Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Where do you draw "YOUR" lines? Everyone is different concerning "RECOIL" so what one person chooses to use may not be what would work best for another "INDIVIDUAL".

Likewise, there are a lots of variables for each hunter to take into consideration and circumstances can and do change "sometimes" drastically depending on different styles of hunting,location,distances,or age. Older hunters sometimes have to take it a bit easier on the shoulders ☺ I dont take Texas heart shots.

My loads have always consisted of versatility and I use one load for Elk, bear, deer, as those criitters are what I generally hunt. Occasionally another big game critter gets thrown into the mix if I get a draw tag. Never have been lucky enouph to draw a moose tag "yet" 😀

In the Recoil department my personal motto for years now has been....." Recoils a little, kills a lot". This is exactly the reason I chose the 270 winchester as my main big game hunting rifle when the older years started to creep up on me. So far it has worked pretty well with 130 gr bullets. Next year however I intend to load a 150 partition with the "NEW" reloader 26 that is being raved about to somewhere between 3000 and 3100 depending on where accuracy is the best. For me personally "Recoil" will be at the upper threshold with this load meaning I likely will not be practicing as much. I have other Identical Tikka T3's in 223 and 6.5 swede and will be shot a bunch this year so should work well as "Understudy Rifles" IMO.

When considering shot placement I most often am a heart and lungs shooter. If some distance is involved I change shot placement to shoulders and lungs.
"Not the rear shoulders" 😀

This year I consider my biggest project to be that of comparing years of results with the 270 130 grain accubond with my new 6.5 swede and a 130 accubond. 270 has more velocity, 6.5 swede has better SD and BC.

Keeping it "interesting" and "fun" 😀

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 01/09/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Recoil is subjective and variable.

Your 270/150 combo can be perfectly comfortable in one rifle and a complete SOB in another. Stock geometry, stock construction, and overall rifle weight are key. Charge weight also enters in to it.

I was at our "ranch" yesterday shooting. Mainly I concentrated on 150 Partitions from my Kimber 270 84L MT. It weighs 6lbs 1.7 oz's scoped. I can tell you the RL17 52.0 gr load at 2,910 vs. the RL26 59.0 load at 3,030 feel VERY different. I could give a crap about 120 fps more.

I'm closer to 60 than 50, and I've definitely changed in what I "want" to tolerate recoil-wise. I say "want" because I can still shoot any rifle out there that I shot in my 20's, I just don't want to! I've learned killing is more about shot placement and bullet quality that sheer horsepower.

Moving forward, I'm gravitating to lighter recoiling rifles. The only "magnum" I own is a 300 WSM. Its 180 at 3,030 is as much as I care to deal with.

IMO, the finest all-around BG round, with light recoil, suitable for all that my homestate (MT) has to offer is the 7-08.

The 308 is a close second.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am much like Brad, and agree with most everything he just said, except my experience was mostly 35 years of a 7RemMag.

I am loving the 7-08 for the reasons he stated. We have killed 4 mule deer bucks so far with it and 140 Accubonds.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've used the 270 for 40+ years mixed in with other similar cartridges(280,7x57,7/08 etc etc) and 7mm, 300,and 338 magnums of various types.....kind of a hodgepodge but bet I have killed as much game with 7mm and 300 magnums as the 270.

The 338's disappeared once I saw what a 375 would do,and that the 338 doesn't kill enough differently from a 300 magnum to justify owning both...... smile at least that I could notice.

Then the 300's went south because i didn't need them either, good as they were , They are more potent rounds no question but romped more than 7mm magnums and stuff hit with the 7mm's and good bullets die fast as anything.

That leaves the 270 and the 7mm's. I am not enchanted with the little 7mm's and the 280 is my bottom end after having tried them all. Nothing under 270 interests me and neither do the short action cartridges, despite their other virtues.

The 270 and the 7mm Mashburn Super and the 7 Rem Mag are ice cream to manage even at my advanced age...... wink

I flopped field prone at 300 yards the other day, no rear rest, to check the Mashburn and fired these so went home. I would say that's my upper limit.....except a 375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/09/17.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trystan,

I use electronic hearing protection when I hunt for two reasons. One is my hearing is not so good and the second is I don't want to damage my hears with my hobby which requires me to use brakes on everything except my .22s.

My .375-.416 Rem also has a 1/2" travel shock attached to the kick pad. I hold all my guns like a BB gun and can fire even this one thirty of forty times in one session with nary a bruise.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How much rifle weight you're willing to carry becomes a factor. I'm comfortable shooting anything with 15-20 ft lbs of recoil. My Kimber 308 has almost exactly the same recoil as my 1.5 lb heavier Winchester 30-06. Both are in the 18-20 ft lb of recoil range depending on the load.

