Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

The unit of measure you use for distance really doesn't matter

You summed that up pretty well.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Nice cover-up for the man crush you have on me...

I got a rager.

PM sent.

Weiner

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by fredIII
My brain works in inches I tried mils they're ok but at this point it would cost 15 to 20 k to switch to mils from MOA. Not to mention all my hunting group runs MOA and spots and calls correction in MOA. Mils calls I need a reticle to call correction I can't just figure hit/ miss correction at a given distance is mils with out a reticle as a measure stick. With MOA its close enough to an inch I know the range say 750 yards my buddy hits 15 inches right I call move 2 MOA left he corrects 2 MOA left and he is on target. With mils I would have to judge the hit in the metric system. Which would be easier with a spotter with reticle. But I just find MOA easier. Not to mention the 1/4 MOA is more precise than mils. Even when rounding. There are 4 1/4-.25" in an MOA a mil is 3.6 MOA at 100 so the mil .1 = .36" and a MOA 1/4 = .25". SO even rounding MOA is more precise than mils. By a small fraction but still more precise.

One question I have for Jordan and Travis, is/ would or do you use meters instead of yards when using mils to simplify the whole process and stay completely on the metric system. Jordan being from the north I would guess yes but would like to hear your process. Clark I would guess has his tongue stuck to some window somewhere. LOL. Clark that Tract reticle really really sucks bad. Hope they get a MOA-MOA unit soon. It would be UBEr.

The best advice I have ever heard on this issue. Was pick one. MOA or MILS and stick with it, practice it, teach your buddies how to use it come up with what works best for your crew and enjoy.

The unit of measure you use for distance really doesn't matter, as long as you have a consistent point of reference. I used to use yards, but because I have tape measures that measure in inches as well as centimeters, I simply switched my RF to meters and print all my dope charts in meters, so that 0.1 Mil at 100 meters would be easily measurable as 1 cm. I design my own 100m targets on my computer, and I use a grid with 1 cm squares for Mil scopes or 1" squares for MOA scopes. That gives a quick point of reference for preliminary group measurement and tracking tests. The ONLY reason that lineal measurements even matter to me is for recording and observing group size. Aside from that, angular measurements are all a guy needs.

For making shot corrections at distance, you need to have a reference "ruler" for measurements. It's impossible for you and your spotter to know exactly what you both are talking about when you spot a miss at 800 yards and say '15" to the left'. Your spotter's estimation of 15" might actually be 20", or your 15" might actually be 10". Absolute, lineal measurements don't work unless you have a point of reference like a grid chart or a yard stick set up at the target. So you need a ruler in order to make sure you and your spotter are on the same page. Whether that reference is in the form of angular increments in your reticle, or a grid chart on your target, you need a common measurement language between you. Obviously it's not practical to have a grid chart that covers your target plus 5' on either side, so even with a 1'x1' grid chart, it's still possible to miss wide and be guessing about the correction needed. The only universal solution is to use a measurement ruler that can be moved on the fly to subtend the angular distance from the target to the POI, and for the units of measurement to be in a common language between you and your spotter. That means you both have reticles with angular increments using either MOA or Mils.

When I decided to switch from MOA to Mils, I had to make a mass migration, as well. It took a while, but I eventually sold off all my MOA scopes and bought the Mil scopes that I wanted (I still have a single MOA scope that is going strong). I bought a spotter eye piece with a Mil reticle, and life is good. Converting from MOA to Mils is a bit of a pain when a shooting buddy has an MOA scope, but it's manageable.

You asked about my process. I measure groups in MOA (because that's a universal language among guys who care about group size), and make shot corrections in Mils. I shoot paper at 100-200m, and rocks and steel for anything beyond that. It's a pretty simple system. It really doesn't matter if you're measuring distance in meters, yards, furlongs, or decimeters- angular measurements are consistent, regardless of the chosen unit of distance.

