-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
OP Offline
U
Hi all. I found this site through a collector I met at the local gun show. He is one of the members here and wrote the book, "A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle and its Predecessors the Model 1895 and 1899." I bought a rifle from him, a Savage 1899 made in 1916, .30-30, and the rifle is aboslutely fantastic. Shoots extremely well with better accuracy than I dared hope for.
Re: My title, my first firearm was a Savage in .300 Savage. In the early '60s, at age 14, I shot my first deer with this rifle. I bought the gun at a local pawn shop for $30. Afterward, my father - whose biggest problem with alcohol was that he had to stay around until it was all gone - pawned my Savage for $20. I managed to scrape the money together to buy the gun back (you could do that in those pre-1968 GC days; al you needed was the pawn ticket. They didn't even ask you for ID to make sure you were the one who pawned the gun). I think it cost me something like $24 to get the rifle out of pawn. A couple of months later, though, he pawned the rifle again and I just could not raise the money to get the gun out of pawn.
I vowed to someday buy a rifle just like that one, knowing I'd never see mine again. Several years ago I found a Savage 99A in .250-3000 and bought it for around $400 plus a lot of ammo, but this rifle didn't feel like my old one. I think this one was made around 1980 (sn D107291 but I can't find that sn in the book). I sold it for $350 to an older gentleman who had to sell his years ago in order to buy a wedding ring for his bride.
The book I cited is excellent! If you have't read it, you're in for a treat. However, and I don't mean anything derogatory, I am more confused than ever regarding models, suffixes, etc! To me it's as if Savage tried as hard as they could to confuse future buyers! After reading the book, I still don't know if my rifle was an 1899A, a 99A (pre-war or post-war), or one of the short rifles. Realize I'm working off of 50 years plus memories but what I recall is: A (crowned) barrel of 22 or 24 inches, schnable forend, straight lever, walnut stock (non-perch belly, with cheek pads, and not checkered), cartridge counter (oval, I think), loaded chamber indicator on top of receiver, no barrel bands, sliding safety on the lever, rear buckhorn sights, and ramp front sights. Someone had previously installed a recoil pad so I don't know what the original butt was. The strange thing is the forearm (I'm pretty sure) was hollow - not solid. I also wonder which parts are interchangeable as this rifle, when I had it, was old and I don't know what had been changed prior to me coming along. I'm guessing the rifle was a 99A, pre-war. But was this an 1899A short barrel rifle? Maybe an 1899 E Light Weight? The receiver was not drilled and tapped; nothing was written on the receiver. I don't recall the word SAVAGE in big letter anywhere on the barrel or receiver. The rifle was not a take-down.
Sorry this is so long, but as you know, these are very special rifles -way ahead of their time and I will forever be looking for one to replace my first gun.
Take care -

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is this close?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you bought it in the 60's and it was in 300 Savage, there's a very good chance it was a 99EG - just based on how many 99EG's there are compared to other models.

I'll show a pic of an EG below. Otherwise, what else do you remember about it? Did it have the thin forearm with a schnabel tip, or a rounded end? Was the stock checkered? Was the receiver drilled and tapped for scope bases?

Here's an EG:

[Linked Image]

PS: Welcome to the campfire!

Crud.. I missed your description. Definitely not an EG.
A (crowned) barrel of 22 or 24 inches, schnable forend, straight lever, walnut stock (non-perch belly, with cheek pads, and not checkered), cartridge counter (oval, I think), loaded chamber indicator on top of receiver, no barrel bands, sliding safety on the lever, rear buckhorn sights, and ramp front sights.