I've fooled with 7mm magnum a bit over the years. I think it is a very capable round and I can't really tell the difference in recoil between it and 30-06. I don't see enough difference in performance to choose one over 30-06 either.

I can tolerate up to about 30 ft lbs which is typical of 300 magnums. But while I can tolerate it, I don't enjoy it like I do something in the sub 20 ft lb range. I own a 300 WSM. I like the rifle and the round, but may never hunt with it again.

I've never tried 7-08 or 270, but have no doubts they will do basically everything my 308 and 30-06 will do. The 6.5 Creedmoor is tempting me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
C
trystan and brad hit the proverbial nail on the head, bullet construction and its accurate placement thereof has more effect on killing game than what cartridge case propelled it! W.D.M Bell proved that beyond a shadow doubt! now figure in the evolution of the modern sporting rifle with limbsaver pads and straighter buttstocks, as compared to the rifles of yesteryear with 4" of drop at the heel and metal butt plates makes my shoulder ache just looking at them. here in n.w Pa I killed most of my deer with a .30-06 and a .338 win mag. I know you don't need that kind of power, but if you don't drop the deer quickly the hunter 100 yards down the trail will! at age 55 I would rather carry a 6lb. .308 win. than a 9lb. .338 win. over hill and dale.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 16+ pound .223AI and I have a sub 8# field ready .375 RUM. different tools...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Short of my lightweight SS M70 375 H&H I used in Alaska last year and will next year, my Kimber 270 Win with 140 gr TSX's will do the rest. This from a career 338-06, 35 Whelen and 9.3x62 hunter. That said, a 416 Rem M70 will accompany me to Zimbabwe later this year. I enjoy the joy of the toy...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm about like Ringman.My shoulder can't tolerate recoil. Two or three years ago,I got a lot of crap on here because I put a break on my Model 770 FWT .06.

Since then I have killed two bull elk with it One at about 80 yards,one at 347 lasered yards.So I can still put them where they need to go

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I've killed about 2 dozen elk with various 270's and 150 NPt's leaving with a MV of 2850-2900 fps. My current elk getter weighs 7lbs 2oz with scope covers, sling and 4 rnds down.

As Brad mentions, a stock that fits or works for the shooter makes the biggest difference, along with a good recoil pad (I use a flip flop pad). A lightweight skinny bbl rifle does have more muzzle jump and requires a good grip on the forearm. Few years ago that rifle rapped my on the cheek shooting at an elk from prone, reminding me to keep ahold of that forearm.......

I have a 30-06AI that weighs in 6lbs 14ozs all up, and with a 200gr NPt it lets you know it's there and ain't as much fun to shoot.

Having both IMR7977 and RL26 now on hand, I'm wondering what the recoil of that 270 cal Partition is going to feel like with an extra 200 fps.

But......owning a 243 that has accounted for 14 elk, a handful of deer and pronghorns, I've pretty much decided my next Mtn rifle is going to be a 243. The 243 is just plain a hoot to shoot! Just can't decide if the AI version will feed well enough to please me.

Oh, and I just turned 60 last week...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well Happy Birthday Casey!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by toad
I have a 16+ pound .223AI and I have a sub 8# field ready .375 RUM. different tools...

I have a 16 lb. .260 and a 7 lb 300 win mag, for different uses. The .260 is fun to shoot. the .300 got a brake on it now and is comfortable to shot with ear plugs and muffs........

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks Brad!

And then I went out and promptly tweaked the MCLs in BOTH knees while skiing.

It's hell getting old(er).............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got a couple of rifles in the safe that I don't care to shoot much. One is my primitive season weapon. It's a T/C Encore in 35 Whelen and at 7.5 lbs ready to hunt it lets you know it with a full house 225gr load. The other is a Ruger boat paddle stocked 7Mag. That one is definitely the stock, not the cartridge.

I've owned a couple of 300 Win Mags in sporter weight rifles and that is more recoil than I want. I wouldn't mind one in a Sendero style rifle, but I wouldn't want to tote it around very much.

The one big cartridge I've always wanted to try is a 375 H&H. I have absolutely no need for one, but it's nice to dream about hunting dangerous game in either Africa or Alaska. It's just a cool old cartridge and my dream rifle would be a Pre 64 Model 70 so chambered.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Trystan
Where do you draw "YOUR" lines? Everyone is different concerning "RECOIL" so what one person chooses to use may not be what would work best for another "INDIVIDUAL".

