Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have many questions about HOTSPOTS in relation to WIFI. I want to use my mobile data to run wifi in my house because my wifi carrier is just horrible and it constantly goes out so I just need another option. There are no reliable carriers in my area so hence my questions on hotspot. Right now I pay $50 a month for wifi that isn't worth $5 a month.

1. What all is needed to convert 4G to wifi?
2. Are they password required to log in?
3. How much data will they eat up? (I have a 16gb mobile plan and only currently use 2gb per month)
4. What is the cost comparisons?
5. Pros? Cons?

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What specific sercice do you have now? Is it a cellular service?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah what kind of service are you talking about "...wifi carrier is just horrible...", is that a mobile phone service or an Internet Service Provider DSL line running to your wifi?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if you have a iphone you can get hotspot data turned on for like $20/mo for i think 5g download, depending on your service. i have sprint. you can run 4 devices off of it. it is password protected. it is great wifi but the internet connection depends on your cell signal. i do this on vacation. i can turn it on and off as needed. it would be ok for a replacement for your isp data but would greatly depend on your internet usage, movies, videos, etc.

My diploma is a DD214
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
A typical "hotspot" is a battery operated cell phone like device with its own phone number, which will allow wi-fi connection. The battery must be recharged periodically (usually via USB), and the data stream can be pass word protected.

Alternatives are an "aircard" which also has its own phone number, but plugs into a USB port on the computer. The aircard communicates securely with the computer through, and is powered by the USB port.

At my house, we use a Verizon "cantanae" which is simply a cell phone antenae which is mounted outside the house and hard wired to a router in the house via co-ax. The router has its own phone number and is hard wired to my desk top (as the computer is not wi-fi capable) and also provides a wi-fi signal through the house for the tablet, cell phones, smart TV, BD player, etc. The wi-fi signal may be pass word protected.

The cantanae and router were provided free of charge from Verizon with a two year contract commitment. There is a $20/mo access fee for any of the devices mentioned here. They are each limited to the same data stream speed as your cell phone, typically 4Glte.

My house has a steel roof, which severely inhibits data transmission. The outside antenae gives a much stronger signal and faster data stream than was available from the inside the house devices.

And yes, most smart phones can be used to provide a hotspot. It eats batteries quickly to do so, and I have been told by sales clerks that the overheating severely shortens life expectancy of the phone. Your cell provider will have a surchage to turn on this capability in your smartphone.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Which service do you have?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I currently have verizon home internet and I also have Verizon cell phone service

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Verizon Home Internet?
Through what device?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by buckthumper
I currently have verizon home internet and I also have Verizon cell phone service

Which one works and which one doesn't work?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
A typical "hotspot" is a battery operated cell phone like device with its own phone number, which will allow wi-fi connection. The battery must be recharged periodically (usually via USB), and the data stream can be pass word protected.

Alternatives are an "aircard" which also has its own phone number, but plugs into a USB port on the computer. The aircard communicates securely with the computer through, and is powered by the USB port.

At my house, we use a Verizon "cantanae" which is simply a cell phone antenae which is mounted outside the house and hard wired to a router in the house via co-ax. The router has its own phone number and is hard wired to my desk top (as the computer is not wi-fi capable) and also provides a wi-fi signal through the house for the tablet, cell phones, smart TV, BD player, etc. The wi-fi signal may be pass word protected.

The cantanae and router were provided free of charge from Verizon with a two year contract commitment. There is a $20/mo access fee for any of the devices mentioned here. They are each limited to the same data stream speed as your cell phone, typically 4Glte.

My house has a steel roof, which severely inhibits data transmission. The outside antenae gives a much stronger signal and faster data stream than was available from the inside the house devices.

And yes, most smart phones can be used to provide a hotspot. It eats batteries quickly to do so, and I have been told by sales clerks that the overheating severely shortens life expectancy of the phone. Your cell provider will have a surchage to turn on this capability in your smartphone.

This. I looked into it when we moved to Oregon. We moved to a different town and got good service so I did not have to go with the Verizon system.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Verizon DSL with wifi router does NOT work good at all but my verizon cell phone with 4G works outstanding

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Verizon DSL is, I assume, delivered over a hardwire?

