Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is the good , bad & ugly on their rifles ?

Looks like they manufacture Model 70 "clones" ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A simple search will land you loads of info on this.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They had start up issues like many companies. Have an early rifle of theirs that I'm very happy with, just took a while to get it. A much better co now and my campfire 260 Rem is all I hoped it would be. Some have complained they are heavy compared to others. Again a search will get you many opinions.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
6mm250,

They Montana 1999 actions are not Model 70 clones. The most externally obvious are the M70-type trigger, safety and bottom metal, but otherwise they're a sort of combination of M70 and 98 Mauser. I've owned a hunted with a 7x57 on the "short" (actually mid-length) 1999 action for a decade now, and it's excellent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm shooting a new 1999 this weekend, in .300 RUM. will be interesting to see how it does.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a 1999 LA Mag,, new from a forum member. While waiting on it I called Montana about tenon specs. They said they don't give out that info. I called back again and got the same answer. I said,"What follower comes with it"? Again, no answer. Their customer service is the $HITS! It does look nice and when I get around to it, I will chamber an Obermeyer barrel that I've had for several years, in 300 Win Mag. The tenon is simple. It is approx .750 long and 1"X12TPI. It has a small C ring and will require no extractor cut. Pretty easy.
Unless I find another cheaper than this, I will pass because of the nonexistent customer service.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I bought an X2 and love it. Would recommend the rifle highly.

I also second their crappy customer service. I did call for the inch pound suggestion and got that. Then I called back and asked if they had any torq or allen style action screws since the slotted ones that came with the rifle were easy to bugger when tightning the stock to their specs. I was told yes and they got my information and sent the screws. Both were too short for the front screw.

A call back to them said they would take care of the problem and send me the right length screw. A month later and numerous calls and emails had not worked.

Next try was to post my problem on their Facebook page. That got immediate results. The new screws were in my hand in less than a week.

This is from memory since I have deleted the old emails but it seems I talked to Jeremy. He was the one that promised everything but did not have the ability to do anything but talk.

Their rifle is a huge YES but if you have a problem, go to the owner for help.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have one right now.No problems and it is a shooter.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two, an X2 .243 and an ASR in 6.5x55, both of them bought within the last 14 months.

Summary: The MRC Model 1999 is a nice basic rifle and a great design that IME is flawed in execution. Montana Rifle Company customer service is sub-standard.

Pros:
- They are both accurate out of the box. Not Tikka accurate, but sub-moa with several loads.
- Triggers are good to very good. I’ve only adjusted the pull weight on mine, the .243 is nicely crisp, breaks about 2 3/4 pounds and is still bounce-proof safe at that pull weight. The ASR breaks at about 3 and isn’t quite as glass rod crisp but is good for a hunting rifle.
- Actions are pretty smooth, at least they smooth up quickly with use.
- The X2 stock is a bit thick through the action and forearm but is nicely contoured and fairly thin in the pistol grip. I like their X2 stock.
- The “short” action has a 3.1” magazine. So it’s not super short but there is more than enough room for any short action cartridge and bullet combo as well as room for the older Mauser based cases.

Cons:
- The .243 won’t feed soft nose or hollow point bullets reliably, at least one out of every magazine is jammed into the action collar. The 2nd to last round would not some up reliably so the bolt passes over it. It only feeds plastic tipped bullets but still skips the 2nd to last round. I sent it back to get it fixed but it wasn’t. The Swede has no feeding issues, it feeds cases very smoothly.
- They are heavy. Both of mine weigh in the mid-upper 8 pound range, even with a fairly lightweight scope and Talley lightweight mounts.
- The ASR stock has a very nice ergonomic design but the wood and finish is nowhere near what I’d expect for a $1,000+ rifle. The wood is plain as a tin cup and the “baby crap brown” color that Dogzapper used to describe current Ruger #1’s, and the finish frankly looks like something you’d see on Walmart office furniture.
- Getting back to mag length - I got mine in 6.5 Swede precisely because it has that 3.1” mag. Although somewhat perversely they still use an 1890’s military throat so even with that magazine I can’t hit the lands with 100-120 grain bullets and still maintain anything but the shallowest seating depth. The 100 grain bullets are completely outside the case at an OAL that touches the lands. But that’s just with the 6.5x55 AFAIK, a .260 or anything else should have tons of room to seat long bullets out longly.