Likewise, there are a lots of variables for each hunter to take into consideration and circumstances can and do change "sometimes" drastically depending on different styles of hunting,location,distances,or age. Older hunters sometimes have to take it a bit easier on the shoulders ☺ I dont take Texas heart shots.

My loads have always consisted of versatility and I use one load for Elk, bear, deer, as those criitters are what I generally hunt. Occasionally another big game critter gets thrown into the mix if I get a draw tag. Never have been lucky enouph to draw a moose tag "yet" 😀

In the Recoil department my personal motto for years now has been....." Recoils a little, kills a lot". This is exactly the reason I chose the 270 winchester as my main big game hunting rifle when the older years started to creep up on me. So far it has worked pretty well with 130 gr bullets. Next year however I intend to load a 150 partition with the "NEW" reloader 26 that is being raved about to somewhere between 3000 and 3100 depending on where accuracy is the best. For me personally "Recoil" will be at the upper threshold with this load meaning I likely will not be practicing as much. I have other Identical Tikka T3's in 223 and 6.5 swede and will be shot a bunch this year so should work well as "Understudy Rifles" IMO.

When considering shot placement I most often am a heart and lungs shooter. If some distance is involved I change shot placement to shoulders and lungs.
"Not the rear shoulders" 😀

This year I consider my biggest project to be that of comparing years of results with the 270 130 grain accubond with my new 6.5 swede and a 130 accubond. 270 has more velocity, 6.5 swede has better SD and BC.

Keeping it "interesting" and "fun" 😀

Trystan
.............Amount of recoil is all subjective to individual tolerance levels and personal (enjoyment) preferences.

"Recoils a little and kills alot" is a motto that certainly cannot be argued with. A great personal motto.

You have had great success over the years with your 270 using 130 gr bullets. Next year you are going to try RL26 using a heavier 150 gr bullet with an even higher velocity from your 270. If you can handle it after trying it out, then go for it on your next hunting trip.

Given the technology advancements in today's modern powders, most if not all of us, try to push the limits of our chosen cartridges to see how much better they can perform.

Since my personal tolerance for recoil is higher than most, I happen to prefer and enjoy the more powerful, flatter shooting and higher retained (downrange) energy rounds. And should my tolerance for recoil ever become less in the future or become less enjoyable, I can always load down any of the three cartridges below to reduce recoil.

However, I do enjoy cheating the true recoil of a 338-378 Accumark Bee with a muzzle brake. grin

Most who own the non-magnum rounds try and push the velocity envelope. You will be doing that next year with your 270. I prefer pushing the envelope of the more powerful rounds and then loading down if needed or desired.

Either a 6.5/300 Wby or a 26 Nosler will be added this year. Don't know yet which one will be the final choice. Leaning towards the 26 Nosler.

Ballistically, those two are #1 and #2 in the 6.5mm world.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
As has been said here many times "bullets matter more than head stamps". I believe that to be true considering reason and distance. I doubt Bob's 7 mm Mashburn is his woods gun, as .270 win fits that hunt better, but within reason on deer sized animals a 257 Roberts with 100 grain TTSX bullets kills the same as a .270 win. So I sold my 270. I don't pay attention to recoil that much but prefer lighter rifles and short actions. I have never short stroked a 30-06 length action that I can recall however I just am more familiar with the 308 length actions. Having killed a few animals with a 223 including a big pig and a 10 pt buck, the 308 is more than enough for anything I will ever run into. In the end I see no need for anything bigger than a 30-06, those that feel like they require a 338 win for deer or pigs are just ignorant/poor shots or are doing it for the hell of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm about like Ringman.My shoulder can't tolerate recoil. Two or three years ago,I got a lot of crap on here because I put a break on my Model 770 FWT .06.

Since then I have killed two bull elk with it One at about 80 yards,one at 347 lasered yards.So I can still put them where they need to go

My long time hunting buddy can't fire more than 4-5 shots with his 7mm RM because of his shoulder. A brake might be a good solution for him. I have one on my Ruger Scout .308 and he really likes it - said there was "no recoil" although that's an overstatement.

If people were giving you grief they were clueless.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I reducing to a 3-rifle battery from what I have in the safe, and not worried about using factory ammo, it would look something like this:

.338 WM, fluted 22" boat paddle Ruger MKII
7mm RM, Ruger M77
.257 Roberts, Ruger M77

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If it hurts at the bench you'll learn to flinch. Easy fix is a PAST recoil shield that slips over your shoulder. If it hurts in the field is another problem. I used a recoil shield at the bench for my rifles that are uncomfortable to shoot.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.