Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Guys,It's been a long time that I have been on a Guided Hunt.. I have been on 10/15 guided waterfowl hunts.. This was my 1st hog hunt.. What a huge disappointment !!

We get to the lodge and the 1st of many guides/drivers met us and start start talking.. As soon as I ask him about our prospects I can see there was something wrong.. Being a waterfowl nut I know that look/feeling. You have birds or you don't.. Birds go north and sometimes you get stalled migrations or fly overs ETC.. It's up to them.. We all know this if not we learn real fast. I think with animals that never make that 1000 mile journey it's totally different.. You can control them somewhat..

In the passed I would get a guide and you stick with him.. He was your new best friend.. I love to help the guides do guide stuff.. Loading boats setting out decoys PICKING up decoys and just experience all aspects of the hunt other then pulling a trigger.. To be honest the guides in the passed appreciated the extra hand.. Here it was a different person on every move.. And someone forgot to pick us up one night.. 1 hour and 15min after dark the truck showed up..

I am not a good writer it's hard to put into words how you feel when you are the one being baited.. From one of the owner's son's a 20 something a smart mouth dick to no bait or bait,10lbs, put out a few hours before.. The food was not anything like what was promised..
On their website it reads "Executive Plantation Lodge - 3,000 Square Foot, 5 Star Accommodations & Gourmet Meals. "... In reality it was Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes,pork chops, dark meat chicken... Floors that had grit on them.. Bugs in the drawers and on the stove.. Grit on top of the bed, We slept in our clothes on top of the bed using our coats as blankets..

It was not just us that was disappointed it was guys that we did not know.. We all fell for their slick advertising.. You can tell these guys hunt big deer regular and pay the bucks to do it.. Some left early others like us stuck it out.. You can tell these are guys that don't look for something to complain about..It was terrible experience.. I got more stories about this week then enough..

Boy they saw us coming a mile away... Careful Guys...

Anyone have any recommendations about a Hog hunt in North/South Carolina ??

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What is the name and location of the hog hunt you were on?

The info would be a great help to those who are looking for a good hog hunt, and the one you were on would not fit in that category.

Steve

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Was it the Bostic Plantation?

Buy once, cry once.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A quick google search using "Executive Plantation Lodge - 3,000 Square Foot, 5 Star" leads me to believe that this is the place:

http://www.southcarolinatrophyhunters.com/index.html

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

South Carolina Trophy Hunters..

http://southcarolinatrophyhunters.com/index.html

Sorry guys I forgot.. Man I am crushed..
I will bet you the owner and his son's have killed all the deer and game you see on the website..

Example; One 9/12 year old kid has never killed a deer.. His father, a blue collar guy, is trying to get his son his 1st deer.. The guides are not allowed to put them near where the owner's son hunts.. I was put on that stand and deer all over the place... I could go on and on... ALL WEEK 1 button buck and 2 piglets that is all.. Out of 20 guys...

John
=
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
IC B2

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Was it the Bostic Plantation?

Nope..

John
=
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My son and I killed two pigs this AM

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Myself and a few guys went to a similar place like that in Texas. Lot of hype, I think I read where the State of Texas had a law suite on them for false advertising (i think it was the same place).

Nickel and dime a guy to death. The one night we were all sitting around having adult beverages and out of the shadows here comes this 1000 plus pound pig looking for hand outs and a belly rub. Someone's FFA prodject I'd bet. Had someone shot that beast it would have been a "trophy" on their website. And cost you over a grand after all the "trophy fees". Use of the cooler$........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry you got burned. It sucks to be deceived. I've got no tolerance for liars.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hanco

Thanks just what I needed to read... lol... laugh

John
=
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
IC B3

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by viking
Myself and a few guys went to a similar place like that in Texas. Lot of hype, I think I read where the State of Texas had a law suite on them for false advertising (i think it was the same place).

Nickel and dime a guy to death. The one night we were all sitting around having adult beverages and out of the shadows here comes this 1000 plus pound pig looking for hand outs and a belly rub. Someone's FFA prodject I'd bet. Had someone shot that beast it would have been a "trophy" on their website. And cost you over a grand after all the "trophy fees". Use of the cooler$........

Wow... Never even thought about that..

There is a island on the Susquehanna river about 25 acres you pay they release the home grown pigs..

John
=
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cigar
Originally Posted by viking

Wow... Never even thought about that..

There is a island on the Susquehanna river about 25 acres you pay they release the home grown pigs..

This is what scares me about some of these hunts. The last thing I want is to walk into a 25 acre pen and shoot some pig that was grazing in a trough in the barnyard a couple hours ago.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've guided several hunters to their first hog, always for free and for fun. I've never figured out how to make it a fair chase,spot and stalk, hunt with a reasonable chance of success for more than one person at a time.

If it is to be a for profit venture there must be a "canned" aspect to it. The exception is the large S Tx ranches that control enough average to allow feeders to get a few days rest between hunts.

But that makes for awfully expensive pork.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
To offer any reasonable chance of success I think a hog hunt would have to be canned or with dogs. Hogs are just too smart and too unpredictable. If you hunt them at all, they figure how to get scarce in a hurry.

Another option would probably be a night hunt with thermal optics and big agricultural fields where you could drive and look for them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It sucks to blow the money and even more the time

Money you can get more of time no way

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep to the above two posts.It is damn difficult to offer any kind of guaranty on truly wild hogs. Sometimes at our place you can see hundreds of them, just diving around. There hasn't been one seen since the first week of November.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is frustrating to see more dead hogs on the side of the freeway on your way to the hunt than you see in a couple of days of hunting. Plus seeing those roadkills in areas I wouldn't have thought could support such large pigs.

Of course the areas I hunted were of the sort where the hogs were smarter than I am. I found more signs of furtive people than of wild pig. Still it is good to get outdoors and out of the city.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been hosed good on a couple pig hunts.Learned to do more homework, and have found a couple places that are just stellar..but not in your neck of the woods....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I've had an awful lot of fun on DIY public land hunts whether I've had success or not.

As others have said they're unpredictable creatures who learn quickly when they're being hunted. Tough if not impossible to put together the sort of experience you're looking for, though I'd bet there are ranches/estates that focus primarily upon trophy deer where pigs are a secondary quarry that could come close if you time them right?

It's past not passed.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco

Burnet area, hanco? Do y'all eat them?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,070
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.