Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by GregW
Just Google mapped it Barry, Candelaria looks like an end of road place with one way in and out? Never been in that specific country...

I was scouting for a M D lease on a ranch about twenty miles NW of Candelaria a couple years ago. The highway ends at Candelaria but a gravel/caliche road continues on up the River and comes out close to Lobo. A B P agent told me later, when we hunted out of Van Horn that the road was impassable except for 4 wheelers. It is too dangerous to maintain.

That country South of Hwy 90 belongs to the Cartels. The mules , equine and human, carry the dope out to the highway around Valentine. The mules and burros are just turned loose to roam free.

The Cartels have gotten bolder and bolder since I've hunted the Trans Pecos for twenty or so years.

Used to be a bridge there, but the Border Patrol convinced the county to take it down because (they said) only smugglers used it. Then, the BP supervisor asked the county to abandon the road because it was too long and too rough for them to patrol. The county manager said, "No way. There are ranches and families down there that need to get to town and we need to provide fire suppression and ambulance service."

The BP supervisor then told them that the county was on its own--that they would no longer tear up their vehicles on that road. So, the only law enforcement is the county sheriff whose deputies cannot stop anyone without cause nor can they legally inquire about citizenship because they are not offered training and certification to determine citizenship.

Hell of a way to have to live.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I just looked that place up, damn that's gotta be some rough country.

The closest I've been to there is Terlingua area.

It for sure is Scott....

40 miles down the river from some of the country I guide in. This schit needs to go viral....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mudhen
Just Google mapped it Barry, Candelaria looks like an end of road place with one way in and out? Never been in that specific country...

I was scouting for a M D lease on a ranch about twenty miles NW of Candelaria a couple years ago. The highway ends at Candelaria but a gravel/caliche road continues on up the River and comes out close to Lobo. A B P agent told me later, when we hunted out of Van Horn that the road was impassable except for 4 wheelers. It is too dangerous to maintain.

That country South of Hwy 90 belongs to the Cartels. The mules , equine and human, carry the dope out to the highway around Valentine. The mules and burros are just turned loose to roam free.

The Cartels have gotten bolder and bolder since I've hunted the Trans Pecos for twenty or so years.

Used to be a bridge there, but the Border Patrol convinced the county to take it down because (they said) only smugglers used it. Then, the BP supervisor asked the county to abandon the road because it was too long and too rough for them to patrol. The county manager said, "No way. There are ranches and families down there that need to get to town and we need to provide fire suppression and ambulance service."

The BP supervisor then told them that the county was on its own--that they would no longer tear up their vehicles on that road. So, the only law enforcement is the county sheriff whose deputies cannot stop anyone without cause nor can they legally inquire about citizenship because they are not offered training and certification to determine citizenship.

The Governor can't get the National Guard Engineers to improve the road as a training exercise? We do it all the time for Third World countries. Just declare some State emergency and get it done.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Who's going to protect the NG? Mostly, they aren't allowed to be armed. Which is complete BS!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

. . .People just don't realize until they have been there.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
a whole bunch of America gets it's facts from
television and magazines and the confuser.
they just don't realize how bad it is to have
border jumpers here. they live like animals.
when i hunted south of freer some years ago, they
would drop you off, and almost do a "tactical entry"
to put you in your blind. you'd have to open the
door with you and the ranch foreman or a buddy having drawn
guns in case there was a border jumper(s) asleep inside.
all the rv's were inside of a fenced in area with tall
chain link fence and topped with wire. it was locked up
at dark and everyone stayed inside. there were still
break ins when nobody was around. you couldn't leave anything
there or it'd be gone next time you came back. there
were places where there were trash piles where the border
jumpers just dropped whatever they didn't want or they
were through with on the ground like it was nothing.

no more of that for me.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OTOH I hunted a place about 10 miles north of the river, and for years we'd lock the vehicles at night or when gone from camp.

Only saw wets one time. They wanted food. We gave em some. No big deal.

OTOH we were never without firearms on us and mags.

I suspect the owner of the ranch was friends with BP and that kept a lot of the riff raff off his place, though they did have a jeep stolen once over the years.

I would not venture into that area, as Barry mentioned, or where this happened without a number of mags for the AR and the Glocks. Just makes sense.

Now we should have a shoot policy, the hell with shovel and shutup at this point.

Make it known all tresspassers will be shot on sight, no questions asked and the buzzards will clean up the mess. PUBLICIZE it and do it a bit and it'll put the traffic to a minimum in a hurry I would suspect.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sounds like a "no closed season" needs to be implemented.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That story should be all over the press.

The best and indeed the only description I have found of the Mexican side of the Border along that stretch comes from the book Tecate Journals by an English professor at Laredo Community College...

https://www.amazon.com/Tecate-Journals-Seventy-Days-Grande/dp/1594850771

Lest one thinks he's soft on the Border, he starts the book with a description of what happens to two of his American students from Laredo who became involved with the drug trade. One, a guy, was methodically cut into many small pieces while still alive, dying during the process. The other, a girl, became engaged to a wealthy narco in Nuevo Laredo. When they were picked up by a rival cartel over there she was raped repeatedly in front of him over a three day period, one of her fingers being cut off each time. When all ten fingers were gone they killed her, tied her corpse to him as if they were having sex, and buried him alive.

