Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
What's the latest consensus on m77 mkII Rugers with the boat paddle stocks? I never really wanted one back when you could buy them new for $300 but over the years they have grown on me. Just seems like a tough utilitarian tool. A friend of mine has ran one in 7 mag for years and has put it through things no rifle should go through. He even rolled a horse over one and then shot an elk with it later that day.

I found one in a local shop in 7 mag yesterday for a little over $500 but it had a buck masters Nikon on it too. I put it on layaway but I'm second guessing it a bit. I have a mkII laminate in 7 wsm so I don't need it but I was sucked in by the boat paddle. It should make a good beater no?

Bb

HR IC

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have one in .30/06 and it is the last rifle I would ever get rid of. It is as tough as woodpecker lips, reliable and accurate. It has been a good luck rifle for me, too.

I would take that rifle anywhere to hunt anything.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't second guess yourself.

The boat paddles are very utilitarian. They are light, impervious to wet conditions and nearly indestructible. Get a scratch or dent? Who cares?

Mine are 7mm RM, .30-06 and .300WM. I keep looking for take-off stocks in good condition.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
What's the latest consensus on m77 mkII Rugers with the boat paddle stocks? I never really wanted one back when you could buy them new for $300 but over the years they have grown on me. Just seems like a tough utilitarian tool. A friend of mine has ran one in 7 mag for years and has put it through things no rifle should go through. He even rolled a horse over one and then shot an elk with it later that day.

I found one in a local shop in 7 mag yesterday for a little over $500 but it had a buck masters Nikon on it too. I put it on layaway but I'm second guessing it a bit. I have a mkII laminate in 7 wsm so I don't need it but I was sucked in by the boat paddle. It should make a good beater no?

Bb

They are great rifles. There's a reason the prices have skyrocketed. It would be unwise not to buy it at that price. Keeping in mind if you don't like the scope, you can sell it and recoup some of the costs. Win win... No guess work about that one.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The boat paddles are very utilitarian. They are light, impervious to wet conditions and nearly indestructible. Get a scratch or dent? Who cares?

Mine are 7mm RM, .30-06 and .300WM. I keep looking for take-off stocks in good condition.

What did you do with your 338wm?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got one in 22-250 that is one of the or the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

What did you do with your 338wm?

On a conference call and wrote that while trying to pay attention. Fail.

.30-06
.300WM
.338WM

No 7mm RM in a boat paddle. Yet.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They get the job done as hunting rifles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's a win-win.

Shoot it, if it's doing what you want with your loads, it's a solid rifle that will survive years of use and abuse.

If it's not shooting for you, selling it for $550 and up shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you have recouped some from the scope resale. Still ahead.

JMHO, the worst thing about the rifle is the "band" sling points, and that's getting down in the weeds to find something to gripe about.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I think they were on to something. My long action boat paddle stock weighs 29 ozs. My short action Kimber WSM stock weighed 28.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My .308 would be the last rifle that I would sell if forced to.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm down to a couple of boat paddle stocks in 30-06, I like them, would like to have a 338WM as well, I especially like the M77 Mk II models with the bright stainless. It's tough as the stocks are. I keep a couple of extra stocks, "Just in case". Can't have too many. They are seriously tough rifles. Don't over think this. I'm not a big fan of the 7mm RM but if you are sounds like a heck of a deal with a descent scope.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bought one 300 new in 98. Very tough and very accurate. It would be hard for me to ever let it go. Don't second guess, it's a great rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought one today in a 30-06. Personally I like the looks of them and they are tough rifles. I have a friend who swears by them and has almost every cartridge they came out in.

Rob
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wish I could find a short action boat paddle stock for the 77 MII in 7 wsm I picked up a few months ago. I like the shorter barrel, action and bit lighter weight of the 7 wsm. The 7 Rem mag will be a great go anywhere rifle because ammo for it is much easier to find in a pinch.

Bb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I remember a lot of the complaints against the "boat paddle" back when;
No sling swivel studs so it was tough to remove a sling for silent carry, no way to attach bipod, etc.
Felt recoil was worse than other designs: sharp edge slamming your cheekbone, smaller, harder surface area of butt pad.
Discoloration from exposure to sun, chemicals, etc.
Couldn't cut down stock.
Seemed like it was voted as the ugliest stock EVER on a number of gun forums smile
I distinctly remember talking with a friend who had much experience with many rifles and he adamantly insisted his BP Ruger in .338 WM was the most uncomfortable rifle he ever shot.

That being said I have one in .308 that has been to Africa with me twice (even tho I could have taken nicer rifles)and is the last rifle I would ever part with. Wish I had kept the one's I had in .260 and .223. And recently grabbed a SS LW model in .243 which will likely stay around a very long time!

Like a couple of guys have already mentioned, they be stiff and light. Who cares what they look like smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is a 77 boat paddle in 300WM for sale in my area, but it isnt cheap $799

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have an UL, in .30-06, that I won't part with. It is a great all around hunting rifle, and gets hunted quite a bit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love blued steel and fine figured walnut, but keep one of the ugly Ruger 30-06 rifles as my truck and boat rifle, and used it on a tough conditions NW BC coast fly in & back back trip with perfect satisfaction.
It wears a Zeiss conquest 3-9, with flip up scope covers and a nylon sling.I added an original Ruger front sight to the plain barrel, and bought a NECG peep sight for back up. Installed a slip on neoprene cartridge holder on the butt, and slipped the peep sight in behind it in a little zippered nylon pouch like a small kids pencil case. The case also holds a metal match, some snare wire, and a flat sided folding knife. The case fits perfectly along the hollowed out buttstock and adds a "cheekpiece". Replaced the grooved hockey puck butt pad with a real recoil pad made by Limbsaver.
Ugly as sin, but perfectly functional and versatile.

Last edited by castnblast; 01/13/17. Reason: fixed a bad sentence
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkjaeger
I remember a lot of the complaints against the "boat paddle" back when;
No sling swivel studs so it was tough to remove a sling for silent carry, no way to attach bipod, etc.
Felt recoil was worse than other designs: sharp edge slamming your cheekbone, smaller, harder surface area of butt pad.
Discoloration from exposure to sun, chemicals, etc.
Couldn't cut down stock.
Seemed like it was voted as the ugliest stock EVER on a number of gun forums smile
I distinctly remember talking with a friend who had much experience with many rifles and he adamantly insisted his BP Ruger in .338 WM was the most uncomfortable rifle he ever shot.

That being said I have one in .308 that has been to Africa with me twice (even tho I could have taken nicer rifles)and is the last rifle I would ever part with. Wish I had kept the one's I had in .260 and .223. And recently grabbed a SS LW model in .243 which will likely stay around a very long time!

Like a couple of guys have already mentioned, they be stiff and light. Who cares what they look like smile

My only gripe is the recoil pad (or lack thereof). Change it out with a limbsaver and you are golden...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 219DW, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,799
Posts18,496,275
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.