Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

An elderly friend, WW2 vet, now deceased, had no complaints whatsoever that I ever heard him say about the care and services he received through VA.

He had already had one leg amputated below the knee due to poor circulation and diabetes and fitted with a prosthesis some years earlier. He was scheduled to have the same procedure done to his remaining leg when he suddenly passed on.

He said his prosthesis was regularly checked and adjusted as needed as well as replaced when necessary. He told me his first amputation was done in a local civilian hospital by civilian medical professionals and VA picked up the tab and his next amputation would be too.

Also, I have a very close relative who works for VA as a medical professional. It was mentioned in passing a while back by them that VA does have their share of system abusers of one form or another.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The why can't we all get along mentality has fueled the extreme ambivalence that has allowed the Democrats and Republicans to become the parties of status quo.

Quite frankly we are well past the point of avoiding name calling.

And all public employees, and their fake unions, who speak here in defense of public employees and their fake unions, should issue a statement right up front that they are such.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Harry M
Logic takes a back seat in this case. The long standing FACTS have been known for some time. The VA has a disgraceful record of how it has treated our Vets.

Not only is your comment "they serve a vital role in our national defense" laughable it borders on bizarre.

Thanks for taking my comment out of context Harry. It helps explain why so many on here laugh at you. I'll try again.

Hundreds of facilities and thousands of employees across this country help serve active personnel who get sick or hurt protecting us. Is this not a vital role in the defense of this country? They also serve those who were lucky enough to make it home and need care.

The historical record of the VA is not good, but the idea of closing up shop completely is what is laughable. I stand behind our CIC. He has promised to help our Vets and stream-line the choke-holds on the VA system. I am fully confident he will do just that.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Hmmmm. I'm a vet. My wifes a vet. My son is a Marine. I'm also a VA employee. I, as well as my peers, am paid far less than I would be in the private sector. We work hard and do as a good a job as anywhere. Sadly, much of our work is taken up with drunks and addicts. Many never even made it out of basic training. Most never deployed anywhere, much less served in combat. Much of our resources are spent on people who just abuse the system, just like Medicaid patients.

Yeah, you can find examples of bad employees anywhere. Plenty of sh*tbirds on active duty too. Does that make all the active duty bad? You can paint the VA with a broad brush, but for those who actually know something about it, you couldn't be more wrong.

You want to know what's going on at your VA? Go volunteer there. See for yourself. Maybe even go work there. Make things better instead of just bitching about it. It's not going to fix itself.

My wife is a CNA at our local VA hospital. Her experience mirrors yours. Lots of fat lazy fűucks who blame their medical issues on their military service, some didn't make it through basic training.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Many never even made it out of basic training."

And they're Veterans????

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
As long as I have health insurance thru my employer, I won't go to the VA. Too many others who really NEED it don't need me getting in the way for an appt. or using up funds for guys who lost limbs or other issues.

I put in four years, but have no issues with this. I have good insurance with my employer.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All of you are talking about VA as if the hospital side VHA is the only part of VA. You might be interested to know that the organization, public or private who has had the highest scores six times running in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI)is the National Cemetery Administration, one of the three administrations (VHA, VBA & NCA) that make up VA, with a score of 96%

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't hate my job at all. I just don't like people who bitch about something they know nothing about. I don't like people who would rather bitch than actually go do something about it. I don't like people who are too lazy to do what they say someone else should do.

Before I worked here I worked at Landstuhl. I'm sure you'll have to google that too. I've spent over 20 years taking care of the nation's finest. Unfortunately, lots of sh*tbirds too. If you were on active duty you know how many of those people there are. If you were and don't know what I'm talking about, you are probably one of them. Yes, it does piss me off to see so many resources spent on them instead of the ones who deserve it. People who saw combat can't get an appointment and yet people who never even made it out of basic collect thousands every month, spend it on booze and drugs, and use the VA to avoid incarceration over and over.

But when it comes down to it, I'm here 12 hours a day providing care to the best and worst of society in a manner that is professional regardless of who I'm serving. What are you doing besides bitching?

You want to bitch because I got a $400 bonus for the year. That's fine. VA employees are still paid less than their private counterparts, even with that $400 bonus. Believe me, it's not all strippers and blow. As far as my worth? Who knows. As far as what I would make elsewhere? Yeah, I could make a lot more. I honestly don't care. I'm very comfortable financially and am not chasing dollars. It just rubs me the wrong way when you want to say VA employees are raking in the dough when we are actually making less than the market average. Again, if you actually worked at a VA you might know more than just what you google. Again, your local VA needs you. What's stopping you?

As far as the union, couldn't tell you one thing or another about them. Most of my peers couldn't either. All I know is there is one. I have no idea what they do or when they do it. No one from the union has ever talked to me and I've never talked to them.

Being a vet I saw first hand the number of lazy people who gravitate to the military. Getting through basic training is a joke now and if you dont want to run do pt it is easy to get a waiver. Can show up for duty and find a place to sleep. This occurs in the admin and combat support units quite often.Amazing the number who abuse the system and are on full disability for made up ailments.

those that served in the military know exactly where you are coming from

thanks for your work

Last edited by ribka; 02/11/17.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by victoro
"Many never even made it out of basic training."

And they're Veterans????

Medical discharged from basic.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hmmmm. Yeah, you can find examples of bad employees anywhere. Plenty of sh*tbirds on active duty too. Does that make all the active duty bad? You can paint the VA with a broad brush, but for those who actually know something about it, you couldn't be more wrong.

I'm not sure why this article offends you. It, nor everyone reading it, assumes that all VA employees are wasters. It merely highlights the need to address a problem.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There are lots of sheitbirds milking the system, just like SSID. I have no more love for them than I do those milking SSID.

I've never used the VA and I doubt I ever will as I don't need to use the VA.

In my mind, battle/training exercise type stuff takes front row.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lets face it, many vets are either alcoholics, drug addicts, or morbidly obese. Went to a local VA meeting and this was obvious. The Healthcare costs for these folks must be staggering.

I'm all for taking care of wounded vets, legit 20 year retired vets, and perhaps folks who take care of themselves. But the folks who let themselves go to crap, I feel like we are enabling them by giving them the VA healthcare. Not to mention the tax dollars that support them.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My son goes to see VA doctors, he has no complaints.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ldoret
All of you are talking about VA as if the hospital side VHA is the only part of VA. You might be interested to know that the organization, public or private who has had the highest scores six times running in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI)is the National Cemetery Administration, one of the three administrations (VHA, VBA & NCA) that make up VA, with a score of 96%

That is probably because the ones USING the NCA are in no position to complain...............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure why public employees need a union. Further, Union business should be done on the union's dime.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Your right they're not, but they're not the ones answering the survey either

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,629
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.