Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
To further clarify, how much could one expect to spend before getting a truly excellent air of binos. A pair that most people would agree fall into that "excellent" category. I see lots of people say one is good, or very nice or nice for the money or best value. Im simply curious as to what price point can one expect to buy a superb set of binos that will serve them for lifetime with no regrets.

I feel like the optic world is becoming a lot like the bow industry where things are starting to peak and we're seeing more marketing than substance with "improvements" to scopes/binos.

thoughts or comments? My old Leupy Cascades have served their purpose and Im looking to add a new pair of binos with the buy once cry one mentality.....but dont want to cry a lot grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have some kahles and cabelas/meopta ( non hd). I couldn't see myself wanting anything better than those.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Optics have improved so much over the last few years I'd say execllent starts at $500-$600

After that you get into HUGE diminishing returns i.e. 15% better costs 60% more, and so on...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ingwe
Optics have improved so much over the last few years I'd say execllent starts at $500-$600

After that you get into HUGE diminishing returns i.e. 15% better costs 60% more, and so on...

Precisely want I want to avoid.

Looking at Vortex HD, Leica Trinovids both at 900.00. My reading has lead me to beleive the Trinovids are the better option.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is same thing I've been researching for the past couple of months. I'm going to say from what I gathered it lands right around $1,000. And like you, I have pretty much settled on the Vortex Razor HD 10x42 or the Leica Trinovid 10x42. I'm just hoping I can get somewhere to look through them both and compare them side by side to make my final decision.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
This is same thing I've been researching for the past couple of months. I'm going to say from what I gathered it lands right around $1,000. And like you, I have pretty much settled on the Vortex Razor HD 10x42 or the Leica Trinovid 10x42. I'm just hoping I can get somewhere to look through them both and compare them side by side to make my final decision.

Yep, was reading the thread you started a while back. Im torn as Vortex has top notch CS where as it seems Leica has been spotty. It also seems as Leica may have the better glass. Being the same price doesnt help matters. Nobody around here has both. I may just order both and return one. Even if someone had both Id want a few days to evaluate in different conditions and lighting.

Last edited by warpig602; 01/07/17.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd buy some Tioga HD's and spend the rest on ammo.

When it comes to spotters and stuff I see the difference. But when it comes to rifle scopes and 8X (or below) binos I just feel you get to diminishing returns very fugking quickly.

The $400 stuff today is the $2K from 15 years ago.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not a bad idea to just order both and use a few days and return one of them. The Vortex will have you for a few hundred bucks more. Also, I'm considering the older version of the Trinovid instead of the new ones ... if I can find them. Guys are complaining about the diopter adjustment on the newer version from what I'm gathering.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by warpig602
Im simply curious as to what price point can one expect to buy a superb set of binos that will serve them for lifetime with no regrets.

That part changes things a bit. If you want a lifetime bino then a company with a lifetime worth of continous production is a safer bet--Leupold, Swaro, Nikon..........Swaro and Nikon have always made excellent glass, sometimes Leupold does, sometimes not so much. Based on customer service Swaro or Leupold.

I've had my 7x30 and 8x30 SLCs for ~25 years, when I had them updated they were back to approaching current alpha stuff. So they have certainly been lifetime binos for me.

The other thing is so many of the asian stuff isn't really supported, those companies simply replace the binos that are under warranty--provided they have a regular warranty protocol.

Having said that, my Bushnell Custom 7x26's are 35 years old, going strong, and still very relevant for me--I use them often.

As ingwe said, we pay a lot for diminishing returns. But it's important to keep in mind we may be paying for future service of our binos from a longstanding company.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I agree Casey. Most of the stuff I buy today I end up spending more to get what is said to be the best in terms of quality as I hope to be able to pass down to one of the kids with something still usable and functional when the time comes. As pointed out before todays 5-600 optics were 2k not too long ago. Im just trying to minimize the devaluation. No sense in spending 2k today to pass down to my son in 10 years when the optics then may very well out perform for less than mine are worth. Guess its impossible to say. While Vortex has not been around for long, I see them sticking around. They are constantly improving their line and more importantly taking end user feedback into account.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Not a bad idea to just order both and use a few days and return one of them. The Vortex will have you for a few hundred bucks more. Also, I'm considering the older version of the Trinovid instead of the new ones ... if I can find them. Guys are complaining about the diopter adjustment on the newer version from what I'm gathering.

I may just do that, and a few other if Im already paying the freight. I get a discount on the Vortex so they worked out to be the same.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Leica's warranty sucks, period. BTDT.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Vortex Viper HD's, Minox HG, Conquest HD's $600-$800.

All excellent. Compare carefully before you buy the new Trinovids. The older models were excellent. To my eyes (and several hunting buds) the newer Trinovids aren't as good as above.

David

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

This...pretty much....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Dave

This...pretty much....

Why is this the case?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lifetime? I'd look at used swaros...

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I imagine advances in technology have made it possible for multiple companies to offer superior optics driving the price down as a result.

Same as we see with rifles today. You used to have pay good money to get a sub moa rifle, now its pretty much the standard that a rifle shoot that well.

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Dave

This...pretty much....

Why is this the case?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Lifetime? I'd look at used swaros...

This.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My vote is with ingwe and deflave; at $400-500 I'm satisfied.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Everyone is different . I wasn't happy with a set of $400 retail binoculars for my purpose (looking for game in low light).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.