Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I recently got pulled over by the town of Jackson for not using a hands free phone device inside the city limits. First thing the officer asked was if I was carrying. I answered yes. He asked where. I told him right front pocket. He asked that I leave it there. I already had drivers license, insurance, and registration out for him when he came to the window. Kept my hands out where he could see them and was polite. Took my warning and went on about my business. Dealing with cops in these situations isn't rocket science. Even though I think the hands free law is ridiculous it doesn't do me any good to give the officer a ration of chit about it. That's what city councils are for.

That's how interactions should go, I totally agree.

+2

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager
The issue is that carrying concealed without a permit is illegal in that state. The cop saw a concealed weapon; PC of a crime in progress, which permitted the stop.

Since it's illegal to drive without a license, is it okay to pull over any car since the act of driving is probable cause to believe the driver may be driving without a license? That's silly.

Carrying with a permit is legal. So the cop is allowed to disarm before asking if you have a permit? The cop had already told the defendent to keep his hands up and visible. Obviously the court upheld it as legal under Terry, the question is whether they should.

Is it okay for any cop to forcibly disarm a citizen with a firearm prior to checking for possession of a license? If grabbing from a waistband is okay, where's the stopping point?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The issue is that carrying concealed without a permit is illegal in that state. The cop saw a concealed weapon; PC of a crime in progress, which permitted the stop.

Clearly your way more versed in law then I do to your previous occupations which leads to my question.

In reading the appeal decision I surmised that all ccw was in fact illegal by letter of the law and that the ccw merely becomes an "admissible defense" to violation of the law as it's an permissible exemption to the statute.

If I'm interpreting it right, why would the state not amend the law to state that ccw is simply illegal in absense of a permit to do so. It just seems simpler to me that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shown my CHL every time I've been asked for my D L, which is what we are required to do in Tx. IF WE ARE CARRYING. Sometimes the cops ask me where my firearm is but usually they don't.

I've never been disarmed but it wouldn't bother me if they wanted to.

I'm not carrying to protect myself from cops.

Some of you sound as if YOU are.

It helps if you understand that your license is actually just an affirmative defense against prosecution for an activity which, on its face, is illegal.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I've shown my CHL every time I've been asked for my D L, which is what we are required to do in Tx. IF WE ARE CARRYING. Sometimes the cops ask me where my firearm is but usually they don't.

I've never been disarmed but it wouldn't bother me if they wanted to.

I'm not carrying to protect myself from cops.

Some of you sound as if YOU are.

It helps if you understand that your license is actually just an affirmative defense against prosecution for an activity which, on its face, is illegal.

Exactly this in jurisdictions where concealed carry is verboten without a permit.

Well said!

Last edited by 4ager; 02/01/17.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
calhoun: And which of hildabeasts Supreme Court nominees do you think would be MORE pro-Second Amendment than Judge Gorsuch?
Your specious (without merit!) attack on Gorsuch has fallen on my deaf ears!
You could try and make a mountain out of a mole hill if you want, I guess, but the rewards will be nil.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Since it's illegal to drive without a license, is it okay to pull over any car since the act of driving is probable cause to believe the driver may be driving without a license? That's silly.

The appeal decision of this case specifically talks about vehicles and licensing as a comparison brought about by the defendant. His argument was bullshit as stated in the appeal and yours is also.

As the judges properly stated, the act of driving without a license is a small percentage of drivers and there is no way for the officers to know who does and doesn't have a license thus they cannot blindly stop drivers for suspicion of DWLS.

In this care the officers were responding to a report of armed individuals, they physically saw the gun protruding from his pants and ccw in that state is ILLEGAL by statute. The ccw becomes an affirmative defense to violation of the law as stated by the appeal judges. The officers were not guessing if the defendant was armed as they physically saw the gun when the guy bent over and his shirt rode up.

Also he was hardly "forcibly" disarmed, as the appeal verdict also clearly stated that officer simply removed the gun from his pants as the defendant opened the door to walk through and his shirt again rode up exposing the gun.

So yes under Terry the officer suspecting a crime (again ccw is illegal in that states) is allowed to pat down, disarm and detain an individual for as little time as necessary while assertaining if a crime has been committed.

Why the big issue with an officer simply disarming someone during a contact? Are we against keeping our police officers safe as possible? If your legally carrying you should have nothing to hide and will get your gun back and be on your way shortly.

I'm curious why you are so against this when in this case it seems the officers used discretion and followed the law.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

The appeal decision of this case specifically talks about vehicles and licensing as a comparison brought about by the defendant. His argument was bullshit as stated in the appeal and yours is also.

As the judges properly stated, the act of driving without a license is a small percentage of drivers and there is no way for the officers to know who does and doesn't have a license thus they cannot blindly stop drivers for suspicion of DWLS.

In this care the officers were responding to a report of armed individuals, they physically saw the gun protruding from his pants and ccw in that state is ILLEGAL by statute. The ccw becomes an affirmative defense to violation of the law as stated by the appeal judges. The officers were not guessing if the defendant was armed as they physically saw the gun when the guy bent over and his shirt rode up.

Also he was hardly "forcibly" disarmed, as the appeal verdict also clearly stated that officer simply removed the gun from his pants as the defendant opened the door to walk through and his shirt again rode up exposing the gun.

So yes under Terry the officer suspecting a crime (again ccw is illegal in that states) is allowed to pat down, disarm and detain an individual for as little time as necessary while assertaining if a crime has been committed.

Why the big issue with an officer simply disarming someone during a contact? Are we against keeping our police officers safe as possible? If your legally carrying you should have nothing to hide and will get your gun back and be on your way shortly.

