-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a Ruger 77 MKII 270 in a zytel stock and its the ultralight with the 20" barrel. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and how they generally shoot?

Rob
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
both mine, 204 and 7/08 are shooters....

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I tried 2 of these in .223 Rem, another one in 30-06 and also one in .270 Win......I really liked the way the rifles felt and handled but none were really good MOA shooters.......Good luck....Hb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess I will find out when my scope arrives...have my fingers crossed as I really like the feel of the rifle.

Rob
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have an UL in .30-06 that I like a lot. Mine has never been a 1" gun but I have gotten it to shoot 1 1/2" groups on several occasions. It is darn hard to beat as an overall hunting rifle. With a little experimentation, you will very likely find a load that it likes very well. I'll never sell mine.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a MK 2 in 257 and had one in 243. Both are about 1.5 inch guns. I have a Hawkeye UL 30-06 it's about a 1.5 inch gun. Bottom line is that if you are hunting inside 300 yards accuracy won't likely be an issue. Some people don't like the way they balance. I love the way they feel on my hand. They seem to like pressure on the foreend. Is yours stainless? If so there weren't many of them made in stainless synthetic. Good find.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Feels nice to me but I haven't mounted a scope on it yet.

Yes it's a stainless rifle...I figured it was a good find for $500 here in Canada

Rob
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess I got lucky. My UL is a first production year 223Rem. It shoots like this with a 50gr TTSX and TAC.

[Linked Image]

And like this with the 63gr Sierra and Varget.

[Linked Image]

However, it is about a 2 MOA shooter with my old standby, the 55gr Hornady SP.

Last edited by TATELAW; 01/31/17.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
M
M
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I have an UL in .30-06 that I like a lot. Mine has never been a 1" gun but I have gotten it to shoot 1 1/2" groups on several occasions. It is darn hard to beat as an overall hunting rifle. With a little experimentation, you will very likely find a load that it likes very well. I'll never sell mine.

Same here! I've had my Ultra Light M77 MK II .30-06 with the zytel stock since I was a kid. I love mine and it's dropped every deer I've shot at. It's a fantastic rifle that is extremely durable and lightweight. I live in the harsh environment of Southeastern Alaska and the stainless/synthetic materials on this rifle are bulletproof. It uses a rock solid Mauser action, which is, in my mind, the very best bolt action design ever created. Good luck finding a modern bolt rifle these days in a decent price range that can match the quality of a Ruger M77 Mk II. I am not a big fan of the new Ruger rifles myself and I do not believe they are the same level of quality as the older M77s. Many people don't like the M77 MK II trigger, but they can be modified.

Last edited by Mogg2112; 01/31/17.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I've had a number of MKIIs over the years. The only UL I've ever had was a 308.

It gave me 1-1.25" groups with factory ammo- Rem Core-lokt, Hornady American whitetail, Federal Fusion.

It was the 2nd worst shooting Ruger I ever had.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tatelaw, that is fantastic accuracy. My 1.5 inch groups came from guns that are bone stock and with minimal load development. I could probably tweak out some better loads, but my rifles are southern woods hunting rifles and 1.5 is more than adequate.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you are interested, I have a friend that got a 77 Mk2 LH at an estate sale with a burris 3X-9X scope Walnut stock, 270 Win.
He wants to sell it.
it looks unfired

If anyone is interested let me know in a PM and I'll put you in touch with him.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by harv3589
I just picked up a Ruger 77 MKII 270 in a zytel stock and its the ultralight with the 20" barrel. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these and how they generally shoot?

After years of sneering at Rugers over rumors of poor accuracy, I ended up with a limited edition M77 Mk II 35 Whelen in a Zytel stock. It shot 1 MOA with a 4x Leupold and 250-grain Hornadys at an honest 2,550 fps. I currently own a stainless M77 Mk II in 30-06 that shoots 1 MOA with Federal's cheapest 30-06/180 load.

I'm done sneering, and I'll buy more M77's if I find them at the right price.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Tatelaw, that is fantastic accuracy. My 1.5 inch groups came from guns that are bone stock and with minimal load development. I could probably tweak out some better loads, but my rifles are southern woods hunting rifles and 1.5 is more than adequate.

I've done the same to this one that I do to all my M77s. I free floated the barrel, devcon bedded the action, replaced the trigger spring with one of Ernie's, and made sure the magazine box wasn't binding. I was worried when it wouldn't shoot the Hornady bullet that usually shoots well in everything else, but the two pictured were the next two bullets I tried. I haven't been able to repeat that 63gr Sierra group that I posted, but the norm is 1/2-3/4 inch. I'm very pleased with that from an UL rifle.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TATELAW

I've done the same to this one that I do to all my M77s. I free floated the barrel, devcon bedded the action, replaced the trigger spring with one of Ernie's, and made sure the magazine box wasn't binding. I was worried when it wouldn't shoot the Hornady bullet that usually shoots well in everything else, but the two pictured were the next two bullets I tried. I haven't been able to repeat that 63gr Sierra group that I posted, but the norm is 1/2-3/4 inch. I'm very pleased with that from an UL rifle.

So you just replace the springs and no other trigger work? You find it helps out and gives you a decent trigger?

Rob
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by harv3589
Originally Posted by TATELAW

So you just replace the springs and no other trigger work? You find it helps out and gives you a decent trigger?

I've always thought most of my Ruger triggers were pretty good, just a little heavy. The new spring brings it down about 1-1.5lbs. My trigger on that rifle breaks at 3lbs by my gauge. And yes, that's all I do to the trigger. I've looked around online and watched YouTube videos about trigger jobs on the Rugers, but I've never been brave enough to jump in and try it. I have a boat paddle 7Mag that had the worst trigger I've ever seen. Had to have been 8-10 lbs. I had a local smith work it for me and it's wonderful now. And he doesn't charge a fortune.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got mine in 1995. It became my favorite rifle! It's chambered in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Unfortunately it has a 1 in 103/4 twist and won't shoot bullets over 100 grains very accurately. I've found the 100 grain bullets perform very well on deer.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one in 243 Winchester. I replaced the trigger with a Timney. It's probably the most accurate rifle I own and has accounted for many deer, antelope and coyotes. At 100 yards, it's sub moa with my reloads. Great rifles!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have one in 257 Roberts. I've been toying with the idea of cutting 1 1/2" off the end and slapping it in a Ruger Mannlicher stock. I'm sure it won't happen.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,708
Posts18,513,919
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.