Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
340boy,
It's correctly termed "the island"

Interesting side note. The scene in one of the Star Trek movies where they went to Enterprise to collect some nuclear fuel, wasn't filmed on Enterprise. It was filmed on USS Ranger in San Diego. I was mustering for the duty section on the hangar deck when they filmed the scene of Checkov? running across the hangar and taking the fall to the barge below.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a West Pac cruise on Enterprise as a member of VAQ-137 back in '74-'75. Hell of good ship. We had it better than the oil-burners because we always had water. Back in those days it was a bragging point to say you could shower every day.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pugs

She was the fastest of the carriers...

No joke that. I recall being in a much smaller ship's CIC and watching the Big E's "blip" move across the screen. She was hauling ass at a speed I still have difficulty comprehending.

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They have to build another.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There's just nothing like an object over 1000 feet long weighing close to 100,000 TONS moving at close to 50knots.

Stupidity is expensive
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
There's just nothing like an object over 1000 feet long weighing close to 100,000 TONS moving at close to 50knots.

And with helpful winds you can add close to another 10 knots to that!

-=[Bob]=-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My uncle spent around 20 years on that thing.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The article stated that CV80 would inherit the moniker "Enterprise". Bravo Zulu, 65!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A bunch of us old farts lobbied hard to name our last two Carriers Coral Sea and Midway after the two battles defining Naval Aviation, as you can see, we failed. I sure as hell hope they name a carrier Enterprise and not some Black Shoe cruiser!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How about a new ship, the SS Obama. It would have no guns, a crew of pussies and women who dress as pussies. On second thought, none of the crew would know how to work.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barney Clark? The artificial heart dude??? So rude!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Poor Captain Kirk. Will Starfleet assign him to another star ship?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I served on CVA(N)65 on a WestPac cruise in '68 but not as ship's company. I was attached to RVAH-1 reconnaissance squadron flying the RA-5C Vigilante. 4 important things happened on that cruise, at least in my mind.

We went through a typhoon after we left Pearl and the seas tore off most of the flightdeck safety catwalks which were more than 100' above the water line. Talk about battening down the hatches! Instead of the weather getting warmer heading toward Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of North Vietnam, it got miserably cold as we steamed into the Sea of Japan after the Pueblo got snatched by the North Koreans.

We sailed in circles for almost a month only launching our 6 Viggies to keep track of the goings-on. Every tech in my ASB shop wrote down Long/Lat data after every launch; we would stick pins in a map to see where we'd been. Our AN/ASB12 inertial navigation system used the same digital VERDAN computer as the Enterprise. There's crapped the bed once and we loaned them one of our spares until IAMD could fix their original.

At that time, Enterprise was still considered a SHOWBOAT, being the only nuke carrier and still fairly new. We made a stop at Sasebo, Japan Navy base for R&R. And promptly got inundated with protesters. It seems Enterprise was the first nuke there since we bombed them in WWII. They took offense and all our leaves were cut short because the top brass feared major retaliation.

Today happens to be the 49th anniversary of the TET offensive. We got there just in time to spend the next 62 days online without a break. FYI, all carriers must sail into the wind to launch and recover aircraft. At that time of year the wind came from onshore so we were always sailing toward the beach. Viet Cong artillery reached to 24 miles. Oft times we sailed closer than that to launch/recover the last few aircraft. VC gunners threw everything they had at Enterprise as it would have been the prize of all prizes if hit--another feather in their cap, propaganda-wise. But they never did. A couple of our plane guards got smacked and we took in their wounded to our hospital. Enterprise earned the battle efficiency E for that cruise. You can see it painted on the island from pictures of that era.

Finally after ~6 months, we got relieved by another carrier. The captain came on the horn and asked everyone their opinion: should we poke along with the rest of our flotilla back to the west coast or should we beat feet as fast as our 8 nuke reactors could take us? A definite rhetorical question as I couldn't hear anyone scream in favor of the slow boat cruise home. It took less than 4 hours for all other ships in our carrier group to disappear from sight.

Once again the Viggi's inertial navigation system proved useful to tell us how fast Enterprise was putting WestPac behind us.
46 kkknnnnoooottttssss. I'm sure it would have been faster but one of the 4 prop shafts was bent causing everything inside and outside to shudder unmercifully. But we didn't care. And no stack gas to inhale ever.

RIP Enterprise

Last edited by onefunzr2; 01/31/17.
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by onefunzr2
I served on CVA(N)65 on a WestPac cruise in '68 but not as ship's company. I was attached to RVAH-1 reconnaissance squadron flying the RA-5C Vigilante.

Tied with the F-11 Tiger for the best looking jet the Navy has ever flown. I'm glad I wasn't an NFO in one though.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Barney Clark? The artificial heart dude??? So rude!
correct!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm glad we didn't have to deal with the R-5 or the A-3. Too darn big, and took up too much room on the deck. F-14s were bad enough. Same for E-2s now that I think about it.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by onefunzr2
I served on CVA(N)65 on a WestPac cruise in '68 but not as ship's company. I was attached to RVAH-1 reconnaissance squadron flying the RA-5C Vigilante.

Tied with the F-11 Tiger for the best looking jet the Navy has ever flown. I'm glad I wasn't an NFO in one though.

[Linked Image]

You don't hear much about that one. What a beautiful aircraft. I remember building a model of it that had the 'nuke' that came out the back. I bombed lots of anthills with that sucker. Booom! laugh

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
340boy,
It's correctly termed "the island"

Interesting side note. The scene in one of the Star Trek movies where they went to Enterprise to collect some nuclear fuel, wasn't filmed on Enterprise. It was filmed on USS Ranger in San Diego. I was mustering for the duty section on the hangar deck when they filmed the scene of Checkov? running across the hangar and taking the fall to the barge below.

Snake,
Thanks for the correction!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.