Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by 4ager
[quote=4ager]If he had the opportunity to call his son, why didn't he do that first?

See step 5 above.

Have someone else call your kid. Schit ain't hard, and plenty of ways to do it without telling anyone what is going on. "Hey, my phone is acting stupid. Can you call my son for me?" Text the kid and ask if he wants to go out for pizza for dinner, or take his GF out this weekend, or whatever.

Seems so simple until you get the call and it's your kid.

If it was my kid, you could bet your ass that I'd be doing everything possible to verify and to get a HELLUVA lot of assistance and support on finding the kid and hopefully killing the SOBs involved ASAP.

Verification comes first, and there are a LOT of ways to skin that cat.

Kid probably has a best friend, right? Or GF/BF? Damned sure has a mother, and other relatives.

THINK. [/quote

I THINK, it is easy to second guess someone when you aren't the one in the situation. #MMQB

Rather THINK and verify, than to be a #sheep and #easy mark. BTW - #MMQB and actually thinking about what could have been done differently might help someone else if they find themselves in a similar scam.

Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited by 4ager; 01/18/17.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500
You can text while talking on the phone. You can even text 911 I believe. You can ask your kid what your daily carry gun is and if the answer is wrong, you know it's BS.

Yep. Simply thinking for about 60 to 90 seconds about how to verify things or get help is never a bad idea.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He coulda stopped, sent texts and stayed with the call.
It ain't all that difficult, even a caveman coulda done that, at least.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If the kid was there to say he'd been kidnapped, just have em put the kid on the phone again, to tell him what the color is on the wall in his room, or somethin.

C
CaliRN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I asked about many of the same things here, why didn't he text his son, why didn't he write a note to have someone call the police, etc. His comment was that all he could think about was getting his kid back.

Don't think that this was his scam, nothing in the local fish wrapper about it, and he was really shook up for two or three days.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,097
Posts18,483,038
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.