-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Oklahoma (the most red state in the Union) our CCW law requires a concealed carry permit holder to notify any police officer with whom he comes in contact. I used to think this was not a good requirement, but if that same requirement had been in force in this situation, the felon who was illegally carrying would have been required to "tell" this officer he was carrying. Had this been Oklahoma, the officer could have legally asked him if he was a CCW permit holder.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Another 4th Amendment case with Gorsuch, but in this one he stood up against the state's right to encroach and wrote a dissent. I like what he has to say here.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
In Oklahoma (the most red state in the Union) our CCW law requires a concealed carry permit holder to notify any police officer with whom he comes in contact. I used to think this was not a good requirement, but if that same requirement had been in force in this situation, the felon who was illegally carrying would have been required to "tell" this officer he was carrying. Had this been Oklahoma, the officer could have legally asked him if he was a CCW permit holder.
Not in Iowa.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm not sure its a big deal. Like we keep saying here, when in contact with LEO just comply with them..if they feel better with you disarmed so be it, it will only be temporary.

I agree but I am waiting to see how it works in Washington state. They have passed a background check law that goes way beyond stupid. LEOs are exempt but citizens are not. So if you are stopped while carrying the officer is within his legal right to temporarily detain your firearm and the law protects him but at the end of the stop if he tries to give it back and you take it you have broken the background check law and may become a felon.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure its a big deal. Like we keep saying here, when in contact with LEO just comply with them..if they feel better with you disarmed so be it, it will only be temporary.

+1

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You know, in that case Scott, I'd almost be ok with them either having me assume the position or even putting me in cuffs rather than them taking my weapon into possession. Having said that, that law needs to go away.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4ager
Terry stop; been Constitutionally valid for a long damned time.

Are some folks so daft as to think that the cop should stop someone and NOT check for weapons in the course of the stop? Holy f'k...

Why, you are clearly a liberal anti-2A f'k. A citizen exercising his 2A rights should not be detained unless there are other reasons for the stop. All CC permits are anti-2A. A US citizen should not need a permit to exercise a constitutional right. Only a friggin' idiot Liberal would think a cop should stop anyone just for exercising his Constitutional rights. A weapon on a citizen should be no more cause for concern than a weapon on a cop, unless that citizen is in the act of committing a crime. Read up on the 2A you Liberal puke! I'll also throw in that you are anti-4A as well, you commie bastard.

Last edited by cooper57m; 02/01/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Terry stop; been Constitutionally valid for a long damned time.

Are some folks so daft as to think that the cop should stop someone and NOT check for weapons in the course of the stop? Holy f'k...

Why, you are clearly a liberal anti-2A f'k. A citizen exercising his 2A rights should not be detained unless there are other reasons for the stop. All CC permits are anti-2A. A US citizen should not need a permit to exercise a constitutional right. Only a friggin' idiot Liberal would think a cop should stop anyone just for exercising his Constitutional rights. A weapon on a citizen should be no more cause for concern than a weapon on a cop, unless that citizen is in the act of committing a crime. Read up on the 2A you Liberal puke!

You are truly a sad excuse for anything at all.

Read the rest of the thread, jackass.

Then again, please regale us AGAIN about why you support bans on firearms and magazine restrictions such as the NYSAFE Act.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never said I supported the SAFE Act you Liberal puke. In fact, I attended several rallys against it and advocated for people to disregard the "assault weapon" ban, which NYers have done on a large scale. I did state, a while back, that I am not a fan of military style rifles; my personal preference. I did, ask whether shooters would rather have magazine restrictions than to have a ban on the rifle platform itself. I get it, the answer was a resounding NO! My point back then was, there are a large # of shooters here in NY who would NOW welcome a magazine restriction IF it meant they could shoot their ARs and AKs again which are now squirreled away in attics and basements and can't be used for fear of arrest.

You see, the 2A does not address a firearm's capacity in any way. It does state that we have the right to bear (carry) arms. So, if you think that a cop should stop a guy because he is bearing arms and disarm him. YOU are the one who is anti-2A you disgusting liberal puke!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never said I supported the SAFE Act you Liberal puke. In fact, I attended several rallys against it and advocated for people to disregard the "assault weapon" ban, which NYers have on a large scale. I did state, a while back, that I am not a fan of military style rifles; my personal preference. I did, ask whether shooters would rather have magazine restrictions than to have a ban on the rifle platform itself. I get it, the answer was a resounding NO! My point back then was, there are a large # of shooters here in NY who would welcome a magazine restriction IF it meant they could shoot their ARs and AKs again which are now squirreled away in attics and basements and can't be used for fear of arrest.

You see, the 2A does not address a firearm's capacity in any way. It does state that we have the right to bear (carry) arms. So, if you think that a cop should stop a guy because he is bearing arms and disarm him. YOU are the one who is anti-2A you disgusting liberal puke!