Customer Service: Atrocious.
- I got an email back that something was going to be done, it wasn’t. After three weeks I emailed again and get a reply “oh, I told so-and-so to get it done but he must have dropped the ball”. That's a summary of my email experiences, I won't bore anyone with the many details.
- The .243 was sent back back twice to get the feeding issue fixed but it never was.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ordered a 6.5 creedmoor X2 in April. They said it would be complete in 4 months ( July). I still don't have it.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I have two, an X2 .243 and an ASR in 6.5x55, both of them bought within the last 14 months.

Summary: The MRC Model 1999 is a nice basic rifle and a great design that IME is flawed in execution. Montana Rifle Company customer service is sub-standard.

Pros:
- They are both accurate out of the box. Not Tikka accurate, but sub-moa with several loads.
- Triggers are good to very good. I’ve only adjusted the pull weight on mine, the .243 is nicely crisp, breaks about 2 3/4 pounds and is still bounce-proof safe at that pull weight. The ASR breaks at about 3 and isn’t quite as glass rod crisp but is good for a hunting rifle.
- Actions are pretty smooth, at least they smooth up quickly with use.
- The X2 stock is a bit thick through the action and forearm but is nicely contoured and fairly thin in the pistol grip. I like their X2 stock.
- The “short” action has a 3.1” magazine. So it’s not super short but there is more than enough room for any short action cartridge and bullet combo as well as room for the older Mauser based cases.

Cons:
- The .243 won’t feed soft nose or hollow point bullets reliably, at least one out of every magazine is jammed into the action collar. The 2nd to last round would not some up reliably so the bolt passes over it. It only feeds plastic tipped bullets but still skips the 2nd to last round. I sent it back to get it fixed but it wasn’t. The Swede has no feeding issues, it feeds cases very smoothly.
- They are heavy. Both of mine weigh in the mid-upper 8 pound range, even with a fairly lightweight scope and Talley lightweight mounts.
- The ASR stock has a very nice ergonomic design but the wood and finish is nowhere near what I’d expect for a $1,000+ rifle. The wood is plain as a tin cup and the “baby crap brown” color that Dogzapper used to describe current Ruger #1’s, and the finish frankly looks like something you’d see on Walmart office furniture.
- Getting back to mag length - I got mine in 6.5 Swede precisely because it has that 3.1” mag. Although somewhat perversely they still use an 1890’s military throat so even with that magazine I can’t hit the lands with 100-120 grain bullets and still maintain anything but the shallowest seating depth. The 100 grain bullets are completely outside the case at an OAL that touches the lands. But that’s just with the 6.5x55 AFAIK, a .260 or anything else should have tons of room to seat long bullets out longly.

Customer Service: Atrocious.
- I got an email back that something was going to be done, it wasn’t. After three weeks I emailed again and get a reply “oh, I told so-and-so to get it done but he must have dropped the ball”. That's a summary of my email experiences, I won't bore anyone with the many details.
- The .243 was sent back back twice to get the feeding issue fixed but it never was.

They get their ASR stock from Boyds.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting, I didn't know that. Wherever it is sourced from, it is plain with a cheap looking finish. A few weeks after getting the ASR I bought a Tikka Hunter for about 2/3 the price. The wood on the Hunter is far superior in color, grain and finish.

MRC really has a great idea - meld the best of the Models 98 and 70. The barreled action is generally pretty darn good, I'm chalking up the .243 to an abberation, even the best companies occasionally turn out lemons.

But their customer service still leaves a lot to be desired.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a CZ Model 3 which is a M1999 action made under contract for CZ when they wanted to get into the WSM market. Mine is chambered in 300 WSM and when I first purchased it, it only liked to chamber Winchester ammo. When trying to close the chamber on Federal brass you really had to force the bolt closed. I never fired any federal rounds until I had a gunsmith look at it. They cleaned up the chamber and it really has worked flawlessly with whatever I've fed it ever since. It shoots between 1.25 and 1.50 with factory ammo. I haven't shot anything other than federal power-shok and Winchester ballistic tips. So it might do better with a premium round, IDK.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.