Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, it does really well with the #2 Shilen. And as another contributor wrote, the Scenar is sooooo easy...

I shot the gun in the McWoody Mtn. rifle stock all season. It's std. fill and heavier than this old ADL stock I got from a good bud. That stock has a lot of sap wood, was a nightmare to finish, so I fit it to the CM, slimmed it down a LOT, removed a bunch of wood, even hollowed out the butt and painted it. About the only positive thing about sap wood, it's light.

The gun with this stock and the Conquest 3-9 (not a real light scope) tips the scales at 7# 11 oz. So, without a scope it would be six pounds and some change, with the VX-3 shown in the second photo, probably 7 1/2 pounds.

DF

[Linked Image]

I just put it back in the ADL stock, still wearing the Conquest. I like the aluminum Rem 700 butt plate, grips the shoulder much better than a plastic butt plate, tougher, too. Gun has a 510 Timney set at 2.5 #'s.

[Linked Image]

I cut the grip way down, almost looks like a Prince of Wales shotgun grip.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DF, I approve! You have some nice shooting irons for sure!

I did a trip to the gunshop and walked with the wallet lighter. Picked up a Full Length Hornady Die, 2 boxes of factory Hornady ammo (143 ELD X Precision Hunter, 129 SST Superformance) to sight in the new rifle and to keep the brass.

Picked up some Warne 1" rings to go along with it and mounted aLeupold 6x18-40.

Need to remove 1 or 2 shims from the stock and it should be good to go!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One thing about the CM, factory ammo is so good, you'll have to work to load better.

This season, I shot Hornady factory 140 AMax's. I haven't had time to work up loads, had the factory ammo and went with it.

Killed some hogs, no WT's. Our hunting area got flooded and we let the deer recover, didn't put any pressure on them.

DF

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't purchased rifle ammunition in 20 years, so it was a big leap for me, since I'm still acquiring dies and components for this thing. I figured what the heck?

A girlfriend of mine wants to go hunting next year so I will probably let her use this or a 223 Rem for deer season.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Correction on the 120 NBT 6.5 Creedmoor load, it was a 123 Scenar with Varget.

[Linked Image]

Very nice! That's what most all 123 Scenar loads look like out of the Creedmoor, but I think you can tighten it up some more. Try some Accurate 4064, or some Re-17. wink

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have both of those powders.

I'm going to have some fun this Spring with load development. This CM shoots a lot of sub-inch combos.

I tried 125 NPT's, but they were an inch or better; I wish it liked Partitions. That's OK for hunting, but hard to stick with out of a half inch (or better) gun.

At Creed speed, these Scenars should do well. I got turned off to them after a .240 Wby 90 gr. turned a WT chest to soup. That was obviously too much speed for that bullet's construction. I contacted Pat (Scenarshooter) and he sent me some 105's to try, but my 10 twist .240 wouldn't stabilize them.

I also have Scenar 136L's and 139's to try. My Mauser 6.5x55 prefers the 139 over all other bullets, which is OK. It's a bit more finicky than the CM, both have Shilen #2 barrels, the Creed a 24" stainless the Swede a 23" chrome moly blue.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Esox357
A girlfriend of mine wants to go hunting next year so I will probably let her use this or a 223 Rem for deer season.

IMO, it would depend on the individual gun, which one fit her better, which one she liked and could shoot better.

As far as recoil, the Creed is so mild mannered, she'd probably be able to handle that round about as well as a .223.

And, then she wouldn't be "trick shooting"... shocked

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tested some loads today with 44.5 grains RL17 and the groups and velocity are nice,3,100 FPS with a sierra 120 grainer . Gonna try to ring some steel tomorrow at 800,it shouldnt be a problem.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
There has been some discussion about "accurate rounds", that is, some rounds being inherently more accurate than others. Some say that's not the case, depends more on factors other than case design.

But to compare my 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x55, both with new #2 Shilen barrels, both glass bedded and free floated by me, the Creed is a lot easier to load for, will shoot a lot more combos into tiny troups than the Swede. The Swede is a stellar performer with the loads it likes, just doesn't like nearly as many as the Creed.

I have to look for a load the Creed doesn't like, have to look for a load the Swede does like.

Appreciate your input?

DF

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DF, I would prefer her to use the 6.5 CM over the 223 but she really like the 223 so hopefully I will be able to get her to shoot the 6.5 CM?

She is new to shooting but likes venison. I was surprised when she asked me if she could go hunting with me next year? I did not expect that but will happily take her!

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Darkker

Anyone using Superperformance in the Creedmoor?

DF

Boy-howdy!
Have burned over 16# of it in the Creedmoor, and have Pressure Trace data for it. Very stable across temps, and is very progressive in burning. What I found is that you can back off pressure by 10,000+ psi, and will only lose @50 fps because of the changing burning curve.

My first few lots were FAR slower than Hornady data (12%), the newest jug is spot on.

As to where to get it, it's all over the place.
Grafs, Midsouth, Bruno Shooters, etc.

Thanks for that info. I already have a supply of SPF to work with.

I've heard that some of the new, high performance powders, like H100V, SPF, etc., tend to be more temp sensitive than some. And, I've read that temp sensitivity can be application specific, that is, all rounds don't necessarily handle a powder exactly the same way.

So, that's good to know. I'm gonna work up SPF Creed loads with 140's. I already have a tight shooting load, Varget with 120 NBT's. SPF may be a tad slow for the lighter bullets. Your thoughts on that.

DF

So yes, any claim of temp stability being universal is from someone uniformed, or someone flat lying to sell you something. Stability is designed for an application, something similar can also show those traits. The bulk of the chatter is mostly misunderstood, and is heat-soak affecting the primer; but the powder takes the blame. Dr. Bramwell has tested and shown this several times. Varget was designed for ball ammo in the 7.62 NATO. As many know, it works wonderfully in the 5.56/223 as well. But scientifically speaking, it is a steaming pile for sensitivity in the 5.56 compared to the very old H335/Bl-c(2) powders. So don't live or die by the "Extreme" nonsense. General dynamics ball powders get tested over a much wider range of temps by the Naval warfare testing center, than Hodgdon shows. There is a very good reason why GD supplies 95+% of the propellant to the military.

Dave Emary was formerly a powder developer at GD, so it isn't a shock that Hornady has data, and not the reseller. For heaven sake, much of Hodgy data is still in inaccurate CUP!

Yes, I believe Supr may be a poor choice for light stuff. Personally I've only used 748, and it's improved variant; CFE in sub 120gr bullets.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good info, thanks for sharing.

DF

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.