You stated, quite clearly, that you were fine with a ban of those rifles.

You're about to be proven a liar - again.

Proof - Link

As to the 4A, try reading it. Here's a hint: "unreasonable searches and seizures". Start there, dumbass.

Last edited by 4ager; 02/01/17.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never said I supported the SAFE Act you Liberal puke. In fact, I attended several rallys against it and advocated for people to disregard the "assault weapon" ban, which NYers have done on a large scale. I did state, a while back, that I am not a fan of military style rifles; my personal preference. I did, ask whether shooters would rather have magazine restrictions than to have a ban on the rifle platform itself. I get it, the answer was a resounding NO! My point back then was, there are a large # of shooters here in NY who would NOW welcome a magazine restriction IF it meant they could shoot their ARs and AKs again which are now squirreled away in attics and basements and can't be used for fear of arrest.

On the 4A - you are essentially saying that it is unreasonable (key word in the 4A) for a LEO to stop a person who may be in the commission of a crime (in the case at hand a felon carrying illegally) to ascertain whether a crime is actually being committed.

Think about that - or get someone with a functional brain to do so for you and explain it to your retarded ass.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You show me you disgusting Liberal puke, where I EVER said I was for the banning of "assault-style" weapons. You see you read into my post what you wanted to see you disgusting illiterate liberal puke!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

On the 4A - you are essentially saying that it is unreasonable (key word in the 4A) for a LEO to stop a person who may be in the commission of a crime (in the case at hand a felon carrying illegally) to ascertain whether a crime is actually being committed.

Think about that - or get someone with a functional brain to do so for you and explain it to your retarded ass.

Explain to me midget brain, what suspicious act the clerk was involved in to give the cop reasonable suspicion that a crime was being committed? Did he know the clerk was a felon before the action was taken to detain and disarm him?? If not, then he would have done the same to ANY citizen. The fact that this time it was a felon, does not justify the action. You anti-Constitution Liberal Commie azzwipe!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You show me you disgusting Liberal puke, where I EVER said I was for the banning of "assault-style" weapons. You see you read into my post what you wanted to see you disgusting illiterate liberal puke!

Supporting a magazine ban -

I worked at a gun store in the late 70s early 80s when these type of rifles were beginning to get popular. We sold them. I remember the owner telling me that these rifles were going to pose a problem for us (gun owners). I never got into the whole tactical firearms thing. My interest has been in sporting rifles and double shotguns. I do have a couple revolvers. I always figured if the poo hit the fan and I ever needed a real assault weapon, I would know how to get one and I certainly didn't need one to protect my home. Whenever I'm at the range and hear someone rattle off a magazine as fast as they can pull the trigger, I just shake my head. I prefer precision shooting, deliberate and accurate. But to each his own, but I'm getting tired of defending why gun owners need high capacity semi-auto rifles. I would support a magazine capacity restriction rather than an outright ban on semi-auto rifles with some cosmetic design features deemed to be dangerous. I really do cringe when I see all the tactical gear and advertising. I much prefer firearms to be marketed for hunting and target shooting, you know innocent and wholesome activities. It's better for PR.

I do believe that at some point they will be banned across the country, much like they are in NY State. And probably just like in NY State, the compliance rate will be very low (approx. 5% in NY) making a whole lot of instant outlaws.

Worried about losing Remington 1100s because of assault weapons, a clear insinuation that one is more worthy than the other -

I know very well that the 2nd amendment isn't about hunting rifles. But I also understand that a citizenry that appears to be gearing up for a war is scary to the majority of the citizens and to the government. If needed, I could take any of my sporting firearms and defend myself or use them to get a real assault rifle. It's how the partisans in France ended up with German submachine guns. We are losing the PR war for the 2nd Amendment and I think there is some blame to be pointed in our direction. When asked by non-gun owners why we need high capacity "assault weapons" they don't want to hear that we are gearing up for what is in essence a civil war. That's not comforting. It's just a matter of time before all semi-autos are banned (as they were in Australia) and we won't have our Rem 1100 shotguns because some felt it necessary to gear up for war.

Again supporting a magazine ban, but certainly NOT saying you would be opposed to an "assault weapons ban" (leftist terminology, as there are no commonly available "assault weapons) -

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Clinton57m... You support a magazine restriction? Why?

I would support a magazine restriction over an outright ban on "assault weapons" (I use the term as it is used in the general media, knowing full well that they aren't) rather than a ban on certain particular rifle platforms or on some defined cosmetic features such as the pistol grip. The ability to shoot 20 or 30 people without reloading is part of what allows so many victims to these mass shooting. Smaller mag capacity would require a shooter bent on mayhem to have to stop and reload allowing more time for people to escape and having to carry a very large quantity of 5 shot mags would be a logistic problem. Again, if we ever needed large magazines, it would be fairly easy to get them. The thing that makes these 5.56 mm rifle seem so "powerful" and objectionable to many people is their high-capacity. If it's either give up on high-capacity mags or the rifles themselves - what would you choose?

