Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
I rented one two years ago for a trip and was very surprised by how quiet it was and how well it handled. It also had good power and great milage. The Nissan I got stuck with last summer couldn't hold a candle to the Hyundai.. YMMV
A few years ago, the family got together in San Diego for a wedding. We got a bulk rate on rental cars and I got a Nissan Altima. What a piece of junk. When everyone went anywhere, I always got left behind. They'd take off and when I tried to accelerate, it would drop 2 gears, the engine would rev, and we'd go nowhere. Acceleration was crap.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I buy American

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kia is building cars in Georgia as well as Mexico....

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back in the 80’s a friend of ours had a Hyundai and what a POS that car was. Lots of plastic parts in the engine compartment that cracked or fell apart when you touched it. The interior was a sun damaged mess.

But – they’ve come a long, long way since then. I bought a used 2001 Elantra for my kids and it just runs and runs and runs. Other than the usual filters, brakes and hoses the only thing it’s needed since I’ve owned it is struts, a new valve cover gasket and a set of plugs/wires. Now that my kids are at college I use it to commute to work – 27-28 MPG versus 16 in my Ram 1500.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've owned two, still have a '14 Santa Fe. Dad owns a 2012 Sonata, sister owns a 2010 or so Elantra. All have been great vehicles.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by driggy
If you are considering Hyundai, also look at Kia. Like comparing Chevy to Pontiac. Basically same vehicle, just minor option differences. Elantra is same as Forte, Sonata same as Optima. Daughter got a Kia Rio in 2012. no issues so far.

Same company.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Why OrangeOkie?

Cars are more than just transportation to me. I have a mental block against anything except German and Italian cars. wink

And French cars, but most forget the French even build cars at all (for good reason).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I drive a 96 Sonata that I bought used in 2001 for $3200. It had 91K on it when I bought it and just rolled over on 266K. I replaced the engine two years ago because an oil seal behind the timing belt cover went out and soaked the timing belt. I bought a replacement engine that had been on the shelf for 13 years for $400. The timing belt is the thing to watch for in the older models. If not changed at the proper interval, the belt can break and warp the valves. It gets 30 mpg on average including up and down the plateau.

My wife drives a 2011 Sonata that has 118K on it and it has been trouble free. It now comes with a timing chain. We get well over 30 mpg on interstate drives and upper 20s with er driving up and down the plateau to work daily. We are looking at retiring my Sonata with a 2017 Elantra sometime this year. They can be had new for $16K-$18K with a good option package.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A 2007ish Sonata can be had with ~60K miles for about $6000 in great shape. I had one, and gave it to a relative who was in desperate need. Fantastic vehicle. Get the 4 cylinder - plenty of balls and mind blowing gas mileage considering the size and comfort. If I were looking for another car, I'd buy a Hyundai without hesitation.
When my current vehicle dies, I'll be buying a 4 cylinder Tucson as a daily driver.

- Rogue
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hyundai has a massive assembly plant just outside Montgomery, Alabama. Kia, home corp of Hyundai, has a massive assembly plant just up I85 from there in Georgia. Friends of mine put about 250k on a Hyundai Azera which made me take a look when I needed a business van. Ended up buying that Hyundai van the last year they were produced before Kia got that line dedicated. One problem while it was very new, throttle position sensor, fixed rapidly with a rental provide for my use. Wife bought an Elantra GT last year and no issues at all with it. Whatever we need in the future that Kia/Hyundai provides will get a look.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
I buy American

Nash/Rambler +1

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager

And French cars, but most forget the French even build cars at all (for good reason).

The French copy no one, and NOBODY copies the French! laugh

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I so want a Peugot! they have the coolest emblem! Citroen not so much. [Linked Image]

Stupidity is expensive
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my wife a tucson in 2011 brand new. Has 102,000 miles.

the good: reliable, drives nice, able power.
the bad: rubbish sheet metal, Brakes are too small for size of vehicle. Have replaced brakes 2 times and it needs new ones again. This with all highway miles.

Last edited by TBS; 02/01/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
I buy American

I guess that means no vehicles made after the 70s?

Not sure which I like more, my Mexican Chevy or my American Toyota.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 3 family members that own Hyundai cars. 2 of them have over 150K miles with no unusual repair expenses. The 3rd one is fairly new but my niece has no complaints.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
I rented one two years ago for a trip and was very surprised by how quiet it was and how well it handled. It also had good power and great milage. The Nissan I got stuck with last summer couldn't hold a candle to the Hyundai.. YMMV
A few years ago, the family got together in San Diego for a wedding. We got a bulk rate on rental cars and I got a Nissan Altima. What a piece of junk. When everyone went anywhere, I always got left behind. They'd take off and when I tried to accelerate, it would drop 2 gears, the engine would rev, and we'd go nowhere. Acceleration was crap.

Damn Rock Chuck! That's exactly what they gave me! I had the same results too when I tried to pass or when the light changed.. Biggest piece of junk I'll never drive again!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Not Hyundai, but I had a Kia Spectra that the Family Drove for 230000 miles until my son totaled it. Was a excelent car and my son and a passenger both walked away from a brutal wreck without a scratch. I would buy Korea in a heartbeat.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think that's the same type of POS I had in Hawai'i in December. I know it was a Nissan. Wouldn't climb a hill to save it's a$$.

Stupidity is expensive
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Long story short, after owning two Honda Accords, I bought a Hyundai Sonata. The Accords were fine cars but I prefer the Sonata. It rides better, is quieter and most importantly, the little lady likes it better. The dealership seemed genuinely interested in having me for a customer unlike the Honda dealership. Only 20,000 miles but not one problem. Would buy another. Only downsides, mileage isn't quite as good and I don't think resale is as good. I got a great deal up front so I think I made up for that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 44 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.