Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Good options for OWB carry? How about ammo? I've got some Hornady 124gn. XTP's for now. What say the 'fire?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry the Speer Golddot 124 gr +P JHP load. And I care mine in my right front pocket in a cheap neoprene type pocket holster.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm currently using a High Noon Slide Guard for my Shield and like it a lot. My first choice in carry ammo is the Federal HST 124 gr. +P.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
mitch rosen express belt scabbard and 124 grain federal HST

FJB
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, will look into them.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Good options for OWB carry? How about ammo? I've got some Hornady 124gn. XTP's for now. What say the 'fire?
Something that rides high on the belt tends to work best for sub-compacts in an OWB. My favorite OWB's are either the Pancake or Askins Avenger from HBE Leatherworks. Another really good option for OWB is the El Paso Highside or Street Combat; two great OWB's for sub-compact pistols.

As for load, you've started off with a very good one. I say any 124-147 JHP from any of the major makers will get the job done quite well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 147 gr XTP's at 1000fps.
Carry that in a pocket holster in my right rear pocket.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd look at 124 Hydra-shoks.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't sweat this load over that load, it's wasted time. Anything from 124-147 in a JHP made by a highly reputable ammunition manufacturer and you're good to go. Now go forth, practice so you can ensure that you'll do your part.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short barrel Gold Dot, well proven. Save the duty barrel loads for duty length barrels, especially the 147 version. The 43 loses too much velocity in comparison to a duty barrel.

I have completely converted to AIWB with the 43, which I resisted for quite some time, so I do understand the dislike some express. Regardless the technique, my advice would be to avoid any holster, which has bulk in comparison to the size of the 43. There are quite a number of trim designs, especially appendix, that are first class, that work well with the 43.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Don't sweat this load over that load, it's wasted time. Anything from 124-147 in a JHP made by a highly reputable ammunition manufacturer and you're good to go. Now go forth, practice so you can ensure that you'll do your part.

10-4, shot up my small stock of practice ammo yesterday, need to get some more.

Thanks again, to all, for the suggestions.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Short barrel Gold Dot, well proven. Save the duty barrel loads for duty length barrels, especially the 147 version. The 43 loses too much velocity in comparison to a duty barrel.

Not sure what the SB GDHP will do but Fed standard HST 147gr should run about 50 fps slower in a G43 vs a G19 (~955 fps vs 1005 fps) which doesn't strike me as loosing to much velocity. For self-defense, that's still plenty of power IMO and they're not bad on recoil either.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was already tested. The latest 147GD is designed around duty length barrels. Excellent performance in that window. When taken down to short barrel velocities, those advantages are lost, as it takes the bullet out of the intended window. The 124 load bumps it back into the window, but on the edge. Tests of this were spotty, because it was on the edge, so a short barrel load was developed. The short barrel GD is designed for excellent performance in that lower 43 velocity range, smack in the middle of the window.

If you were intending to use the 43 for self defense, I would highly recommend the short barrel GD. If you intended to use a 17, I'd highly recommend the 147GD. If a 19, some prefer going down to the 124GD, and that round has a good record. But in a 43, SBGD.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/29/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a DeSantis mini-slide and 124 gr Federal 124 gr HST's. I can wear the gun for 12 hours and it is never uncomfortable.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
DeSantis Mini Scabbard for me and I bought the Federal 124 gr HST in std pressure. There are lots of videos showing ballistic gel tests for many of the popular JHP rounds. They all do not perform the same, but many perform well. The videos are worth checking out.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Most HP's, even from major manufacturers do not reliably nor consistently upset in tissue. While hitting the correct anatomy is the first concern, when buying ammo it makes sense to choose the best performing ammo available.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Most HP's, even from major manufacturers do not reliably nor consistently upset in tissue. While hitting the correct anatomy is the first concern, when buying ammo it makes sense to choose the best performing ammo available.

Exactly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you FormD. I am simply trying to learn and realize my shooting sucks, can't draw well, take too long to reload but I am taking shooting classes as I can afford them. Lo and behold training is just as important as what guns you fondle.

Geek you asked me why in your PM why I badger you. Here is why. I just naturally abhor a charlatan, and if you give bad advice to boot this is dangerous. Pictures of guns is one thing, pictures of you as an EMT, personal security guard, Twin tower guard, Shooting IDPA, etc??.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I dont carry OWB; but not sure if its the best 124 grain short barrel Gold Dot is my choice.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jimmyp; 02/04/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too prefer the short barrel gold dots in any gun with a sub 4" barrel. The specially. Lended powders help get the speed up a bit while diminishing the horrid muzzle flash that is typical in guns of this size.

I don't have a G43, but do have a pair of Shields.

I don't owb mine so no help on holsters as all of mine are iwb and appendix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.