In the book he kayaks the length of the Rio Grande from El Paso to the Gulf. IIRC he did this before 2007, but the book is still relevant.

I'm recalling from the Candelaria stretch of the river he visited and stayed at a number of isolated ranch houses on the Mexican side, I'm recalling one of his hosts saying every honest man in that area had either gone north or been shot.

A stretch of real estate on the American side that we need to take back for sure.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mudhen

That sounds like a lot of the old western movies.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When some Wets stole some of our gear from our ranch house/hunting camp one night while we were sleeping, we reported it to the B P and Sherrifs office. This was four or five years ago in Brewster County about eight miles from the River.

A Deputy lived on an adjoining ranch and came over to visit most every day. He told us this in response to our questions about what we should do if it happened again; for

"You are not allowed to detain them.If you do, and call the BP, you will be arrested for kidnapping and the Wets get a ride home. Don't detain them and call me since I'm required to call the BP and the end result will be the same."

"You are allowed to defend your life, and it has been accepted that a rock is a deadly weapon. There are plenty of rocks around here.If you kill one, I can clean up the mess, but do not arrest one. If they agree to wait for me or the BP, and lots of times they will if they are looking for a ride home, then that's OK, but do not detain them against their will."

The Landowners down there operate under the same legal restrictions. They can arrest a US citizen for trespassing, but not an illegal alien.

As I posted earlier, there has been a steady escalation of violence North of the River for decades. Contrary to other opinions, there is no easy solution to this problem, but it is clear that the folks who live there are helpless to stop it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Simple fix here, the Government puts troops in the border states and any foreign nationals trespassing illegally get arrested, any carrying weapons whilst engaged in illegal trespass get shot and killed.
That goes for male, female, children.

There is a border, and it needs to be enforceable.

You know, sometimes I think I could be a great boon to the world as the poor mans emancipator, mainly by virtue of the empathy I feel for my fellow man and in part because I am obviously in touch with my feminine side (I can be a cunt at times).

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When some Wets stole some of our gear from our ranch house/hunting camp one night while we were sleeping, we reported it to the B P and Sherrifs office. This was four or five years ago in Brewster County about eight miles from the River.

A Deputy lived on an adjoining ranch and came over to visit most every day. He told us this in response to our questions about what we should do if it happened again; for

"You are not allowed to detain them.If you do, and call the BP, you will be arrested for kidnapping and the Wets get a ride home. Don't detain them and call me since I'm required to call the BP and the end result will be the same."

"You are allowed to defend your life, and it has been accepted that a rock is a deadly weapon. There are plenty of rocks around here.If you kill one, I can clean up the mess, but do not arrest one. If they agree to wait for me or the BP, and lots of times they will if they are looking for a ride home, then that's OK, but do not detain them against their will."

The Landowners down there operate under the same legal restrictions. They can arrest a US citizen for trespassing, but not an illegal alien.

As I posted earlier, there has been a steady escalation of violence North of the River for decades. Contrary to other opinions, there is no easy solution to this problem, but it is clear that the folks who live there are helpless to stop it.

The key to doing that is how you word it...

"Hello, Border Patrol? Yes, I was out on my ranch this morning and some poor wetbacks were out of water, and flagged me down to give them a ride. They wanted me to call you and relay that they'd had enough, and wish to turn themselves in." grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you live within 50 miles of the BORDER, Welcome to Northern Mexico. Rio7

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
This^^^, thanks to people like ginthere and their friends in high places.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
This^^^, thanks to people like ginthere and their friends in high places.

Nah.

It's been that way since we sent them packing back across the river with Santa Anna. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A necessary first step in dealing with the violence, at least in the Trans Pecos is to implement a Guest Worker Program so that Juan and Maria, who cross just to make a better life for their families, can cross by legal means.

Once the traffic is reduced to primarily just the drug smugglers, the harsh measures advocated for by many of you can be implemented.

The "Northern Experts", who fear they will lose their jobs to a Mexican who is illiterate even in his own language, are the chief obstacle to this first step.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A necessary first step in dealing with the violence, at least in the Trans Pecos is to implement a Guest Worker Program so that Juan and Maria, who cross just to make a better life for their families, can cross by legal means.

Once the traffic is reduced to primarily just the drug smugglers, the harsh measures advocated for by many of you can be implemented.

The "Northern Experts", who fear they will lose their jobs to a Mexican who is illiterate even in his own language, are the chief obstacle to this first step.

True, and if you supply free insurance, housing and a new car he may even be appreciative.

So you want it left as it is then?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
True, and if you supply free insurance, housing and a new car he may even be appreciative.

Like the blacks are? whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I never travel in that country, whether it's our ranch or elsewhere without at least one AR15 and at least 500 rounds of ammo.

No Country for Old Men.

People just don't realize until they have been there.

ain't that the truth.
it was a topic of discussion this weekend at the house, connected to the threads on the handgun forum about revolvers vs. hi cap pistols.
I keep using the same expression, no country for old men.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many of the drug mules are Cartel victims themselves. Their families in Mexico are hostages, held under fear of death.

They can carry a load of drugs fifty or so miles and be paid 300 bucks at the handoff, or be killed.

"The Silver or the lead"....... that tactic is the cornerstone of the Cartels' success and is applied across the full spectrum and on both sides of the River.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 49 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,053
Posts18,521,302
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.