Bottom line is, you should be giving shot corrections in angular terms, not lineal measurements. Best case is when you and your spotter both have a reticle with angular measurements in the same units of measure, but even if you don't, you can still use terms that are consistent like "hold 1 target width to the right", or "hold on the left edge of the target", or something that is objective rather than being subjective with no point of reference, like trying to estimate inches of correction.

I agree. The correction I'm speaking to is a guess (well practiced and educated guess but still a guess ) and all are with out a reticle to measure against. I could not even begin to correct mils by using objects around the target as scale. With out a slide rule. But I do pretty good in MOA.
That said I do agree everything tightens up when reticles are used as rulers.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by deflave

I got a rager.

PM sent.

Weiner

One goat, one damn time!!!!! only one time.😏

Last edited by fredIII; 01/15/17.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If you shoot past MPBR (and inside it as well) you are doing yourself and whoever is shooting with you a huge disservice not running a ruler in both scope and spotter.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MIL or MOA is inconsequential to me as long as my turrets and reticle match.

Tanner

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
As long as the scope isn't too top heavy I don't mind moa or mil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I got a rager.

PM sent.

Weiner

Didn't get a PM.

My heart is broken.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
If you shoot past MPBR (and inside it as well) you are doing yourself and whoever is shooting with you a huge disservice not running a ruler in both scope and spotter.

Yep.

Clark

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Didn't get a PM.

My heart is broken.

Time heals all wounds.

Even the ones we don't remember.

On weekdays.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

If I miss, I note where the bullet splashed in the reticle. Say .8 mils right and .4 mils high. I hold .8 mils left and .4 mils lower and send another. I still don't understand the reason people feel the need to convert inches to mils.

John

Yeah, that works on just fine paper targets where you can come back to original POA & adjust per what the reticle tells you; not so much on an animal that will move from where it was when you shot as well as the scope moving with the recoil so not really being able to easily see POI.

As for the conversion comment, just intended for people than can't "think" in mils/metric..........obviously you can't be successful trying to make a conversion while trying to aim & shoot.........sorry about the confusion.

MM

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

If I miss, I note where the bullet splashed in the reticle. Say .8 mils right and .4 mils high. I hold .8 mils left and .4 mils lower and send another. I still don't understand the reason people feel the need to convert inches to mils.

John

Yeah, that works on just fine paper targets where you can come back to original POA & adjust per what the reticle tells you; not so much on an animal that will move from where it was when you shot as well as the scope moving with the recoil so not really being able to easily see POI.

As for the conversion comment, just intended for people than can't "think" in mils/metric..........obviously you can't be successful trying to make a conversion while trying to aim & shoot.........sorry about the confusion.

MM

Goodness..holy dog balls

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This thread is where real life and theories collide, pretty telling.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rosco1
This thread is where real life and theories collide, pretty telling.

It's more than hilarious.

And getting more hilarious'er by the day.

Clark

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

John

MM

I've killed a whole lot of living things using the reticle in a scope- quite a few were moving. Safe to say I've spotted as many being killed by others.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 01/15/17.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Didn't get a PM.

My heart is broken.

Time heals all wounds.

Said flave to that darn goat.

On weekdays.

Dave
FIXED IT.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've killed a whole lot of living things using the reticle in a scope- quite a few were moving. Safe to say I've spotted as many being killed by others.

Too bad your reading comprehension doesn't match your world class BS.

MM

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Too bad your reading comprehension doesn't match your world class BS.

MM

Please regale me as the only BS posted has been someone stating that you can't use a reticle to make corrections on an animal that might move. Well, that and stating that one should do a "conversion" of angular measurements to a linear one....

Though I've never shot "movers"...?
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Formidilosus; 01/16/17.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

John

MM

MM,

What scopes with mil based hash marks and mil turrets have you hunted with or shot with at all? How many rounds would you estimate you have shot using said scopes and under what circumstances?

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

John

MM

MM,

What scopes with mil based hash marks and mil turrets have you hunted with or shot with at all? How many rounds would you estimate you have shot using said scopes and under what circumstances?

Thanks,

John

Just compare your dicks and save us the drama.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 204guy, 160user, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,527
Posts18,491,115
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.