Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't even remember the number of times a GPS was giving me bad directions and called bullschit.

BTW- don't trust them when you're in other countries, either. If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. Have had them try to dump bad juju on me in MX and Italy, multiple times in both countries.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"Not his call in the first place."

That is exactly what I thought, given that the "man" stayed in the car and the woman hiked the blizzard.
She told him where they were going and he said "Yes dear."

He is probably a good metrosexual.

Not much is known about the husband but the wife had survival training (allegedly) and was tri-athlete. Probably best that she went although looking back at it. They should have just called for help in the first place!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have GPS & nav systems in both cars. Also a handheld Garmin. Still, if I'm going somewhere new, I'll almost always carry a regular map as a backup, and study it beforehand so I have a good understanding where I am going. And backup warm clothes, food, water, etc. in the winter. Sat messenger isn't a bad idea, either.

and yeah, besides not planning, he should turn in his man card. frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

First time I took an eighteen wheeler into Sydney using a gps I worked out how much I could trust the system.

My go to is the current edition of the 'truckies atlas' with gps as a very general guide for highway.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But she had taken a wilderness SURVIVAL class.

Why the hell did things go wrong?

I just don't get it?

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by g5m
Trust GPS?

Not too much.

I trust GPS a lot. Map data? Not so much. grin

Not too happy with the water maps? grin

The first time I tried the new super duper GPS system in my new at that time car, I put in the destination and it wanted me to go off into the Superstition wilderness, about 100 degrees southeast of the direction I knew I needed to go. So, I don't mind using it as long as it's a backup to a map. Also, in heavy rain/snow it's not too reliable it seems. Poor signal.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10 bucks the 'man' was driving.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
There is an unimproved mountain road up here connecting two valleys that is not maintained for winter travel. It's 13 miles across using this road but to go around on paved roads is 60 miles. On several occasions travelers have programmed their GPS for the shortest route only to end up stranded. A buddy made $1,500 one time using his bull dozer to drag out an 18 wheeler that became hopelessly stuck. The county finally listened to complaints from the nearest residents and put a gate across the road.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The classic was the case about 5 years ago when a couple from BC left the highway in so. Idaho and ended up in no. Nevada where they got stuck in snow. The man tried to walk out and never made it. Hunters found his body a year later. The woman was rescued after 7 weeks. She stayed in their van.
They were on their way to convention in either Reno or Vegas. I don't know if anyone figured out why they left the highway.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had GPS try to get me lost in places that I KNEW, trying to get me to go down a road that I KNEW wasn't passable. I've pretty much given up on 'em.

I don't listen to them much. I look at old-fashioned road atlases and Mapquest, and follow my own "internal GPS" and a couple of compasses I keep in the vehicles.

I am NOT directionally challenged, like my wife is. I can do pretty well just by the seat of my britches. Wifey can get lost in the back yard. Road signs help a bit, too.

I DO use Mapquest, to try to get the closest routing, or to avoid places like NYC or Chitcago. It's been pretty useful for that purpose, but I wouldn't want to rely on it out in the wide open spaces.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"Not his call in the first place."

That is exactly what I thought, given that the "man" stayed in the car and the woman hiked the blizzard.
She told him where they were going and he said "Yes dear."

He is probably a good metrosexual.

Not much is known about the husband but the wife had survival training (allegedly) and was tri-athlete. Probably best that she went although looking back at it. They should have just called for help in the first place!

Very well stated. Choose teh best tool for each job. Not very hard to figure that out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have vetoed Garmin directions on several occasions but then I most always have maps too. You gotta watch how you program ie.. shortest-fastest etc...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I have GPS & nav systems in both cars. Also a handheld Garmin. Still, if I'm going somewhere new, I'll almost always carry a regular map as a backup, and study it beforehand so I have a good understanding where I am going. And backup warm clothes, food, water, etc. in the winter. Sat messenger isn't a bad idea, either.

and yeah, besides not planning, he should turn in his man card. frown

He climbed a hill and called for help after giving her plenty of time to freeze to death. smirk

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Several times out here in the big, big West, I've had my GPS try to turn me off a paved road to send me down a two-rut tractor trail across a pasture. I can only assume that the satellite view didn't see the barbed wire gate across the trail...

Selfish ego damn near killed that family. The park is closed, but we want to see it anyway. So we'll go.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Certainly was a potential Darwin Award pending. I read a number of accounts and the husband and 10 year old boy left the car some time after mom and went in another direction.
So all vacated the rented car that got stuck. Eventually dad got a cell signal and called 911. She saw a sign that said it was 14 miles to the canyon entrance and walked there. She broke in and wrapped up in blankets. "Survived" by eating pine twigs and drinking her urine.
She is a biology professor at a local college in Pennsylvania. I bet she believes in climate change.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
But she had taken a wilderness SURVIVAL class.

Why the hell did things go wrong?

I just don't get it?

She failed to understand what "road closed" meant. Hope the locals send the two idiots a bill for "services rendered".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dawgin'it
There is an unimproved mountain road up here connecting two valleys that is not maintained for winter travel. It's 13 miles across using this road but to go around on paved roads is 60 miles. On several occasions travelers have programmed their GPS for the shortest route only to end up stranded. A buddy made $1,500 one time using his bull dozer to drag out an 18 wheeler that became hopelessly stuck. The county finally listened to complaints from the nearest residents and put a gate across the road.

I picked up a hiker one time in the Bighorn National Forest while elk hunting with my wife. He stated he was lost. Come to find out he was lost in an 18 wheeler and got stuck trying to turn around in front of some cabins. Look up Big Goose ranger station and see where this genius got stuck. you would have thought the 8 foot cattle guards he knocked the sides off of would have been a clue. But he managed to get the trailer off the rig in some rocks before he decided to walk. Which he did in a complete wrong direction. He told the Sheriff's who were looking for him by this time, his GPS did it......

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by Dawgin'it

in the Bighorn National Forest Look up Big Goose ranger station and see where this genius got stuck. .....

My google maps couldn't find it!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've found GPS's work best when you know where you're going....

Enjoy everything.......expect nothing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read a longer story on this. The man was recovering from a broken back. Wife went to go get help, walked 26 miles over 36 hours until she found the cabin and broke in. He spent the night with their son, knew something went wrong with the wife and then struck out the next morning and hiked 15 miles to get to cell signal and called 911. So the story that she saved the family wasn't accurate. She didn't save them. He did and then the rescue guys searched and located her and rescued the boy as well. And yes, they were dumbasses for being there in the first place.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 12/27/16.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.