Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
For those of us (and they exist) who think owning a specific chambering is the key to success.

As stated the difference between a Creedmoor, and the 260 in terms of performance is less that that of a factory vs. a match grade barrel, bad or good brass, and of course shooting skills.

This is the only thing I have seen said in the this vs. that threads, and it should be said.
And now it has.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/04/17.
HR IC

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
For those of us (and they exist) who think owning a specific chambering is the key to success.

As stated the difference between a Creedmoor, and the 260 in terms of performance is less that that of a factory vs. a match grade barrel, bad or good brass, and of course shooting skills.

This is the only thing I have seen said in the this vs. that threads, and it should be said.
And now it has.

Are you refering to hunting, benchrest, or both?

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You sure are tearing it up Trithtan....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice "Try Stan"......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And now it has.

And throw the 6.5x47 Lapua in the mix as well.....

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And now it has.

What?

Are you channeling your inner-Gabby Johnson today?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

And now it has.

You think that's the first time that's been said.....lol

That's funnier than another 6.5/260 thread

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

And now it has.

Does the same apply to 243--6creed too?

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
You mean to tell me that throwing the same bullet at velocities within single-digit percentages of each other makes them close enough as to not matter? Say it ain't so!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cartridges Are More Alike Than Different... the same can't be said of shooters.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ladies and Gentleman:

This is what utter phuqqing boredom looks like.

Thank you,

16 Bore(d)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
lol

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Trystan - Bench rest, hunting, & both ... doesn't matter -

There are also some of us who understand external ballistics are what they are (they don't care what they were fired from).

Aalf - Yep I forgot the 6.5x47... all of these are peas in the same pod.

Like I said - A Good barrel vs. a factory barrel makes a bigger difference than picking any one of these, as does the shooters skills, and the same can be said about good loads and brass.

Apparently only "Loonie poohbahs" already have knowledge of this, so when they see people go "ooowww" it's a creedmoor, for the most part the better side of us tend to say just keep quiet on those threads and let the "discussion" roll and play thier role. This thread is about, what's the deeper truth when it really comes down to it.

I went 260 once the Lapua Brass for the 260 came out, because I reload...If I hadn't I may have gone with the Creed because hornady has some darn good off the shelf ammo. I like the 260 having a bit more velocity, and room in the case (due to my experience with the 300WSM).

Also I'm getting a Krieger Barrel put on my 260 by an extremely good smith... so it comes down to the shooter.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 01/05/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Ladies and Gentleman:

This is what utter phuqqing boredom looks like.

Thank you,

16 Bore(d)

Indeed!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Trystan - Bench rest, hunting, & both ... doesn't matter -

There are also some of us who understand external ballistics are what they are (they don't care what they were fired from).

Aalf - Yep I forgot the 6.5x47... all of these are peas in the same pod.

Like I said - A Good barrel vs. a factory barrel makes a bigger difference than picking any one of these, as does the shooters skills, and the same can be said about good loads and brass.

Apparently only "Loonie poohbahs" already have knowledge of this, so when they see people go "ooowww" it's a creedmoor, for the most part the better side of us tend to say just keep quiet on those threads and let the "discussion" roll and play thier role. This thread is about, what's the deeper truth when it really comes down to it.

I went 260 once the Lapua Brass for the 260 came out, because I reload...If I hadn't I may have gone with the Creed because hornady has some darn good off the shelf ammo. I like the 260 having a bit more velocity, and room in the case (due to my experience with the 300WSM).

Also I'm getting a Krieger Barrel put on my 260 by an extremely good smith... so it comes down to the shooter.

Spotshooter,

Thanks for taking time to help me understand this better. I certainly have noticed what threads the real folks in the know seem to stay out of while the masses of other experts chew on it all trying to figure out what isnt so. 😉

I agree with you 100%

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Cartridges Are More Alike Than Different... the same can't be said of shooters.

Read sig line below ☺

Trystan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a spreadsheet I monkied with that compares about 80-100 loads in regards to drop/drift/velocity/energy to 500 yards, and that's pretty much the truth. Don't have a place to shoot any further or need to, so it really doesn't matter anyway. To me.

Interesting from a standpoint of numbers and statistics. Sorted by energy, the overlap in cartridges is pretty wild, as is the "gains".

For instance, a 1.0 BC at 3,000 FPS is still going to have 8" of drift at 10 MPH at 500. Considering that load doesn't exist (that I know off) a 162/7mm adds a mere 5" to that.

Somehow that's how my schit got whittled down to a 223, 7RM, and an old standby, hand me down 270.

Moral of my sorry story: Hard way to figure out that two things REALLY matter; not much and very little.

Anyway, talk about 16 Bore(d).....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
I have a spreadsheet I monkied with that compares about 80-100 loads in regards to drop/drift/velocity/energy to 500 yards, and that's pretty much the truth. Don't have a place to shoot any further or need to, so it really doesn't matter anyway. To me.

Interesting from a standpoint of numbers and statistics. Sorted by energy, the overlap in cartridges is pretty wild, as is the "gains".

For instance, a 1.0 BC at 3,000 FPS is still going to have 8" of drift at 10 MPH at 500. Considering that load doesn't exist (that I know off) a 162/7mm adds a mere 5" to that.

Somehow that's how my schit got whittled down to a 223, 7RM, and an old standby, hand me down 270.

Moral of my sorry story: Hard way to figure out that two things REALLY matter; not much and very little.

Anyway, talk about 16 Bore(d).....

16 bore (d) ☺,

As a hunter who is now pushing almost 80 years of age, 18 days to go, I am of the opinion that you have made the full circle to where one aquires true wisdom rather than percieved wisdom

Most hunters I know eventually get there. The only question is, how long will it take? By my observations for most its aquired in there late 40s to early 50s

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/05/17.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does a deer hit with a 6.5x55 realize he has been hit by a classic? Would the same deer feel cheated if it was hit by a Creedmoor?

These are deep questions that can not be answered.

Scott
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Trystan

As a hunter who is now pushing almost 80 years of age, 18 days to go, I am of the opinion that you have made the full circle to where one aquires true wisdom rather than percieved wisdom

Most hunters I know eventually get there. The only question is, how long will it take? By my observations for most its aquired in there late 40s to early 50s

Trystan

I hope I'm pushing 80 one day, reckon I'm becoming a old timer? I think you could say that wisdom and a lack of give a schit look a lot alike...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,042
Posts18,500,794
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.