Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello all. Haven't been around in awhile. Got divorced, lost my house, totaled my car, broke my shoulder, don't get to see my son much, switched jobs 3 times, and have generally just been trying to keep my head up.

I've got a job that I love, got enough to get a new car, and got to see my son on Christmas, but I still feel off. Everything I love is in storage. My firearms, my own bed, all of my woodworking tools. Every picture that I've ever posted of things I've made is gone.

I can still get to the gun shop that I apprentice at sometimes, but I'm looking for a purpose. Something tangible, an accomplishment if you will. A number of years ago, I had a chance to build a rifle for a gentleman in Washington. Classic Mauser, with all the bells and whistles. I did it all myself. Truing the action, forging the bolt, lapping, and facing, poking and prodding. I'd like to do it again, but I don't even have my own place to live.

If any of you are thinking about putting together a Mauser, I'd like the opportunity to build it for you. I don't even feel like charging any labor. I just want the sense of accomplishments, and the joy of putting a beautiful piece of craftsmanship in to someone else's hands. I want to gel whole again.

Thanks for reading.

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have read some good posts here from members that donated a firearm to a kid that might not have been able to afford one for hunting. Wonder if some here have parts that you could use to build a nice rifle for a kid. Even rebuilding and refinishing a worn shotgun might make a young hunter very happy. Have made a few women and youngsters very happy by fitting a shotgun to them (adjustable comb, length of pull etc). Just a thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been where you are. I remember feeling similar. What I learned is that you'll learn from it and life will be better before long. Find a hobby and spend time with your kids every chance you get. Stay out of the bottle and before long life is back on track.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Retrofits and refinishings are my favorite. We used to get piles of No1MkIIi enfields and No4Mk1's. I've done a few tigers and a R.E.M. 700.

Seeing the old finish come off and the beautiful wood underneath. Bead blasting and draw filing pits. Seeing the metal come back.

I did a tang safety ruger 77 in .243 which was a blast.

An old savage 110 or R.E.M. 700 action. The appropriate barrel, etc would be fun.

We're set up at the shop mainly for Mauser 98's. We have framers from .243 to .458 win mag.

Hand building a classic Mauser and presenting it to a young man or woman to go out on their first hunt would be absolutely fascinating.

I've always had a fascination with the .257 Roberts. Never got to build one. I also think a 7-08 would be good for a young hunter or young lady with its good stopping power and lighter recoil.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is the .270 I built awhile back
[Linked Image]

A Mossberg 46M(B) I re did the stock on
[Linked Image]

Finally my favorite (there are many more). A ruger 10/22 I built for an ill friend of mine. I got a piece of Bubinga, and Ruger themselves milled and finished a DSP stock. Every piece was donated, and the thing holds less the 1/2" @100 with SK STD Plus.

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A 10/22 stock I found at a yard sale

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Ruger MKII Clark trigger and Altmont grips
[Linked Image]

Some bright and colorful jobs. The 10/22 in this one shot me a series of 0.035"-0.050" groups at 50y
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Nice rifles

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I got bad new for you. 2016 Dec 31 today will be officially longer. It will be 1 second longer to make up for the slowing rotation of the earth. There will be a 11pm 59 minutes and 61 seconds tonight.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
86thecat

If anyone has a Mauser receiver (preferably a VZ 24 BRNO. May as well make it really nice). I have 5 gal buckets of Mauser stuff. Barrels, probably 30 bottom metals, bold and Timney triggers, Dakota safety's, etc. to build a .257bob, or a 7-08 would require only a stock, barrel and receiver.

We could find a deserving recipient, or even sell $10 or $20 raffle tickets to donate to breast cancer awareness, autism awareness, or any other number of reputable charities.

I love it all and it would make me feel accomplished.