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/14/16.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Michael, welcome to the forum. Be sure to stop by my tables in Ogden Jan 8 and 9.
It sounds like your earlier rifle was either a 99E with a lightweight barrel or medium weight barrel or a 99C with the heavier rifle weight barrel. The latter has the front sight dovetailed into the barrel where the other two have ramps which are different. See Figure 5-14 page 68 for a breakdown of the sights. 300 Savage came out about 1920 the same time as the "19" was dropped from the model designation. Savage Model 99 versus Model 1899. But another point of confusion the receiver ring was stamped "Savage Model 1899" until at least 1925. Hope this helps. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ultimate_Predator
Hi all. I found this site through a collector I met at the local gun show. He is one of the members here and wrote the book, "A Collector's Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle and its Predecessors the Model 1895 and 1899." I bought a rifle from him, a Savage 1899 made in 1916, .30-30, and the rifle is aboslutely fantastic. Shoots extremely well with better accuracy than I dared hope for.
Re: My title, my first firearm was a Savage in .300 Savage. In the early '60s, at age 14, I shot my first deer with this rifle. I bought the gun at a local pawn shop for $30. Afterward, my father - whose biggest problem with alcohol was that he had to stay around until it was all gone - pawned my Savage for $20. I managed to scrape the money together to buy the gun back (you could do that in those pre-1968 GC days; al you needed was the pawn ticket. They didn't even ask you for ID to make sure you were the one who pawned the gun). I think it cost me something like $24 to get the rifle out of pawn. A couple of months later, though, he pawned the rifle again and I just could not raise the money to get the gun out of pawn.
I vowed to someday buy a rifle just like that one, knowing I'd never see mine again. Several years ago I found a Savage 99A in .250-3000 and bought it for around $400 plus a lot of ammo, but this rifle didn't feel like my old one. I think this one was made around 1980 (sn D107291 but I can't find that sn in the book). I sold it for $350 to an older gentleman who had to sell his years ago in order to buy a wedding ring for his bride.
The book I cited is excellent! If you have't read it, you're in for a treat. However, and I don't mean anything derogatory, I am more confused than ever regarding models, suffixes, etc! To me it's as if Savage tried as hard as they could to confuse future buyers! After reading the book, I still don't know if my rifle was an 1899A, a 99A (pre-war or post-war), or one of the short rifles. Realize I'm working off of 50 years plus memories but what I recall is: A (crowned) barrel of 22 or 24 inches, schnable forend, straight lever, walnut stock (non-perch belly, with cheek pads, and not checkered), cartridge counter (oval, I think), loaded chamber indicator on top of receiver, no barrel bands, sliding safety on the lever, rear buckhorn sights, and ramp front sights. Someone had previously installed a recoil pad so I don't know what the original butt was. The strange thing is the forearm (I'm pretty sure) was hollow - not solid. I also wonder which parts are interchangeable as this rifle, when I had it, was old and I don't know what had been changed prior to me coming along. I'm guessing the rifle was a 99A, pre-war. But was this an 1899A short barrel rifle? Maybe an 1899 E Light Weight? The receiver was not drilled and tapped; nothing was written on the receiver. I don't recall the word SAVAGE in big letter anywhere on the barrel or receiver. The rifle was not a take-down.
Sorry this is so long, but as you know, these are very special rifles -way ahead of their time and I will forever be looking for one to replace my first gun.
Take care -

Did it look like this?
[Linked Image]

If so, what you are looking for could very likely be an 'E' lightweight.

IC B2

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks, all, for the welcome. When searching for info at this forum I hsppened upon someone asking where is a good place to find manufacture dates for Savage 99/1899 rifles. The response said all I needed to know about this forum: "Here"
E lightweight.. perhaps but I'm pretty sure the front sight was ramped.
David: 99E? Could be. Per "The Book" would have to be a medium weight, long integral front sight (#7 in fig 5-14). The rifle looked like the top rifle in fig 5-4 (p61) though, as I wrote, someone had added a recoil pad. Not easy to tell in the referenced photo but the rear sight was a dovetail buckhorn as opposed to the "flat" blade in figure 5-5 (p61). Oh, and I've given a couple of lectures at the Browning museum (did one last week on Win 1886/71) so I might be manning the Browning table at the next gun show. At any rate, I'll be sure to stop by.
Fireball2: Yeah. Like that. But recoil pad.
Take care, all. And thanks again for making me feel welcome.
Mike
Oh, one more thing. I can't see an option to be notified upon replies or new posts to this topic. Is there one? If so, how?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can be notified of private messages, but no notifications to replies on threads.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Michael, it sounds like a later 99E. The earliest medium weight barrel E had a front sight like the one sixth from the left in Fig. 5-14. Probably in 1927 they went to the long ramp with the dove-tailed front sight.
See you in Ogden. David

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/18/16.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

U
OP Offline
U
Thanks

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 01Foreman400, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,923
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.