Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I used the LEM #12 big bite grinder to make some deer bacon burger the other day. I did a course grind then mixed the bacon ends and deer together and used the fine grind plate with the largest sausage stuffer tube and filled the bags fine. I had no trouble stomping the meat through the grinder.

I have ordered a foot switch, a 2 inch stainless tube, and a 1,000 stuffing bags.

GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I use a 1 hp cabelas grinder, and do a course grind, mix in the fat, and then do a second course grind and bag it with the biggest sausage stuff attachment.

I recently bought a #8 Big Bite and over the weekend I ground three pork roasts for breakfast sausage. I thought I would be able to course grind, season and course grind a second time. I grabbed a handful to make some lunch and the texture was revolting, I could not finish it and I like to eat but biting down on big marbles of fat was not good at all.

I made smoked link sausage a few weeks ago, using pork roasts and course ground with the 3/8" plate followed by a finish grind with the 3/16" plate but it is work. The texture is good though.

I ordered a 1/4" plate last night and I am going to to try a 3/8" grind followed by a 1/4" finish grind to check the texture.

I use a crank style stuffer.

Dave

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger
go into amazon and search "meat stuffing tubes"...

https://www.amazon.com/size-Grinder...;sr=8-4&keywords=meat+stuffing+tubes

Under $25 with the shipping. Havent looked at ratings yet

I took humdinger's suggestion to heart and received the stuffing tube yesterday. Beautiful tube - everything is polished and smooth. Can't wait to use it! Looks just as good as the LEM aluminum tubes I looked at at Mills Fleet Farm, but stainless steel.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by selmer

I took humdinger's suggestion to heart and received the stuffing tube yesterday. Beautiful tube - everything is polished and smooth. Can't wait to use it! Looks just as good as the LEM aluminum tubes I looked at at Mills Fleet Farm, but stainless steel.

Selmer,
Now that you have it in hand.. does the SS tube feel much stouter than the Alum tube? Like it would survive a drop better and not dent?

I ask because the #8 in mills is cheaper than the amazon SS, but it may be worth it for us guys that suffer from "dropsy" once in a while.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer

Selmer,
Now that you have it in hand.. does the SS tube feel much stouter than the Alum tube? Like it would survive a drop better and not dent?

I ask because the #8 in mills is cheaper than the amazon SS, but it may be worth it for us guys that suffer from "dropsy" once in a while.

Yes. Obviously it's heavier. I think the material itself is thicker, also. It should survive a drop. Just don't try to drive nails with it. smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
why do you need to regrind when stuffing? i use a kidney shaped stuffing plate to let the meat run thru the grinder easier. also when i stuff i always add a little water to the meat.it just makes it go thru the grinder or stuffer smoother.my deer bologna recipe calls for adding water. i'd put a large drinking glass full in 10lbs of meat and mix well.i have stuffed with my #5 lem grinder many times without much trouble.hand crank stuffer makes life easier.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by srwshooter
why do you need to regrind when stuffing? i use a kidney shaped stuffing plate to let the meat run thru the grinder easier. also when i stuff i always add a little water to the meat.it just makes it go thru the grinder or stuffer smoother.my deer bologna recipe calls for adding water. i'd put a large drinking glass full in 10lbs of meat and mix well.i have stuffed with my #5 lem grinder many times without much trouble.hand crank stuffer makes life easier.

I just got into processing my own, but I think stuffing on the second grind is to avoid a "third grind" through the stuffing plate.

Or they may not have a separate stuffing plate.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I use a 1 hp cabelas grinder, and do a course grind, mix in the fat, and then do a second course grind and bag it with the biggest sausage stuff attachment.

I recently bought a #8 Big Bite and over the weekend I ground three pork roasts for breakfast sausage. I thought I would be able to course grind, season and course grind a second time. I grabbed a handful to make some lunch and the texture was revolting, I could not finish it and I like to eat but biting down on big marbles of fat was not good at all.

I made smoked link sausage a few weeks ago, using pork roasts and course ground with the 3/8" plate followed by a finish grind with the 3/16" plate but it is work. The texture is good though.

I ordered a 1/4" plate last night and I am going to to try a 3/8" grind followed by a 1/4" finish grind to check the texture.

I use a crank style stuffer.

for sausage all you need to do is grind once with a 3/16th plate. season first and keep meat as cold as you can,then grind.i use a 3/16th plate for almost everything. i do use a 3/8 when i need to mix fat with meat. i will grind the fat when half froze and then add it to the chunks of meat so it mixes better.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 1 hp grinder is a #22 grinder plate, I grind Course, mix what ever I have then simply put it through again and it comes out close to med / fine.

Sometimes I only grind course- I really don't like my food in powder form.

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
COARSE !!! crazy grin

IC B3

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I finished butchering a forequarter of beef yesterday and ground burger into bags using the big stuffing tube. I COARSE!!! ground first time around, then 3/16" ground straight into the bags. Definitely worked better than the first time I tried this game. Thanks for all of the input and the discussion!

Selmer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the Cabela's 1hp #22 grinder, usually grind with a 3/8 plate and knife from an old manual grinder, then a 2nd pass through the 1/4" while stuffing the bags. Cheesy loaned me his crank stuffer this year and there is no comparison. If I let the meat get too warm while grinding, it doesn't auger well, just mashes up into a nasty jello. I ground 70 lbs last week and the separate stuffer really made things easy. Only thing I'd change is to use a bigger stuffer, the 7 lb model had me refilling too often.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I've not had good luck using the grinder. The 8qt cast iron enterprise stuffer works well and you can still find parts for them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,164
Posts18,503,048
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.