Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by cast10K
Are any of you seeing a difference in terminal performance between the M's and X's? How does either one compare to let's say a 139 scenar?

There is a difference between the ELD-X and M. Depending on what bullet and what speed they can act quite similar or very different. In general the ELD-M and AMAX will expand/fragment more than the X's. Most of the Scenars are quite tough and tend to expand and hold together more than other match bullets.

What everyone can't seem to/doesn't want to understand about bullets such as the ELD-X's and LR Accubonds is that they are designed to work at low impact velocities YET still hold together enough to reach vitals at close range. You can choose a bullet that looks great when pulled from a dead animal at 20 yards yet expands minimally or not at all at sub 2,000fps, or you can choose a bullet that holds together just enough to reach vitals at 20 yards yet completely expands/upsets below 2,000fps.

You ARE NOT going to get picture perfect mushrooms with 100% weight retention AND good upset at 1,600-1,800fps from the same bullet- ain't happening.

+1

There are trade offs and compromises with most everything. Kinda like wanting a 12oz scope that tracks like a 24oz+ scope, or a 6lb rifle for ELR work.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cast10K
Appreciate the feedback, but not sure where you got that I'm looking for perfect mushrooms, or that I don't understand impact velocity.

The top paragraph was for you, the bottom was not.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I see that now, wasn't as clear on my phone. Thanks again.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, great feedback on this question. I'm feeling that at the least, this bullet will make a great practice bullet and game bullet for when my partitions and ABLR aren't available, which seems to be almost always in this configuration.
Glad to know these are reliable expanders at somewhat slower velocities as this is going to be my go-to long range rifle and probably my everything rifle for the foreseeable future if it shoots like I hope it will.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems like the ABLR is a better choice at least in 6.5 143 form if they will shoot in your rifle. Better for me as short range performance is needed much more than LR I rarely shoot past 3-400 and never 5 so probably should go back to the Hornaday IB but they don't look as sexy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Tejano
Seems like the ABLR is a better choice at least in 6.5 143 form if they will shoot in your rifle. Better for me as short range performance is needed much more than LR I rarely shoot past 3-400 and never 5 so probably should go back to the Hornaday IB but they don't look as sexy.

The ABLR has the same exact behavior at high velocities as the ELD-X. In general the ELD-X tends to penetrate a bit more than the ABLR at high impact velocities.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just got back from a Bezoar hunt in the Aladaglar Mts. in Turkey.
I could not get any closer without risking the stalk and ended up shooting my Ibex at 347yds using a 143gr ELD-X from my 6,5x57R Blaser kipplauf.
Muzzle speed was 2,780fps.
Bullet impacted in the center of the scapula without touching the spine, and exited right behind the opposite shoulder.
Exit hole was about an inch in diameter, somewhat less, and internal damage was good but not massive or indicative of extensive bullet fragmentation.
[Linked Image]
The animal was a 9 1/2 year old specimen and weighed 180-190 lbs live.
I have shot a few animals with the 140gr A-Max at the same speed and internal damage has been much larger than on this sample of one, even at longer distances and lower impact speeds.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What a animal! Please tell us more. Thanks for sharing.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What an amazing photo, chamois. Is that a K95 Blaser?
Thanks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on the ibex! They are crazy cool looking!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you, Gentlemen!

Yes, it is a K95 Blaser. I do all of my hunting with one. They are handy and accurate and I find very convenient the fact that you can break them down.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shot two antelope with the 143 ELD-x out of a 6.5 SAUM at 3100 fps MV.
First was an antelope buck at 319 yards. Bullet entered the on side shoulder took out one lung and had a little shrapnel in the off side lung, just enough to kill it.
The buck ran about 80 yards and fell over dead.

The second was a doe antelope out of same weapon at 464 yards broadside. Bullet entered just a hair forward of the crease and created a giant entry wound. The doe went about 50 yards on three legs then stood for about 20-30 seconds before falling over dead.

So I suppose you could say they worked but I wasn't too impressed.

I was intentionally trying to hit the shoulder to test them and see what would happen if they hit the shoulder by mistake.

They were very accurate in my rifle and I wanted them to work out but after the two antelope I went back to 140 vld's in this rifle.

Next animal was a 2.5 year old muley buck at 445 yards just behind the shoulder. Deer dropped on impact and rolled down a small hill dead instantly. Typical berger performace, small entrance, destroyed internal organs and lodged under skin on the off side shoulder.

Here is the entrance on the doe antelope after removing the shoulder.

[Linked Image]

Here is the recovered Berger vld from the Muley

[Linked Image]

I gave the ELD-X an honest try but after the results from the first two impacts on live animals I could not justify using them at these speeds.

Probably killed over 40 animals with 130 and 140 vld's from 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 SAUM with speeds from 2690 to 3100 MV and ranges from 30 yards to over 500 yards. I can't remember one animal going more than 40 yards after being hit and some of the hits were not great. Most drop dead on impact.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good stuff - thanks for sharing.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Anyone try these on game?

6.5MM .264 147 GR ELD MATCH

It seems they would hold together better.

Thanks

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Why do you think they would "hold together better"?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Chamois, that is uber badass!

Excellent pic!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Because they weigh 4 extra grains laugh

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I thought I had read they were a little harder being "match" kind of like the a-max to bthp comparison. Am I off base? Thanks for the reply

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

I thought I had read they were a little harder being "match" kind of like the a-max to bthp comparison. Am I off base? Thanks for the reply

Yes sir. Hornady's HPBT's are "tougher" than A-MAX's of the same weight. ELD-M's are A-MAX's in construction and therefore tend to be very rapid upsetting/expanding bullets. ELD-X's are A-MAX's with an Interlock ring. The ring helps keep the jacket and core together in order to offer enough penetration if a close shot happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BurninDupont

Yes sir. Hornady's HPBT's are "tougher" than A-MAX's of the same weight. ELD-M's are A-MAX's in construction and therefore tend to be very rapid upsetting/expanding bullets. ELD-X's are A-MAX's with an Interlock ring. The ring helps keep the jacket and core together in order to offer enough penetration if a close shot happens.

Having said that, I've seen certain A-Max's hold together well enough to penetrate more than necessary on close, difficult-angle shots. I'll have no hesitation trying out the ELD-M on game once I run out of AM's...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.