Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
joes Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
New to this caliber and in the hornady book it lists revolver loading data and a Ruger/TC data. Can I use the ruger/tc data for a ruger redhawk. Is the redhawk up to the hotter loads?

thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes you can, the redhawk is right up there with the strongest revolvers ever made.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
joes Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Another craze question and don't laugh, but I have a smith Governor, can I use the hotter loads in that? I know no plus P, but I would use the lower end of the loads.

thanks

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't have firsthand knowledge of a Governor's strength but I'm fairly certain that a Redhawk would have no problem with a load that would destroy a Governor.

Hopefully others can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd be very careful to keep loads for those 2 guns segregated.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
From Buffalo Bore:

"Can I shoot your +P 45 Colt ammo in my Taurus Judge or my S&W Governor?

No. The Judge/Governor is not designed to be strong enough to use +P ammo."

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

joes Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you!

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
No.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by joes
Another craze question and don't laugh, but I have a smith Governor, can I use the hotter loads in that? I know no plus P, but I would use the lower end of the loads.

thanks

No indeed those type revolvers need the weak Cowboy level loads.

The Redhawk can stand even heavier loads than the listed Ruget/TC loads

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
In the October 2014 issue of HANDLOADER Brian Pearce published data for thermonuclear .45 Colt loads for the Ruger Redhawk. In the article he said that the Redhawk can handle 45k-50k psi loads regularly. I've saved everything he's written about the .45 Colt since probably 2003. In the Bisley Blackhawks he maxes out in the 32K psi range.

I personally have no interest in lighting off and trying to hang onto that much horsepower, but it's nice to know that I can go up a ways past Hodgdon's published 30K psi loads with no real concerns especially with heavier bullets.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by stevelyn
In the October 2014 issue of HANDLOADER Brian Pearce published data for thermonuclear .45 Colt loads for the Ruger Redhawk. In the article he said that the Redhawk can handle 45k-50k psi loads regularly. I've saved everything he's written about the .45 Colt since probably 2003. In the Bisley Blackhawks he maxes out in the 32K psi range.

I personally have no interest in lighting off and trying to hang onto that much horsepower, but it's nice to know that I can go up a ways past Hodgdon's published 30K psi loads with no real concerns especially with heavier bullets.

Problems arise if you have more than one revolver in .45Colt. Loads that are safe for a Redhawk would likely destroy a SAA, or even a Model 25 Smith. I don't want to worry about keeping the hot stuff out of my 25, so I don't load any thing that it can't handle safely.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Problems arise if you have more than one revolver in .45Colt. Loads that are safe for a Redhawk would likely destroy a SAA, or even a Model 25 Smith. I don't want to worry about keeping the hot stuff out of my 25, so I don't load any thing that it can't handle safely.

My Ruger is strictly for use as a heavy-hitter for tent and sleeping bag security and when needed I crawl around in the alder bushes with it. I did try some Corbon Hunter 335gr loads ambling along at an advertised 1050fps on a bear that was killed for defense of life and property. It was a smallish brown bear but it passed through at 20ft. They shouldn't give you any problems with your S&W, but I wouldn't shoot them out a SAA or clones.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
We had a dumbass customer (No, they are not always right) who bragged he was approaching 454 level in his Judge. Split the cylinder. We sent it in. Taurus replaced it with the warning, reiterating that handloads violated the warranty. Also, stated it was a one-time replacement. Have not heard from him since.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Papag
We had a dumbass customer (No, they are not always right) who bragged he was approaching 454 level in his Judge. Split the cylinder. We sent it in. Taurus replaced it with the warning, reiterating that handloads violated the warranty. Also, stated it was a one-time replacement. Have not heard from him since.

What a dumbass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've ben loading for my 45 Colts since the early 70s. I started out with a Ruger Black Hawk, did the lets make this pistol a 44 mag. I finally matured and decided to concentrate on accuracy.I found that lapping my barrel, recrowning my muzzle, polished my action. Then I joined the CBA 9Cast Bullet Association) and found a lot of accuracy enhancement tricks. I sized my bullets to fit my cylinders, .4535- 454 using a medium hard alloy, LBT lube, 250 grain SAECO mold. Bought two four cavity molds. Set up the Dillon 650 for 45 Colt, 8.5 grains of Unique, Winchester primers, Starline brass, actually I'll use any make brass, Starline holds up longest.Once I got the 650 set up I never had to change it for 15 - 16 years

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've ben loading for my 45 Colts since the early 70s. I started out with a Ruger Black Hawk, did the lets make this pistol a 44 mag. I finally matured and decided to concentrate on accuracy.I found that lapping my barrel, recrowning my muzzle, polished my action. Then I joined the CBA 9Cast Bullet Association) and found a lot of accuracy enhancement tricks. I sized my bullets to fit my cylinders, .4535- 454 using a medium hard alloy, LBT lube, 250 grain SAECO mold. Bought two four cavity molds. Set up the Dillon 650 for 45 Colt, 8.5 grains of Unique, Winchester primers, Starline brass, actually I'll use any make brass, Starline holds up longest.Once I got the 650 set up I never had to change it for 15 - 16 years

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
4227 is easy on older guns, reportedly preferred by Hank Williams, Jr., a big time Colt collector and shooter.

It works very well in my 24" Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt with 300 gr. bullets, both jacketed and cast. Evidently 4227 has a smooth pressure curve, not a sharp peak.

Now, just for target loads, Red Dot is hard to beat, very accurate and consistent.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
4227 is easy on older guns, reportedly preferred by Hank Williams, Jr., a big time Colt collector and shooter.

It works very well in my 24" Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt with 300 gr. bullets, both jacketed and cast. Evidently 4227 has a smooth pressure curve, not a sharp peak.

Now, just for target loads, Red Dot is hard to beat, very accurate and consistent.

DF

Do you have any experience with H110? I use copper plated 300 grainers and 300 grain cast gas checked in my Rossie 92 using 20 grains of H110.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Do you have any experience with H110? I use copper plated 300 grainers and 300 grain cast gas checked in my Rossie 92 using 20 grains of H110.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don’t really like H-110, although I have some.

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.