Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
swarf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Is he still alive?

I have some correspondence from him back from when he started the Knives Annuals. I also hit him up on a couple other matters. I checked around on the web. I found an obit for Kenneth Haywood Warner. April 15, 1943 / June 14, 2016 at Culpeper. VA.

What does anyone know of him? What did he do in his later years?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Don't know for sure, but I've heard nothing of his death. I would guess he was born in the 1930s. Certainly among the best editors ever for AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. Far better magazine during his years.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
swarf,

I haven't seen Ken for years but haven't heard anything, and probably would through gun-writer gossip. Though if it happened while I was on a trip somewhere, might not have.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had lots of dealings with Ken, quite the crusty, cantankerous, character, but he always treated me well and I liked him. He was born in 1928, so he's getting up there. About five years ago I had the occasion to contact him, and found him alive and well. At the time, he was in his early 80s and had just built a new house in Greenville, WV.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
He sounds like a guy I would like.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ken is alive and well and just as crusty and cantankerous in WV.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I recently reread his Practical Book of Knives and Practical Book of Guns both written in the late 70's and once again I was amazed at the amount of good common sense advice in both of them, they are just as relevant now as the day they were written.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
BeardHunter,

Thanks for the news. Give him my regards!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I surely will. About time for him and Fred to make an appearance in my office. I never knew he was THE Mr. Warner until a few years ago. I've never let on and don't really plan to, but I'm sure he will enjoy knowing you asked.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks. And welcome to the Campfire!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thank you. I've actually been on here for 16 years. My login stopped working long ago and was setup from a longer defunct email. I re-upped when I saw the post about Ken.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Ken is a GREAT guy and he would probably be surprised that he was instrumental in my writing. I really never became a noteworthy writer but, hopefully, I made a tiny contribution.

Anyway, Ken should always be remembered as a forerunner in modern outdoor writing.

Did I mention that he was a GREAT guy? grin

Blessings and Merry Christmas to all.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought a knife from Ken a couple years ago, a neat folding design of his. Last I checked his website was no longer active -- don't know any more.

Paul
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Please give him my warm regards as well. I've been tempted to call him in recent years; I always enjoyed chatting with him and reading his letters from his mountain top.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Ken is a GREAT guy and he would probably be surprised that he was instrumental in my writing. I really never became a noteworthy writer but, hopefully, I made a tiny contribution.

Anyway, Ken should always be remembered as a forerunner in modern outdoor writing.

Did I mention that he was a GREAT guy? grin

Blessings and Merry Christmas to all.

Steve

It's so interesting to hear from guys that actually knew the authors of articles in various publications.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
In support of dogzapper's comments...After following the various Gun Digest publications for many years, it became obvious that Ken Warner gave that first opportunity to more than a few novice writers.

I think other editors of the various Gun Digest publications also followed suit to some extent, but Ken Warner may have been the standout in the crowd.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Ken is alive and well and just as crusty and cantankerous in WV.

so, he's in WV now; I met him when he lived in Annandale, VA about 30 years ago. Hope all is well with him.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gun Digest was always a Christmas gift I looked forward to!

Politics is War by Other Means
B
B
Update on an old topic.

Ken Warner retired in West Virginia, in recent years developed Parkinson's Disease, and a couple of years ago relocated to Austin, Texas where his daughter could oversee his care. He lived in assisted living for around a year, had surgery and had a reaction to the general anesthesia, and went downhill from there. He passed in May, 2019. News of his passing did not become public until today.

In addition to his writing about guns, editing American Rifleman and Gun Digest in their heyday, he also created the "Knives Annual" series and is credited with writing the first mainstream article about handmade knives in 1966. He was a member of the Cutlery Hall of Fame and the American Bladesmith's Cutlery Hall of Fame.

I was fortunate to have called him a friend, mentor, and hunting companion. The world is a darker place without him, and both the gun and knife industries have lost a friend.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very sorry to hear that. As noted earlier in this older thread, I wrote for Ken for a number of years, and also go to know him at a couple of less formal gatherings in his part of the world.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.