Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Invented the Lee Auto Prime. Seems as if every reloading bench I have ever seen has at least a couple of these.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are ubiquitous.

I recently learned they have a bench mounted unit and I wanted to try it, but the reviews are highly unfavorable. RCBS has a bench mounted unit, but it's 3 times more money than the Lee. My lee works too well for me to spend that kind of money.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I like the Lee but broke something like 3 handles. They made good each time, but that particular product didn't work out for me. Love their dies and simple presses.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Try the Lyman hand priming tool..Similar to the Lee, but a LOT more durable and uses your regular shell holders. Priced about $48 IIRC..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
They are ubiquitous.

I recently learned they have a bench mounted unit and I wanted to try it, but the reviews are highly unfavorable. RCBS has a bench mounted unit, but it's 3 times more money than the Lee. My lee works too well for me to spend that kind of money.

I have user many hand tools over the years and they all have had their problems. I now an using the RCBS bench tool that used standard shell holders. I wish I had switched years ago. As the years have gone by arthritis has come calling. The RCBS has solved that problem for me as far as priming goes and I really like the feel of seating it gives me. Worth every penny and more.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There was a company that was making them out of billets that used the Lee tray, but they were crazy expensive.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I, too broke several handles until I discovered the secret;

The metal of the handle and the plunger lever tend to gall really badly and stick, requiring more force to seat a primer.

Lube the contact points between the handle and plunger lever with a grease. Once I did that, I haven't broken a handle in over 20 years.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

The metal of the handle and the plunger lever tend to gall really badly and stick, requiring more force to seat a primer.

Lube the contact points between the handle and plunger lever with a grease. Once I did that, I haven't broken a handle in over 20 years.

Ed
This, I have several RCBS tools that are ok, hornady's wore out quickly and wont seat all the way. Have lee's setting there in several headsizes ready to go

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
Invented the Lee Auto Prime. Seems as if every reloading bench I have ever seen has at least a couple of these.

I gave up on them as pot metal junk when we started shooting competition. It was so easy to bend the levers priming thousands of rounds of 223, they'd send multiple parts of them that would bend and break.

But I finally moved to RCBS and other hand priming tools and have not broken a thing on the others.

Sure isn't a bad deal for the guy that loads up a few boxes though, but even in that deal, I can prime 60 cases just fine with the press if need be.

The real cats azz was the RCBS hadn prime that used primers on strips... man you could really get after it with that setup.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Ed

I did that... still bent handles... if primer pockets are snug, you eventually bend em. First time I bent/broke I started looking and lubed.. it made a bit of difference but not enough in the end.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rost495

Ed

I did that... still bent handles... if primer pockets are snug, you eventually bend em. First time I bent/broke I started looking and lubed.. it made a bit of difference but not enough in the end.

My experience is like Jeff's. The Lee's worked okay, but were just not durable enough. Maybe it's just me, but after having a couple of Lee Auto Primes go belly up I got an RCBS about twenty-some years ago and have had no issues since.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I broke one lever on the Lee. When I called for a replacement, I was told to lube the contact areas. Well, I ordered two levers just in case, but after 20 years the second is still in the spare parts bin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I broke one lever on the Lee. When I called for a replacement, I was told to lube the contact areas. Well, I ordered two levers just in case, but after 20 years the second is still in the spare parts bin.

One of Murphy's Laws "You don't break things you have spares for"

at least not near as often....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
LOL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I only buy RCBS reloading equipment. The stuff is a little more expensive but I haven't had a problem with anything.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I wish I had:

Invented Zip Cable Ties.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of the Lee tools years ago, broke the handle off within about 20 minutes, threw it away.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the Lee Auto Prime that is mounted on a press and would not trade it for any other.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
I wish I had:

Invented Zip Cable Ties.

This I agree on. Or Velcro

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Leonten
I only buy RCBS reloading equipment. The stuff is a little more expensive but I haven't had a problem with anything.
Me too - only exception is the Dillon 550 press, used for handgun cases only..

Everything else is RCBS. And the hand-priming tool from them has worked flawlessly for probably 2 decades or more..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.