I'm curious why you are so against this when in this case it seems the officers used discretion and followed the law.

This.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In the state of Oregon when an LE stops a motorist for whatever reason and notifies dispatch and gives the license number of the vehicle and drivers license number, dispatch will inform the LE if the the driver has a valid concealed weapons permit along with outstanding warrants etc..

Last edited by Roundup; 02/01/17.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Good reply, I appreciate it. So in this jurisdiction this is how the state allows LEO's to handle CCW. Okay, I don't understand anyone allowing that but I get it.

Now add national reciprocity into the mix. Now add bad actor states (NY/NJ/etc) allowing cops to engage and disarm any CCW's who have a gun print without first checking to see if they have a permit. Heck, Chicago PD is on record as saying they have no problem with cops shooting CC holders in their jurisdiction.

I can start throwing out examples of legal CCW's who have been shot down by cops during bad stops if you want a different example. Surrounded by multiple cops, some yelling "GET DOWN" and others yelling "DROP THE GUN" and then the guy gets killed when he tries to unholster and drop the gun. Guy dead because the cops couldn't simply ask first if he had a permit.

https://pjmedia.com/blog/gunned-down-in-vegas-what-really-happened-to-erik-scott/

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good reply, I appreciate it. So in this jurisdiction this is how the state allows LEO's to handle CCW. Okay, I don't understand anyone allowing that but I get it.

Now add national reciprocity into the mix. Now add bad actor states (NY/NJ/etc) allowing cops to engage and disarm any CCW's who have a gun print without first checking to see if they have a permit. Heck, Chicago PD is on record as saying they have no problem with cops shooting CC holders in their jurisdiction.

I can start throwing out examples of legal CCW's who have been shot down by cops during bad stops if you want a different example. Surrounded by multiple cops, some yelling "GET DOWN" and others yelling "DROP THE GUN" and then the guy gets killed when he tries to unholster and drop the gun. Guy dead because the cops couldn't simply ask first if he had a permit.

https://pjmedia.com/blog/gunned-down-in-vegas-what-really-happened-to-erik-scott/

That's why national reciprocity needs to be handle by a SCOTUS ruling and not Congress, and why Constitutional Carry is the best alternative.

However, even with ConCarry, in the situation of a perceived crime in progress and Terry Stop, officer safety WILL still permit the disarming of persons of interest until legality of possession and actions are ascertained.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calhoun, do we one better. Find me ANY state with a statute banning concealed carry that states ccw is an affirmative defense to same law that doesn't allow an Leo to disarm an individual.

Hell is there even any state that has a law specifically barring an LEO from disarming a citizen during a Terry stop or while conducting an investigation?

I'm doubtful such exists.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
However, even with ConCarry, in the situation of a perceived crime in progress and Terry Stop, officer safety WILL still permit the disarming of persons of interest until legality of possession and actions are ascertained.

Totally agree, but we need some case law saying that disarming citizens is done with limits... there were no limits discussed in this case, which was the whole point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Totally agree, but we need some case law saying that disarming citizens is done with limits... there were no limits discussed in this case, which was the whole point.

Agreed. However, in that case the carrier was carrying illegally on several levels. No reason to get into lawful carry as it did not apply.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Calhoun, do we one better. Find me ANY state with a statute banning concealed carry that states ccw is an affirmative defense to same law that doesn't allow an Leo to disarm an individual.

Hell is there even any state that has a law specifically barring an LEO from disarming a citizen during a Terry stop or while conducting an investigation?

I'm doubtful such exists.

Not the point of the original article. Disarming suspects or even a lawful CCW is obviously within the parameters of a stop. The issue was that this decision didn't address any limits on the how the disarming could be done - this was a very, very minor forcible disarming. About as minor as can be. But it set legal precedent that forcible disarming of a detainee who may be a legal CCW holder is okay - without limits on the force that's allowed even when no resistance is shown.

It's one case, and not even a good one. It's just something to be aware of that he didn't take the opportunity to limit force used during peaceful stops with CCW holders.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It occurs to me perhaps this cop was using judgment when he forcibly disarmed this guy. Was the clerk covered in prison tats? Did the cop have prior knowledge of this man as a felon?

Law enforcement is a job I could not do. I give a great deal of credit to those individual who can.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed. However, in that case the carrier was carrying illegally on several levels. No reason to get into lawful carry as it did not apply.
But the cops didn't know the carrier was illegal until after the forcible disarming.

As I've said... it is a bad case to talk about. But better to talk before a legal CCW is injured or shot than after.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
It occurs to me perhaps this cop was using judgment when he forcibly disarmed this guy. Was the clerk covered in prison tats? Did the cop have prior knowledge of this man as a felon?

Law enforcement is a job I could not do. I give a great deal of credit to those individual who can.

Prison tats were found after he was disarmed.

Heck, if I was a cop and had a reluctant armed guy in front of me I'd be tempted to snatch the gun from his waistband when he was faced away from me also. Would be fine with me if the decision had stated that level of force was acceptable.

The problem is the decision didn't say what level of force was acceptable. Snatching the gun is good. Is tackling the suspect? Is tasing? Do any cops still use billy clubs? grin Is drawing and covering him okay?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You've had a rough couple years.

Here's to hoping you get something right in 2017.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In case anybody is wondering who the authors of this article are:

Lawrence D. Pratt - Executive Director of Gun Owners of America
Willam J. Olson - Virginia lawyer (we won't hold that totally against him), of lawandfreedom.com

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.