Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
G23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Anyone use Life's Abundance dog food? Just wondering how it compares with the other grain-free varieties.

G23

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Had Birddogs live 15 years eating Old Roy from Walmart.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by G23
Anyone use Life's Abundance dog food? Just wondering how it compares with the other grain-free varieties.

G23

Every dog will react differently to what is fed them. I have 3 dogs , 2 Parson Russell terriers and a Bull Mastiff. The male parson has had every brand of grain free in his bowl at one time or another and yet had to have allergy shots etc ad nauseam almost his entire life. The only food that he can tolerate for any period of time is Fromme dog food. I have all three on Fromme because I can get it at a reasonable price from a local store. They are doing very well on it .

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Research a raw diet for dogs. Many over complicate it. It's quite simple and not particularly expensive. My dog shed like crazy till I switched her from a high grade grain free kibble to an all raw meat, bone, and organ, diet. Instantly the shedding stopped and hasn't returned.

This is what 40,000,000 years of evolution has designed dogs to eat.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hanco

Haha! Thats right.

Either that or the 50 pound bags that grandpa had my load at the feed store. GTA brand.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have friends that have service dogs. They feed them raw chicken.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Oh, I'm going to step in it now! Grain-free is a fad. There, I said it for all to hear.

Dogs can successfully consume pretty much anything. Why? Because they are scavengers, not obligate carnivores. Wild canines generally eviscerate their prey and eat the guts first which, incedentally, are generally full of vegetable matter.

Why do some dogs shed or have other problems while consuming brands x,y,z dog food? They may have been fed poor quality dog food in the past or they may have food allergies. Interestingly, the most common food allergy in dogs is beef! I think shelling out extra for dog food simply because its defies logic.

Bottom line, if you like your current dog food, you should keep your dog food.

Now, because I am a masochist I will rail against raw diets. I really discourage feeding of raw diets, especially poultry, because food borne pathogens are so common. Not only do you expose your pet to things like E. coli and Campylobacter you are also contaminating the food prep area as well. I especially discourage raw diets in homes with little children or the elderly.

Oh yeah, I'm a veterinarian, not some crank with a keyboard.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Doc_Paul
Oh, I'm going to step in it now! Grain-free is a fad. There, I said it for all to hear.

Dogs can successfully consume pretty much anything. Why? Because they are scavengers, not obligate carnivores. Wild canines generally eviscerate their prey and eat the guts first which, incedentally, are generally full of vegetable matter.

Why do some dogs shed or have other problems while consuming brands x,y,z dog food? They may have been fed poor quality dog food in the past or they may have food allergies. Interestingly, the most common food allergy in dogs is beef! I think shelling out extra for dog food simply because its defies logic.

Now, because I am a masochist I will rail against raw diets. I really discourage feeding of raw diets, especially poultry, because food borne pathogens are so common. Not only do you expose your pet to things like E. coli and Campylobacter you are also contaminating the food prep area as well. I especially discourage raw diets in homes with little children or the elderly.

My 2 Parson terriers get supplemental meals from the backyard based on number of times I have found them playing with dead mice and piles of bird feathers everywhere I look smile That said one has a severe food allergy which cleared up with Fromme. My brother has had similiar results with his 2 australian shepherds and that food.

The previous owner of my Bull Mastiff fed it raw chicken. It would be one thing if I knew where the chicken came from but I would not trust any mass butchered chicken not to contain Salmonella or some other crud.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
We have friends that have service dogs. They feed them raw chicken.
That's the staple I feed both my dogs, bones and all. They crunch them up like pretzels. Amazing how cheaply you can buy chicken in bulk.

PS Never, but never, feed a dog cooked chicken bones, or any sort of cooked bones. They splinter sharp and hard, and can do a job on the digestive tract. Raw bones are no problems. Like I said, 40,000,000 years of evolution made their mouths and digestive tracts into raw bone processing machines. Their stomachs are five times as acidic as our own, and turn raw bones into soft rubber.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Veterinarians are divided on the raw diet controversy. Stating you're one means little, therefore, when it comes to this topic. Personal experience with a raw diet means more.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I would not trust any mass butchered chicken not to contain Salmonella or some other crud.
Dogs aren't particularly prone to contracting a Salmonella infection due to their short digestive tracts. Additionally, their stomach juices are five times as acidic as our own, which kills it off pretty effectively. Remember, a big part of a wild canid's diet is carrion, i.e., rotting flesh and bone from previous kills. 40,000,000 years of evolution has equipped them to deal with it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I will also add that most of what vets know about canine diet is taught them by the kibble manufacturing industry, which (if you will pardon the pun) has a definite dog in the fight over proper canine diet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a lot of a dog's longevity is genetics, but I do like to feed my animals something with less crap in it. I assume the raw food diets are probably best for their health but I just don't want to deal with the preparation and clean up and potential for germs. I like the convenience of bagged food. For those with a Costco nearby, they seem to have some healthier, yet still convenient options now. My dog passed years ago so I don't have experience with their food but this one seems decent based on the ingredients.

Costco Nature's Domain Dog Food

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 02/06/17.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Vets are trained to perform surgery, diagnose and treat disease, and prescribe drugs. They typically receive little meaningful training in animal nutrition in vet school because there are no degree or certificate programs related to the specific field of canine nutrition. And what they do learn is often from sales reps who work for the multinationals that own the pet food companies. Despite these facts, vets are considered by many to be authorities on what to feed our pets.

What this means for us as pet owners is that asking the typical vet for advice on what to feed your dog or cat is about as helpful, say, as asking your dentist why your leg hurts or your shoulder is sore." Dori's Reply

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
not some crank with a keyboard.

Dissapointing Paul........ grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dog has Science Diet free choice but eats only about 80lbs per year because she mostly eats a share of my meals with a few adjustments. Strangely she likes most Italian dishes and chili while hamburgers and eggs are at the bottom of her list.

She has also killed and eaten many small rodents including squirrel and rabbits. For three years in a row she caught and ate fawns but quit hunting them a couple years ago.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Wasn't that the greeter that went missing from your local a while back?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by add

Wasn't that the greeter that went missing from your local a while back?
Poor old Roy. LOL. If it was him, the dog that ate him got much better nutrition than what's contained in commercial dog food.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Twenty seven years of private practice and I've seen plenty of dogs that got sick from eating raw poultry, especially puppies. The problem with poultry is the stuff raised in large confinement barns (i.e. Tyson) is it carries a lot more coliform bacteria on the carcass. Feed at your own risk.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Twenty seven years of private practice and I've seen plenty of dogs that got sick from eating raw poultry, especially puppies. The problem with poultry is the stuff raised in large confinement barns (i.e. Tyson) is it carries a lot more coliform bacteria on the carcass. Feed at your own risk.
Amazing, then, that dogs fed such a diet do so well in terms of general health.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, ar33c9, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,886
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.