Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I went to my club meeting tonight. I was the first one there. I pulled up by the pond and after I got out of the truck I saw two coyotes across the pond, about 60 yards away. I have my Glock 26, too far for that, especially it being dusk.

But don't think I didn't think about it!

They watched me, and me them for 5 minutes. Yeah, that's a challenge.

When I got home I tossed 5 snares in my truck. Death to them. I'll make those sets in the morning. Maybe I'll toss in a few Duke #3's and make some dirt hole sets around the base of our hill and by the creek.

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/15/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dirt hole sets, people get all weird about bait in a dirt hole set. Do you know what I use? Canned dog food, the chunky kind. I put some in the hole and put a little juice around the top. Always worked for me, stinks bad right out of the can.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I went to my club meeting tonight. I was the first one there. I pulled up by the pond and after I got out of the truck I saw two coyotes across the pond, about 60 yards away. I have my Glock 26, too far for that, especially it being dusk.

When I got home I tossed 5 snares in my truck. Death to them. I'll make those sets in the morning. Maybe I'll toss in a few Duke #3's and make some dirt hole sets around the base of our hill and by the creek.

Believe in yourself. Hickok 45 could of done it. Lol

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking

Believe in yourself. Hickok 45 could of done it. Lol

Don't need to educate them.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
sheesh, you had a hi-cap..... Toss up a 'curtain of lead' that they can't escape.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
sheesh, you had a hi-cap..... Toss up a 'curtain of lead' that they can't escape.

The try ain't worth the $12 in ammo that would cost.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Yeah, I would have sprayed lead.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Western Heavy Coyote

Western Heavy Coyote -- Good Color
Note: Early, sewn, small sizes, poor color & improperly handled skins will be discounted.
QUALITY DRY GREEN CARCASS
SELECT $100 $90 $80
SLIGHT DAMAGE $70 $60 $50
DAMAGE $40 $30 $20
BAD DAMAGE $15 $10 $5

might have been worth the $12 bucks

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
$12 worth of fun just trying.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any autos I buy in the future will be optics-ready, for just such occasions. A little red dot takes sight alignment and old man eyes out of the equation. Hold, squeeze, fur.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/15/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dirt hole sets, people get all weird about bait in a dirt hole set. Do you know what I use? Canned dog food, the chunky kind. I put some in the hole and put a little juice around the top. Always worked for me, stinks bad right out of the can.

In La. we can use anything for bait. Dog food is really good and so is a gut pile for coyotes.
A fresh deer hide is great for cats and so is fish heads/guts, but you gotta keep them fresh. After a couple of days neither is much good, unless you want to catch possums.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I think you need to shoot the 26 some more. Right ammo and learn the gun and hold, 50 yards isn't tough with a handgun. But you'd have only gotten one.

I"ve shot bullseye matches where almost all my rounds were in a 6 inch or less group at 50 single handed.... with a rest you could cut that group size down.

Regardless the snares and traps will likely work.

What do they eat out there?

I don't shoot em much here, they really don't do anything to our local deer, though lately there are a few to many and I"m going to try to take out 2-3 out of the local group to thin it just a bit. But normally I won't shoot em unless there is a reason. Hanging out around the house is a reason. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
rost495 Your coyotes don't eat the fawns in the spring?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Best way to see a good buck, no cartridges in your rifle

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nothing, i always have a rifle, can't always shoot it in differing locales of course ;]

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Nothing, i always have a rifle, can't always shoot it in differing locales of course ;]

This.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
rost495, Do you have any rabbits, hangin around?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Western Heavy Coyote

Western Heavy Coyote -- Good Color
Note: Early, sewn, small sizes, poor color & improperly handled skins will be discounted.
QUALITY DRY GREEN CARCASS
SELECT $100 $90 $80
SLIGHT DAMAGE $70 $60 $50
DAMAGE $40 $30 $20
BAD DAMAGE $15 $10 $5

might have been worth the $12 bucks

Ohio coyote ain't worth carrying out of the woods. Maybe 12 bucks skinned if it is excellent, less green.

I went and made the sets. Walking around the hill about half way up I saw a tree down. The tree is about 12" in diameter and is held off the ground by its root. Looks like a dead ash.

Under the tree I saw where something has been digging a hole, like opening a woodchuck hole up. Very fresh dirt. South facing hill side, got a feeling I found a den. I thought it a bit early for that.

There were two approaches under that tree. I set two Duke #3's in them. I went 30-35 yards away at the edge of the grass and found three trails not likely used by deer. I only had two snares left so I set two of them.

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/16/17.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03

In La. we can use anything for bait. Dog food is really good and so is a gut pile for coyotes.
A fresh deer hide is great for cats and so is fish heads/guts, but you gotta keep them fresh. After a couple of days neither is much good, unless you want to catch possums.

And skunks. Don't forget them... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,991
Posts18,520,194
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.