More gems on bans -

Look, is it easier to get, hide, fabricate etc a high capacity magazine or an AR rifle if/when banned? I would rather the gov't ban the magazine then the rifle. I didn't say you had to comply. Let them have the mag ban and think they've accomplished something. You all keep them, hide them etc. Something is going to happen eventually and more and more politicians are thinking something needs to be done. If the mag are banned, you can still have your AR and practice with it. If the ARs are banned, you can keep them in your attic or bury them in the ground but if you go pop, pop, pop, etc etc. etc with a banned AR you will have someone calling the cops on you to take it away. You have to think about it rather then knee-jerk react. Eventually somethings going to give. What would you rather have made illegal, the AR-15 or a 30 round mag? If you let the gun ignorant politicians make that decision for you, you won't like it.

Oh, this is just CLASSIC leftist, liberalist puke; blaming the firearms for mass shootings -

I understand everything you are all saying and I wish things could stay the way they are, but we are eventually going to face some very stiff and restrictive gun control laws/regs to address the problem of these mass shootings and my guess is that it will happen sooner rather than later. We already have these laws in place here in NY where we can no longer purchase these rifles, existing ones were required to be registered and where the magazines were also banned. I would bet that the owner of an unregistered and now illegal AR would prefer to have just had the high capacity mags banned so that they could still use/shoot their ARs and AKs rather then hide them away for someday.

If you really want to keep your ARs and AKs, vote Libertarian, where protecting our 2nd Amendment rights is part of their party platform.

When THIS happens, you cannot ever claim any defense of the 2A; he was an Obama voter -

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Cooper57, you need to STFU. Let me explain what I mean by that, because it's a rude thing to say, and I actually don't mean STFU here. Say what you want here and have a debate, cool by me.

But listen, you have internally CRUMBLED on this issue; you are in full surrender mode. What the hell? Why?

So I am asking you to STFU on this issue in your general day to day life. If you cannot be fully supportive of the 2nd, then just be quiet on it. Your attitude on it is toxic and corrosive. Your approach leads to defeat.

And learn up on Heller and what it means. The game has changed, at least until the SCOTUS reversed itself... which, on such a major and recently-decided issue, would be unprecedented (I think).

Caring more about public opinion and PR than the actual 2A -

I wont call you names, but the points you brought up can't be discussed in an intelligent manner because they are the product of emotional over reaction. We do not need to convince non gun owners of anything. They will not change their unfounded opinions of us either way.If it looks to them as if we are gearing up for war, so be it, because I fear that we are....
The ' way to keep our firearms' is simple. Civil Disobedience and non-compliance with idiotic laws like mag restrictions. As George stated, we need to get the mindset of not budging another inch.
The underlying reasons for gun control by the liberals remain the same, to disarm and subjugate.

Most of you are reading more into my posts than what is there. I agree with civil disobedience and I would not recommend anyone turning in their high capacity mags if they were banned. My point is, if a high mag capacity ban means that you get to use your AR etc. with 5 round mags, isn't that better than an outright ban on the platforms themselves, that would make it very difficult for you to transport or use your AR types again? The NY ban on selling "assault rifles" and the requirement to register them, and the ban on high capacity mags have not been overturned by the courts. Expecting protection from the courts is a long-shot. We either try to appear reasonable and somewhat flexible or they will be made illegal outright. If that happens, by all means, keep them and don't turn them in, but that is defiance and not a victory. They are now calling these firearms "weapons of war" rather than "assault weapons." I'm telling you that they are winning the PR war and with every incident that happens, they win more support. It's just a matter of time before the call for a ban is so overwhelming that the politicians will fold on us. And they will!! We can either find a way for these rifles to appear less dangerous or they will be make them illegal. When that happens, I'm all for civil disobedience like we are doing here in NY. [/quote]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Explain to me midget brain, what suspicious act the clerk was involved in to give the cop reasonable suspicion that a crime was being committed? Did he know the clerk was a felon before the action was taken to detain and disarm him?? If not, then he would have done the same to ANY citizen. The fact that this time it was a felon, does not justify the action. You anti-Constitution Liberal Commie azzwipe!

The clerk was carrying concealed, which in that state is a FELONY without a permit. I.e., probable cause of a crime in progress. The cop saw the clerk carrying a concealed pistol - there's the probable cause of a crime in progress. The cop simply snatched the pistol from his belt (Mexican carry), and then checked to see whether the felon in question had a permit (he did not). The result was a valid arrest.

If you could 1) read, and 2) comprehend what you read, you'd get that.

