Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I remember SE Idaho winters... drifts in the road that were taller than my head. Of course, I was 5 at the time.

As a teenager, we'd sometimes get headed down our drifted road, as fast as we could go. We'd hit a drift, the car would shudder, and some of the drift would go over the top of the car. As long as you could keep momentum, you could make it. If not, there was always the farm tractor to pull you out.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

This is the most snow I have seen on the ground, and the longest it has gone without getting rained off in about twenty years.

24 years, actually, IIRC.

I am loving it. A regular dose of real winter weather helps keep out the riffraff. I dream of a winter like '82, where all the amateurs park it 'til the snow melts. That would send a few buttercups south.

BTW - a word for you and your Toyota....Blizzak. Amazing tires!

Dear Lord, me too... I was freshly graduated from college out of state and working for Morrison Knudsen in Boise, when I met my future wife at BSU. That winter, leading up to our marriage in July '83 (and 33 years strong!) was the happiest of my life... Thanks all for the memories...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

This is the most snow I have seen on the ground, and the longest it has gone without getting rained off in about twenty years.

24 years, actually, IIRC.

I am loving it. A regular dose of real winter weather helps keep out the riffraff. I dream of a winter like '82, where all the amateurs park it 'til the snow melts. That would send a few buttercups south.

BTW - a word for you and your Toyota....Blizzak. Amazing tires!

Dear Lord, me too... I was freshly graduated from college out of state and working for Morrison Knudsen in Boise, when I met my future wife at BSU. That winter, leading up to our marriage in July '83 (and 33 years strong!) was the happiest of my life... Thanks all for the memories...

Oh yeah - winter of '82......Started snowing the day after Christmas and never stopped until the day after New Years. Shut the whole Treasure Valley down. It was awesome.

Roads plowed, but now drifting over again in spots. Had to pull a nephew out of a drift. I'll be fetching grandkids in the morning, 'cause they're drifted in at their home too much for the mini van.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Woke up this morning to an absolutely clear blue sky, 18 degree temp to bring a snap to the air and bright sunshine on all that pure white new fallen snow.

Couldn't ask for a more beautiful Christmas Day.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hadn't thought about this for a long time...

My sister and I brought our families home to Mom and Dad's place for Christmas when my kids were small. That would put the time about 1974 or so.

The power company had recently put in a new line that supplied several communities, but they had not properly tensioned the wires. We got a cold snap, and lost a lot of power poles as the wire contracted. We had three days with no power, and two kids with measles.

Still, it was a great time. We had a fireplace to keep warm, good company, plenty to eat, and the roads were open so we could drive in to Idaho Falls for supplies.

Be not weary in well doing.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The only time I was ever pulled over by the law was during that time in '82. Fired up one of the sleds and pulled ours and all of the other neighborhood kids. Somebody didn't think it was safe and called it in. Only received a warning because the LEO got stuck on our street and I towed him out to the main street.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That winter of '82, I actually missed out on the storm. I had left to visit friends in California just as the storm was ramping up. By the time I was half way from Marsing to Jordan Valley, it was getting pretty deep. Stopped to pull a retired couple who were on their way back from visiting family on Christmas back onto the road (I was driving my 1/2 ton GMC 4x4 with skinny traction tires).

Got stopped at the Oregon border along with a line of vehicles because OSP were there and not letting anyone continue without chains. Guy in front of me in a Toyota 4x4 came up and after a short discussion, he says "If you and I go together, I bet they can't stop us or catch us". I agreed, and we did. We got ignored, and kept right on going.

Spent the week near the Cali coast (constant rain) and left for home on Jan 2. Pulled several cars back on the road on the way. Attended a wreck (left blankets with family of injured) until medics arrived near Burns Jct. Road from Marsing in was just recently plowed (I think they had to use a blower) and it was cab-high on the sides. Hardly any other vehicles were moving in Nampa.

Had I known how it was going to go that week, I would have stayed for the whole show. OTOH - I never asked for any payment, but all but one driver that I pulled out of the snow on that trip insisted on paying some for the favor (retired couple bought me lunch in JV). I literally made that trip for free. The one guy who didn't offer any money (or even a thank you) was also driving the most expensive car (a Mercedes). Skiing was great that year.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
That's funny. I met my wife the fall of 82. I remember that winter very well, but it ain't snow that I remember. We got married 2-13-83.

Well I do remember the roads a bit. I was clocking about 115 miles a day to work, my folks home, and fiances house. I had just bought a new 82 Toyota 2wd pu.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't it 84 that set the record for the longest the ground was continuously covered in snow Boise?
IIRC the worst freezing rain I ever had to drive in was that winter. Was going 10 or 15 down off the bench and didn't think I was going to be able to stop before I slid out into cross traffic, pucker factor four, no doubt.

We have about a foot in the front yard here, I had to use the 4x4 today to get where i needed to go. Two wheeled car would have never made it.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmCreedmoor, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 9 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,757
Posts18,476,393
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.