More from the 270

Bolt forging
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Receiver truing
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thinning the trigger guard and drilling and tapping
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stock fitting and bedding and finishing

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/Guns/270WIN/270WINSS-2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/Guns/270WIN/270SS-11.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/Guns/270WIN/270WINSF-1.jpg[/img]

That first one. The one you do by yourself. Every hammer blow, file stroke, sanding swipe, or muslin polishing wheel is all you. I miss it

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got some bad news brother. I don't think another project is going to fill that big ol' hole. Neither is drinking or another woman. If I were in your place I'd rest my spirit and heal up. Best of luck to you friend, you've had a rough spell.

LOL
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've got some bad news brother. I don't think another project is going to fill that big ol' hole. Neither is drinking or another woman. If I were in your place I'd rest my spirit and heal up. Best of luck to you friend, you've had a rough spell.

Might not fill the hole, but the first thing a guy has to realize when he's in a hole is to stop digging. Sounds like Savage 2005 is wanting to stop digging. I don't have any Mauser parts or need a rifle now, but I've been there. Good luck, it's mostly up to you. But you sound like you realize that. Keep us posted.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Savage2005
Hello all. Haven't been around in awhile. Got divorced, lost my house, totaled my car, broke my shoulder, don't get to see my son much, switched jobs 3 times, and have generally just been trying to keep my head up.

I've got a job that I love, got enough to get a new car, and got to see my son on Christmas, but I still feel off. Everything I love is in storage. My firearms, my own bed, all of my woodworking tools. Every picture that I've ever posted of things I've made is gone.

I can still get to the gun shop that I apprentice at sometimes, but I'm looking for a purpose. Something tangible, an accomplishment if you will. A number of years ago, I had a chance to build a rifle for a gentleman in Washington. Classic Mauser, with all the bells and whistles. I did it all myself. Truing the action, forging the bolt, lapping, and facing, poking and prodding. I'd like to do it again, but I don't even have my own place to live.

If any of you are thinking about putting together a Mauser, I'd like the opportunity to build it for you. I don't even feel like charging any labor. I just want the sense of accomplishments, and the joy of putting a beautiful piece of craftsmanship in to someone else's hands. I want to gel whole again.

Thanks for reading.

That's called "da chit".

Pretty much every man has to go through "da chit".

Don't let it get ya down.

It's just a phase. There'll be more.

Life is just a series of phases.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone. I am also set up to build AR's and 1911's. "Gophergetter" has pm'ed me with an opportunity to build him a .25-06 on a CZ VZ24 BRNO action.

I need a good, clean one. If anyone has a source for a complete action or a complete rifle to break down, please let me know. Any and all projects are welcome.

NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You're a talented man and once you get past "da chit" you'll be better than ever. I wish you a wonderful 2017.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I also found pics of the Springfield Trapdoor I built dad for Father's Day from a bucket of parts

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An old Stevens Visible Loader
[Linked Image]

Mossberg 144LSB
[Linked Image]

Savage 1919NRA
[Linked Image]

An FN FAL with a Honey Mesquite turned by me carry handle
[Linked Image]

An RPK
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/RPK-1_zps838649f5.jpg[/img]

And finally the good ol Savage 1899a
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/amg2r/1899A/303Sell2.jpg[/img]

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and listen and help.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still looking. For anything. Old Enfield you need gussied up? That old 20ga break action need a new stock?

I found a great condition 1938 Turkish Mauser action that's ready for a purpose and a home.

I'm also set up for 1911's. I can build them from scratch too.

I found some old pics of a truck gun I built. I think there's a part on here from everyone who ever made a 98. I built it a long time ago, stuck a brand new Nikon Pro Staff on it and never shot it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I toldja 'good luck' with that open relationship crap about 10 years ago.

Pull yourself up and move on. You wouldn't believe the sheithole I was living in after my divorce. I'd only be there about three nights a week for a few hours of sleep.

Most of us go through this crap, but don't complicate it by letting other dudes screw our ladies.

Time to grow up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Find a good woman, move on

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Savage2005

Thanks for reading.

I hate Mausers.

And don't ever look in the mirror and see a khgunt looking back at you.

Ever.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,956 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,528
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.