As to whether it could be done to any citizen, YES, it could. In the case of a LAW-ABIDING citizen with a permit, the LEO would have seen a valid permit and returned the handgun (and probably made a suggestion about a better holster and concealment).

There's that whole "unreasonable search and seizure" part of the Fourth Amendment that is just completely beyond your comprehension again.

You do realize that you are being made to be an even bigger fool the more you dig this hole than you were already known to be before this thread, right? At this point, there is no need to call you stupid; you're proving it beyond any shadow of a doubt with every post.

Last edited by 4ager; 02/01/17.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for re-posting my posts. They clearly show and state, that I am NOT in favor of a ban on "assault weapons" (in quotes because I do understand that they are not truly assault weapons but mere semi-auto look alikes).

"I agree with civil disobedience and I would not recommend anyone turning in their high capacity mags if they were banned. My point is, if a high mag capacity ban means that you get to use your AR etc. with 5 round mags, [b]isn't that better than an outright ban on the platforms themselves, [/b]that would make it very difficult for you to transport or use your AR types again?"

Clearly, I never said I was in favor of an "assault weapons" ban. In fact I said the opposite. I was trying to figure out a way to keep the AR and AK semi-auto platforms in the hands of shooters when it looked like the winds were not blowing in our favor. Now, thankfully, (for at least the next 4 years) the winds are in our favor.

You may not agree with my favoring a mag capacity restriction IF it was to mean that you get to keep your ARs and AKs and similar rifles. But running around saying I am an anti-2A Liberal is as much a falsehood as me saying you are one too because I disagree with your take on the situation outlined in this thread. Understand???

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for re-posting my posts. They clearly show and state, that I am NOT in favor of a ban on "assault weapons" (in quotes because I do understand that they are not truly assault weapons but mere semi-auto look alikes).

"I agree with civil disobedience and I would not recommend anyone turning in their high capacity mags if they were banned. My point is, if a high mag capacity ban means that you get to use your AR etc. with 5 round mags, [b]isn't that better than an outright ban on the platforms themselves, [/b]that would make it very difficult for you to transport or use your AR types again?"

Clearly, I never said I was in favor of an "assault weapons" ban. In fact I said the opposite. I was trying to figure out a way to keep the AR and AK semi-auto platforms in the hands of shooters when it looked like the winds were not blowing in our favor. Now, thankfully, (for at least the next 4 years) the winds are in our favor.

You may not agree with my favoring a mag capacity restriction IF it was to mean that you get to keep your ARs and AKs and similar rifles. But running around saying I am an anti-2A Liberal is as much a falsehood as me saying you are one too because I disagree with your take on the situation outlined in this thread. Understand???

Oh, your position on the 2A is quite clearly understood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Maybe you missed that "forcibly disarmed" part in the story above?

That means any cop has the right to forcibly disarm any citizen before they even ask if you have a license. You good with that?

I did miss that part.....sorry.

Ive had three stops while carrying, in each case I handed over my CWP along with my drivers license, and luckily got three courteous and clear thinking officers who considered it a non-issue...once they knew.

Again strict compliance may avoid the "forcibly" part for you.

Would you always hand over your CWP with your license or did the context of those three stops impress you to do that?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"The clerk was carrying concealed, which in that state is a FELONY without a permit. I.e., probable cause of a crime in progress. The cop saw the clerk carrying a concealed pistol - there's the probable cause of a crime in progress. The cop simply snatched the pistol from his belt (Mexican carry), and then checked to see whether the felon in question had a permit (he did not). The result was a valid arrest."

Cart/Horse. IMO, there was no probable cause WHEN he took the action of disarming the clerk. It would have been reasonable for the cop to ask to see the clerk's permit upon seeing that he was carrying concealed (as much as I see needing permits to carry concealed as anti-2A, you shouldn't need a permit by the Gov't to engage in a guaranteed right). WHEN the clerk could not produce the permit, THEN and only THEN does he have reasonable suspicion that a CRIME has been committed. At that point the firearm should be seized and the clerk detained and arrested. Just the mere fact that he was carrying a pistol is NOT REASONABLE suspicion of a crime, unless you are saying that it is REASONABLE for a cop to think all people who carry guns are criminals. IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING??

My reading comprehension is just fine thanks and I dare say a damned side better than yours.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The bigger question is why was a convicted felon out of prison in the first place?

If the individual has been adjudicated incompetent/unsafe to have rights reinstated ie. bear arms as enumerated by the constitution, then they should not be allowed into the general population.

If the individual has been rehabilitated and adjudicated to be safe in society then give his rights back and leave him and the rest of us alone, regardless of whether his/our firearm is concealed or not.

Knowingly or otherwise defending laws that violate our constitutional rights do not help the cause.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/01/17.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 48 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,923
Posts18,518,859
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.