Which probably means Verizon is renting space on somebody's phone system?

Just guessing here, as I do not know what happens in your state.

Talk to your local Verizon Corporate store about the options I mentioned earlier. You stated you are currently paying $50/mo for you internet service, and also have 16 gb/mo available on your mobile plan.

The data used by any of the options I listed will come out of your mobile plan. The access fee will be $20/mo, for a net saving of $30/mo.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
When traveling I hotspot with both my personal AT&T cell phone and my work Verizon cell depending which has the best service for that area. Both work very well BUT with AT&T I can talk and use data at the same time were with the Verizon cells you can not do both at once only one or the other.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WIFI is not a broadband/Internet service. It's a local wireless connection technology, such as between your mobile devices/computer and a router. The router is the device to connects the home or a device to a broadband/Internet provider. Internet service is provided by cable, DSL, Cellular or satellite connections. Cable may not be available in rural areas. Satellite is slow and may not be available if the path to the satellite is masked by structures or landscape. Cellular can be spotty in rural areas. DSL (data over landline phone cabling) is available in many areas where cable service is not provided. Regardless of the broadband source, all can be routed to your mobile devices as a "hotspot". The broadband "modem" just needs to include or be connected to a WIFI router.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Verizon home Internet is probably a DSL connection. All you would need to do is connect a WIFI router to your DSL modem and configure it. Configuring it would include giving it a WIFI SSID (network name that is broadcasted in the home) and setting up any security you want to safeguard the "hotspot". In other words, you don't need another "hotspot" service. All you need to is create your own hotspot by installing a WIFI router connected to your existing Internet service.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 01/29/17.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Verizon jet pack hot spot. It works great! I use it when I'm working from my farm. I have no internet there. As long as u have a decent phone signal you're in business. I also use it as a backup for my hard wire internet at home. It's always been rock solid. About $50 for 5 gig a month.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Verizon home Internet is probably a DSL connection. All you would need to do is connect a WIFI router to your DSL modem and configure it. Configuring it would include giving it a WIFI SSID (network name that is broadcasted in the home) and setting up any security you want to safeguard the "hotspot". In other words, you don't need another "hotspot" service. All you need to is create your own hotspot by installing a WIFI router connected to your existing Internet service.

This is confusing. Where are you getting your "WIFI service"? Do you already have a WIFI router connected to your DSL modem? Are you saying THAT sucks? Or do you already have a standalone cellular hotspot and are looking for alternatives?

MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Would the quality, stability and consistency of your WiFi signal be dependent on the same of your DSL service?

Where we live we have very frequent, short term, back-to back, up and down service outages and fluctuations in downloads speeds (AT&T U-verse) usually lasting anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, making anything requiring a stable internet connection unusable at times, including WiFi dependent devices such as Roku, etc.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Verizon gave me the modem. It is DSL and Wifi in the same verizon router. A hardline, aka phone line goes into it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Verizon gave me the modem. It is DSL and Wifi in the same verizon router. A hardline, aka phone line goes into it.

DSL shouldn't be too bad. It's not as fast as cable but should be okay for most uses. If it isn't reliable, how so? Is it too slow? Or does it not connect sometimes? The service provider should be able to ping your house across the network and test the throughput. I have a friend out in the county and he has called about his DSL and they tweaked it and he's good now.

The thing about the stand alone hotspots is they are completely dependent on your cellular signal where you are. If Verizon gets 3-5 bars rutinely there, you could get a MIFI hotspot. I support those at work and they are okay. The Netgear AC791L model Verizon offers has worked pretty well for us. Be careful with Verizon because when they say unlimited, that may not be totally correct, so read the fine print. Ours are truly unlimited because I set them up for first responders and Verizon doesn't cap there bandwidth.

Bottom line, if your Verizon cellular signal is good, take a look at replacing DSL with something like this:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/verizon-jetpack-4g-lte-mobile-hotspot-ac791l/

MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 83 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,721
Posts18,494,661
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.