Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't know anything about sewer lids but how do you get the lid off without a manhole hook? My only experience is with telephone manholes and most of the lids weigh around 350lbs. You use the manhole hook to pick up side of the lid and then drag it off. The reason the phone companies require gas testing before removing the lid is to prevent sparks from igniting an explosive gas in the hole. Like I said some of the telephone manholes have gasoline in them, of course methane is explosive too.
there are pick holes along the edge of the manhole, but the ring that the lid sits on prevents any kind of gas detector from going into the manhole without first popping it open.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Test, ventilate, test again, and continue to ventilate before even thinking of entering a manhole. In our safety training we were shown examples of people who died because they were in a hurry or the job was for "just for a minute".

I used to work in the telephone manholes. If you consider most of them are under a street and you have the added danger of distracted drivers it can make for a nervous experience. My biggest fear was an auto accident blocking and sealing the entrance. Thank God I don't have to go into them any more.

Prayers for the family.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years back a couple of employees of a Tyson poultry processing plant over here in west KY die after being overcome by noxious gasses from decomposing poultry leftovers. First one passed out and fell into a large vat full of chicken effluent. Second fellow died trying to rescue the first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Two brothers that I went to high school with died when they went into the hull on a steel barge. One of the company employees died as well when he went in to get them. It seems that when the barge was sealed up the last time someone lit a candle in it to burn off all of the oxygen to deter rust. Nobody gave it a second thought.

No, the life in the sea water decomposes. first aerobically taking up the o2 then anaerobically causing the deadly gases. Part of MY Hull Tech training, testing and venting bilges. Been in a number of the back then.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was there. I saw the old candle stub. I talked to their father.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what Obama will be doing now that he's got some free time...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Why did I think this thread was about Travis?

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Usually these end us as recoveries, not rescues.

If a person thinks they can hold their breath, try it some time.

Try dragging a person on level ground and see how far you can go on a single breath.

Thats the scary part about H2S. At high concentrations you cant smell it, take a couple deep breaths and its recovery time again.

Crazy that utility crew did not have a 4 gas meter......crazy the fireman did not either.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Why did I think this thread was about Travis?

laugh

Ha! I thought about that too, well not about Travis personally of course.....hesitated to click on the thread.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
years ago when i was younger and faster i was doing a cable survey down at the marine corp base in albany georgia and one of the base good-old-boys was working with me and taking his good old time so i got ahead of him. came up on one of the manholes that was old and the walls were dry-laid field stone with big gaps in them. i popped the lid and dropped down into this nasty fuggen hole, did my thing and crawled out just as the old boy was coming up on the hole. while i'm dusting myself off he says, "ya, there's usually some big old rattlers down in them ones." needless to say, i slowed down. it probably made for a good story for him and his buddies.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dess
Test, ventilate, test again, and continue to ventilate before even thinking of entering a manhole. In our safety training we were shown examples of people who died because they were in a hurry or the job was for "just for a minute".

I used to work in the telephone manholes. If you consider most of them are under a street and you have the added danger of distracted drivers it can make for a nervous experience. My biggest fear was an auto accident blocking and sealing the entrance. Thank God I don't have to go into them any more.

Prayers for the family.

Same here, went in them for over 30 years.
Many times we used to set up a truck as a blocker, when possible.
One incident stands out.
Had an 18 wheeler making a turn from a side road on to the main road.
I heard a noise, and when I looked up, I saw the 2 rear axles of the trailer going over the manhole. That's after taking out cones,manhole rack and rim.
The cop we hired was "down the road" BSing with another cop and didn't see a thing.

Had 2 guys in my company die back in the mid-80's due to rushing a job and not testing and purging.

Last edited by bucktales; 01/18/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
we have to wear monitors when working on wells that might have H2S. you don't have to be underground for it to get you.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
h2s - 10ppm

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we have to wear monitors when working on wells that might have H2S. you don't have to be underground for it to get you.

Yep.

Standard issue.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Casualties....

It's just flat heartbreaking trying to recover em' with conventional CPR,....their blood will no longer carry O2.

BTDT.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Been in a bunch of deep ditches too!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to go in one that you needed a 28 foot ladder to reach the bottom. Chimney alone was 15 feet. Four lids on it and we ran two blowers to purge it, and that's after pumping several feet of swill out. Good Times.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ONE thing that was stressed time and time again in our industrial first aid course was, SITUATIONAL AWARENESS
to obvious and especially less obvious dangers, ..to be very cautious NOT put yourself in the same situation as the victim
and make things worse....Fumes and electricity, unlike fire can easily become out of sight out of mind immediate threats.

I can understand the will and desire to 'rush' to someones aid, but its the professional fireman rash actions
that surprised me most.

but hey, commercial pilots still manage to run out of fuel and crash.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Permitted confined space entry for over 20 years. Saw a lot of strange things. Rusting will use up the O2 in a closed carbon steel vessel. Over come by N2 it the hardest to recover from. N2 is heavy and hard to displace from the lungs. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
https://youtu.be/kNcaiTM77cM

Here is a much better use of our sewer system. Even if it is a storm sewer it's still cool!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

427 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.