Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice. Congrats on your purchase.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a little smooth-bore, brass 31 deringer that I bored out to accept 00 buck. With a heaping 22 LR case of Triple Seven it will just bury a buckshot in the bark of an elm tree out back. Mike Cumpston wrote of the pocket 31's 'In the realm of personal combat it is a frail reed indeed'.

Hard to imagine today that the little S&W Model One, in 22 short, was in such demand at the outbreak of the civil war that it outstripped the factory's production capabilities.

Any old port in a storm, I reckon wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've got a little smooth-bore, brass 31 deringer that I bored out to accept 00 buck. With a heaping 22 LR case of Triple Seven it will just bury a buckshot in the bark of an elm tree out back. Mike Cumpston wrote of the pocket 31's 'In the realm of personal combat it is a frail reed indeed'.

Hard to imagine today that the little S&W Model One, in 22 short, was in such demand at the outbreak of the civil war that it outstripped the factory's production capabilities.

Any old port in a storm, I reckon wink

"Back in the day", as many or more people died from infections as they did from actual lead poisonings. Those little balls would cause as much infection as any bigbore. The clothing dragged into wounds (probably filthy clothing, at that) were bound to cause some kind of infections.
It's poor policy to get shot with anything, of course, but those little guns could cause a long lingering death as well as anything else.
That doesn't fit well with the "one-shot stop" thing we think of today, but you're still dead, whether you take the opponent with you, or not.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is interesting how things have changed. Wild Bill Hickok used a 1851 Colt Navy .36 black powder gun that had about the same ballistics as the modern .380 cartridge. Wild Bill had a reputation as a deadly pistolero so I'm guessing most of the guys he shot had a hard time shaking off those lead round balls. Wonder when felons got so tough that .38's and 9mm's bounce off them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
It is interesting how things have changed. Wild Bill Hickok used a 1851 Colt Navy .36 black powder gun that had about the same ballistics as the modern .380 cartridge. Wild Bill had a reputation as a deadly pistolero so I'm guessing most of the guys he shot had a hard time shaking off those lead round balls. Wonder when felons got so tough that .38's and 9mm's bounce off them.
I wonder that too. Perhaps the lack of stopping power in those rounds is exaggerated.

PS Until fairly recently, most of the Western world considered the .32 S&W, S&W Long, and ACP to be appropriate police rounds. US police forces, for the most part, abandoned such weakling rounds by the 1940s, but they continued on in European police forces for many years after WWII.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
What makes the difference is a truly determined attacker, either drunk or high on drugs. That's when modern bullet design in accepted serious chamberings (or old-style big-bore lead rounds) comes into play, actually shutting a person down due to rapid blood loss. Likely most people will collapse upon being shot in the chest with a .22 Long Rifle if not highly determined and/or intoxicated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The effectiveness of plain old lead RN and SWC ammo is underrated. When I first shoved my nose under the LE tent it was not uncommon to see guys still carrying 38/158/RN. I clearly recall two shootings each with those and 38 wadcutters wherein the shootee was on the ground instantly or within five seconds tops.

I'm all for progress but the old stuff worked better than most people can or want to remember.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking there were some pretty tough hombres back in the wooly old times. Whiskey flowed pretty cheap and that was just the white guys. From what I've read Indians were pretty motivated when they wanted to be and were probably as tough as old boot leather.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If the Feds don't consider it a gun is it legal to carry into a bar and get wasted in states that prohibit such with a firearm.

That's all I want to know.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 11/06/16.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
The effectiveness of plain old lead RN and SWC ammo is underrated. When I first shoved my nose under the LE tent it was not uncommon to see guys still carrying 38/158/RN. I clearly recall two shootings each with those and 38 wadcutters wherein the shootee was on the ground instantly or within five seconds tops.

I'm all for progress but the old stuff worked better than most people can or want to remember.
That's about how I figured it, too.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
If the Feds don't consider it a gun is it legal to carry into a bar and get wasted in states that prohibit such with a firearm.

Most states' laws classify them as handguns once loaded up, so handgun laws would then apply to them. Some states even consider them handguns if the owner also owns the materials to make them shoot, even if not loaded up. New York, for example, says they aren't firearms, but they become handguns once the owner also owns the materials to make them fire. At that point, New York requires that they be registered to a licensed gun owner. If you don't own the materials to make them shoot, New York considers them mere collectables, like antique or reproduction swords. Odd inconsistency.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
It arrived today. Amazingly tiny. Someone here compared it to a Ruger Beatcat. It's actually a good bit smaller than a Bearcat.

Here it is next to my Glock 17.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Its kinda cute. smile Be fun to shoot a lion with.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Most states' laws classify them as handguns once loaded up, so handgun laws would then apply to them. Some states even consider them handguns if the owner also owns the materials to make them shoot, even if not loaded up. New York, for example, says they aren't firearms, but they become handguns once the owner also owns the materials to make them fire. At that point, New York requires that they be registered to a licensed gun owner. If you don't own the materials to make them shoot, New York considers them mere collectables, like antique or reproduction swords. Odd inconsistency.
I'm pretty sure every state, and the feds classify it as a firearm, but not a regulated firearm. So carrying it, all the same rules apply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I'm pretty sure every state, and the feds classify it as a firearm, but not a regulated firearm. So carrying it, all the same rules apply.

Don't go messing him up with facts...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The Feds categorize them as "antique firearms," not as "firearms." Those two terms have specific legal differences as far as the Federal Government is concerned, the latter being federally regulated, the former not being federally regulated. According to them, in other words, an "antique firearm" is not a "firearm."

That's my understanding on the matter, at any rate.

States are all over the place on their classification.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
TRUMP!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TRUMP!
Word.

mec Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There was a retired DPS Trooper in Palestine Tx who said pretty much the same thing about the 38 RNL. He shot one guy in his career- used that load and killed the guy drt. In his retirement, he carried nothing but a baby browning and was doubly careful not to shoot anybody.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,995
Posts18,499,956
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.