Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi, I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined as I like to think I am, so it's probably better I ask around.

I've got a tight necked 243ai(.270). I've turned the necks enough (.267) to fire form the brass. The bolt is never super easy to close with a loaded round, even on brass that's been turned more. It opens and closes easily while empty. The issue I'm having is with spent cases. Even with no signs of pressure, the bolt doesn't open easily, and sometimes the bolt opens without extracting the brass. In the instances where the brass has gotten stuck, I've discovered that if I use another bolt (from a 308 win), I'm able to extract the brass every time.

Why would one bolt be able to extract the brass every time but the other not?

M700
243ai
.270 neck
#4 Brux
The action is from a newer 700 ADL youth model.

***My M700 308 win has a much older serial# if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Bradley

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have a gunsmith look at and probably replace the extractor. Simple fix.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would look at replacing the extractor also.cheap easy fix to try first.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is this with brass on that has been fired in another gun or new? Could be if it's not new and been fired in another chamber that it's to big at the .200 line.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Replace the Extractor. You've pretty much proved that by trying the 308 bolt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bolt timing is off. Later 700s have the bolt handle attached too far back. With both bolts installed, measure the distance between the bolt handle and the rear of the receiver. I think you will find that your older bolt has the handle closest to the receiver. You are not getting enough extraction camming.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/03/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having more extraction camming won't make the extractor hang on to the cartridge rim.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He can install another extractor in it, but will do nothing for his hard to cam open the bolt.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bkmcdani
The bolt is never super easy to close with a loaded round, even on brass that's been turned more. It opens and closes easily while empty.

This part bothers me. Is it hard to close just because of forcing the extractor over the case rim? Or are the cases not sized enough? How much are you bumping shoulders back compared to a fired case?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I appreciate your input, seriously. I'll replace the extractor. Seems like relatively cheap fix. I understand it won't make the bolt easier to close, but I've gotten used to that. I figured that was just caused from it having a tighter neck? Even though I'm turning the necks.

Butch, the older bolt is closer to the receiver. What can be done about this? Does this mean there are probably more folks with newer 700's that have this issue?

Thanks again.

IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BK
Contact Dan at accutig and he can fix your bolt handle issue. You will need to supply him a few measurements also.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bkmcdani
I appreciate your input, seriously. I'll replace the extractor. Seems like relatively cheap fix. I understand it won't make the bolt easier to close, but I've gotten used to that. I figured that was just caused from it having a tighter neck? Even though I'm turning the necks.

If you're turning necks, based on the dimensions in your OP, that shouldn't have anything to do with making the bolt hard to close. I don't think you should just get used to the bolt being hard to close, unless you're just referring to forcing the extractor over the rim.

At some point when closing the bolt, you may feel a "click" when the extractor jumps over the case rim. After this point, is the bolt still hard to close? If so, there's probably something not right with the way your cases are sized. Neck too long, shoulder not bumped back enough, etc. It's important to figure that out, because some of the possible causes can raise pressure. Soot or sharpie on the case and bullet can help you figure out where it's tight in the chamber.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just reread your post, if you switch out bolts you must headspace with that bolt. I guess what I am getting at is what yondering is alluding to could be you are not bumping your shoulders back enough so when you use the other bolt its why it closes easier. Turn your sizing die down about 1/4 turn on a case that's hard to close and see if that helps.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dan at www.accu-tig.com. He is inexpensive and really knows his stuff. Very quick turn around. Sherm, I wouldn't fool with bumping the cases back until I knew the problem.
Yes, a lot of new Remington's have that problem.
Youndering is right about your sizing may net be correct. Do you have a way to measure the case length to the datum line on the shoulder for correct headspace? Don't bump the shoulder back unless it is the problem. The base of your brass may not be sized enough. All of this needs to be measured before making die adjustments.
Your problem lifting the bolt handle and extraction is a separate problem.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A bad extractor will often cause hard closing. They can become misshaped and hang out further onto bolt face. This will cause exactly what you're describing. Swap extractor first and go from there.

Chad Dixon at LRI can tig and time a bolt handle if you ever need that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for Dan. He's done great work for me and on top of that... is just a nice fellow.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would pass on Chad and use Dan. Horseman, you are correct, but he is also having hard bolt opening problem.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Butch if he doesn't have a case gauge I would just try it one one case to see if it helps, and I agree he should measure the .200 line and see if that may be the problem. I don't know if his brass has been shot in another rifle before or not

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Butch if he doesn't have a case gauge I would just try it one one case to see if it helps, and I agree he should measure the .200 line and see if that may be the problem. I don't know if his brass has been shot in another rifle before or not

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you also have sizing dies that complement the tight neck in ones chamber?

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.