Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Some of you might have read my post about accidently blowing up my pre 64 model 70 last December. It was a gun I had since I was 14. I accidently loaded a .308 in my .270. You can see from the pics what happened.

[Linked Image]

So the parts of the stock have been sitting around and I had the idea to repurpose what I could to upgrade my first deer rifle I received for Christmas when I was 12. I was able to salvage the forend to the model 70 and use it to replace the forend of my H&R, I took the grip cap and recoild pad, ordered a pistol grip stock from Boyds and fit them to the H&R as well. I have just finished it up and think it turned out pretty well. So now its a combination of the first rifle I ever got when I was 12 and the first rifle I ever purchased myself when I was 16. Looking forward to takin the 30-30 to the woods.
[Linked Image]

HR IC

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nice recoup, can you please share a link or retell the details?

yikes!

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
For the back story- I shot a deer along a power line stand on our lease. The deer went down immediately, as I was walking up to the deer, it raised its head and started to try to get up. I reached in my pocket put a round in and pulled the trigger. One heck if an explosion took place and I was standing there holding the buttstock of the rifle, and the barrel and forearm were sticking in the dirt in front of me. I was totally confused/shocked I didnt have any idea of what had happened. The scope was blown off and hit me in the across the bridge of my nose. I had two black eyes,a little bit of bleeding from some shrapnel hitting my face, four pieces of metal removed from my right eye and busted my left ear drum. My youngest son shoots a 308 , My oldest son had given me a .308 bullet he had found in our driveway about a week earlier. I put it in my hunting jacket not thinking anything of it. You can guess what happened from there.

The bolt stayed locked after the explosion, the round made its way down half of the barrel. The explosion was so strong that what looked like liquid brass blew past the bolt shroud into my eye. I am very lucky I wasnt killed, or permanently disfigured. As you can see from the picture the action peeled back like a banana. I consider myself a safe hunter - never climb into or out of the stand with a loaded gun, wear a safety harness, etc. Scary how things can happen so innocently

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Interesting story. Several years ago a New model 70 push feed 270 Win was brought into my shop and it was locked up. I didn't want to force the bolt handle as the chance it would rotate on the bolt body. I put it in the barrel vice and screwed the barrel off. A 308 had been fired in this rifle and the case stayed in the face of the bolt. I placed the bolt in v-blocks and tapped the case out of the bolt. Case almost looked like a belted 45-70. I had a local automotive shop Mag na Flux the barre action and bolt. Everything checked out. Screwed the rifle back together and the headspace checked. I had to replace the plunger ejector and extractor plunger and spring. Test fired with 5 factory 130 grain loads and all worked as it should.

I have read and seen several blown up Pre 64's, one was even written up by Finn Aagard in the American Rifleman. The potassium salts style of hardening left these actions very smooth but also a little brittle.

That being said I own several and use them alot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice actually!

IC B2

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice save!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can I use that upper pic in my hunter ed classes, please. Need a few wrong ammo examples.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ouch, you got lucky

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Can I use that upper pic in my hunter ed classes, please. Need a few wrong ammo examples.

Feel free-

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nice job with your project and especially thanks for the back-story. I read that to my son as a perfect reminder of why we need to always where eye protection, even when hunting!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Very beautiful and thoughtful reuse of this wood. That H&R got lucky when you picked it up! Also the humility it took to share this with the world is impressive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bt8897
For the back story- I shot a deer along a power line stand on our lease. The deer went down immediately, as I was walking up to the deer, it raised its head and started to try to get up. I reached in my pocket put a round in and pulled the trigger. One heck if an explosion took place and I was standing there holding the buttstock of the rifle, and the barrel and forearm were sticking in the dirt in front of me. I was totally confused/shocked I didnt have any idea of what had happened. The scope was blown off and hit me in the across the bridge of my nose. I had two black eyes,a little bit of bleeding from some shrapnel hitting my face, four pieces of metal removed from my right eye and busted my left ear drum. My youngest son shoots a 308 , My oldest son had given me a .308 bullet he had found in our driveway about a week earlier. I put it in my hunting jacket not thinking anything of it. You can guess what happened from there.

The bolt stayed locked after the explosion, the round made its way down half of the barrel. The explosion was so strong that what looked like liquid brass blew past the bolt shroud into my eye. I am very lucky I wasnt killed, or permanently disfigured. As you can see from the picture the action peeled back like a banana. I consider myself a safe hunter - never climb into or out of the stand with a loaded gun, wear a safety harness, etc. Scary how things can happen so innocently

Dang! Happy to hear it wasn't a worse outcome.
Nice work on the project!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Do you know who built the stock for your rifle? What is the he history of your rifle?

Just curious because I think I recognize it. It is not the original factory stock.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought the rifle at a gun show in 1987, the stock off ebay last year.The seller thought it was made by Sam Knox. I had the rifle rebarreled by brown precision about 20 years ago. I loved that gun, my primary hunting rifle sine 1987..

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by livefastjohnny
Very beautiful and thoughtful reuse of this wood. That H&R got lucky when you picked it up! Also the humility it took to share this with the world is impressive.

Thanks, I dont know if its humility or not. I can remember the looks on my boys faces (19 and 15 yrd old) when they came to help me. I hope I prevent someone else from having to have the same conversation I did with my kids. Or worse someone else trying to explain to them how their father died.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Where was the gun show? Portland? Pacific Northwest?

Last edited by RinB; 01/08/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Perhaps I am confused. Did you purchase the wood stock after purchasing the M70 in 1987? I thought I recognized the stock.

Last edited by RinB; 01/08/17.

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes I purchaed the gun in 1987, I purchased the stock a couple of years ago. The gun show was in Mississippi

B
bt8897 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yes I purchaed the gun in 1987, I purchased the stock a couple of years ago. The gun show was in Mississippi

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice job!...enjoy!.......Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 43 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,189
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.