Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone here have one?

Am thinking I should have one on my "shot list"

Had one in the standard 30 carbine cal. GREAT little rifle!

We had one of these in 9mm at our local shop a while back. Wish now I'd have bought it.

I'm thinking a 9mm in an M1 would be a great match for my P 226, and Glock 43.

Any feedback on these?

Thanks! Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With this rifle you can use your Glock magazines. It's homely as a mud fence at dawn but I'm seeing a truck gun I can interchange my Glock mags with. kwg

https://www.keltecweapons.com/rifles/sub-2000

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The sub2000 is a pile of garbage and not worth the ammo to find out how bad it is.

No idea about that 9mm M1, but I'm interested. Who makes it?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cidatel (SP?) makes the MI carbine in 9mm. If I recall correctly, they are made in Italy.

Look to be good quality.

They also make a 22LR version.

COOL little guns!

Miss typed my first post; It should read; I have an MI carbine in 9mm on my "short" list! not shot list!

Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't see any uptick for converting a perfectly sound .30 Carbine to 9mm.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Price and availability of ammo would be my main reason to purchase one of these.

And it would be nice to be compatible with the same ammo as two of my handguns.

This isn't a conversion of an existing 30 carbine, it's a whole new rifle.

Virgil B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chiappa mostly but I see one 9mm Iver Johnson on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610526882

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another vote against the Keltec Sub 2000. Had one, sold it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I may have to buy a keltec just to see how bad they are.

Have found many times over that something ends up being very workable but ugly and cheap and then gets a bad rap because its not a "lexus"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One of the berretta carbines might be a better idea, Shrapnel swears by them.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as the Kel-tec Sub 2000 goes:

1. sights are in the way of optics, and you have to cut them off to remove, they are molded in. Which is the same gripe I have about the Berettas.

2. Action can fire when unlatched.

3. Poor accuracy. No better than a pistol at 100 yards.

4. Lousy ergos

5. poor trigger

The idea of a carbine that can take popular pistol mags is worthwhile, but it's just not that usable, IMO. There are better options.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had the manufacturer wrong.

Chiappa is correct.

Thanks Fireball!

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

1. sights are in the way of optics, and you have to cut them off to remove, they are molded in. Which is the same gripe I have about the Berettas.

4. Lousy ergos

5. poor trigger

The idea of a carbine that can take popular pistol mags is worthwhile, but it's just not that usable, IMO. There are better options.

A carbine would be a 100 yard tops gun anyway, thats irons for me. Interesting on the firing part, I'd not be wanting to have it loaded while its folded up though? DUnno, have to look into that.

My pistols are pretty accurate at 100 yards generally speaking so its going to be the same then. Plenty good enough to smack a deer if you can hold them well enough.

Ergos, never really mattered to me, we started in service rifle, and as such had to learn to adapt to a fixed gun, and so we can manage ergos.

triggers, that would be an issue for me. Hate bad triggers.

But a fun thing to play with though just to see how bad or good they really are.

But alas to much other to spend money on right now... still want a colt sauer rifle once in my life. Need something big for the big AK bears when we move up...458ish need a backup glock 20 SF so we have one there and one here in the winter... love how the 10mm smacks deer. Still working on finishing the sheep rifle... and so on... and short on cast bullets for pistols and need another 100 pounds or so of powder to stock up on... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495

4. Lousy ergos

5. poor trigger

A carbine would be a 100 yard tops gun anyway, thats irons for me. Interesting on the firing part, I'd not be wanting to have it loaded while its folded up though? DUnno, have to look into that.

My pistols are pretty accurate at 100 yards generally speaking so its going to be the same then. Plenty good enough to smack a deer if you can hold them well enough.

Ergos, never really mattered to me, we started in service rifle, and as such had to learn to adapt to a fixed gun, and so we can manage ergos.

But a fun thing to play with though just to see how bad or good they really are.

But alas to much other to spend money on right now... still want a colt sauer rifle once in my life. Need something big for the big AK bears when we move up...458ish need a backup glock 20 SF so we have one there and one here in the winter... love how the 10mm smacks deer. Still working on finishing the sheep rifle... and so on... and short on cast bullets for pistols and need another 100 pounds or so of powder to stock up on... LOL

rost, he didn't say "as accurate as the best pistols". They really are no more accurate than the average semi-auto 9mm. My sub2000 was significantly less accurate than any of my Glock pistols, at any distance. Kinda stupid to have a carbine that decreases your hit probability compared to a pistol.

There are people who love them, but those are generally the same people who think a 4" group at 10 yards is good shooting.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had one of the KelTec 2000 for a very short while. Best I can say for it is it went bang when you pulled the trigger. Couldn't figure out what it was good for though. Piss poor rabbit gun and seldom get a shot at a coyote close enough for it to be worthwhile. It was kind of fun to burn up a 100 rds of 9mm trying to rolling a can around.

The M1 carbine would be about the same, maybe a little more accurate, but I still can't think of anything it's particularly good for.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I looked at some of the you-tube reviews on the M1-9mm. I wasn't impressed. Ammo sensitive, very heavy spring for blowback action. And the skinny 9mm magazine sticking out the bottom is just plain ugly.

For a 9mm carbine, I'd go Beretta CX4 Storm. Designed from the inception to be a 9mm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by rost495

4. Lousy ergos

5. poor trigger

rost, he didn't say "as accurate as the best pistols". They really are no more accurate than the average semi-auto 9mm. My sub2000 was significantly less accurate than any of my Glock pistols, at any distance. Kinda stupid to have a carbine that decreases your hit probability compared to a pistol.

There are people who love them, but those are generally the same people who think a 4" group at 10 yards is good shooting.

Rough number, about one foot groups at 100 yards was what I saw, and I can beat that with several different pistols, though not with a Glock...which I why I don't have Glocks any more smile

If you take the approach that the old-timers took with revolvers & carbines in the 1800's - "I want a rifle that shoots the same ammo as my revolver, and improves velocity and accuracy at longer ranges" then the Kel-tec is a big Fail.

Depending on your preferred 9mm pistol, then it would be useful to have a rifle that takes the same magazines, and easily accepts optics. I don't particularly want a Beretta pistol, though.

It's always something grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the feedback!

You guys have me re-thinking my "wants"

Cool looking a useful are two different things.

Looks like I should check out the Beretta CX4 Storm.

Can anyone post a link on these?

Thanks! Virgil B.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I'm thinking a 9mm in an M1 would be a great match for my P 226, and Glock 43.

Whereas you already have a Sig or Glock pistol, why not take advantage of a pistol caliber carbine that can take the same magazine?

I have a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, in Sig hand grip model, but the mag catch can be changed out to fit either the Beretta or S&W magazines. And that works for both 9mm and 40 S&W calibers (only in the same caliber ...). That one is a multi-mag design, whereas the GLock model is Glock mags only.

One NEAT TRICK with the Sig is that it accepts CZ-75 magazines! So now my CZ-75B pistol and Sub-2000 carbine use the same hi-cap mags, woo hoo!

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I've had a JR carbine in 9mm for about a year and it's a lot of fun. Trigger is a bit heavy and I'll probably replace it at some point but 50 yard, 5 shot groups are essentially one hole of around 3/4-1" and from 1 1/2-2 1/2 " at 100 with a Leupold (1x-6x I think) shotgun scope. I don't do very well with irons anymore, especially past 25 yards. smile
FWIW, velocities :
Nosler 115 Cust. Comp HP: 1470 fps
R-P 115 fmj: 1330 fps
Blazer Brass 124 fmj: 1380 fps

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.