Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have heard this gun is actually S.S. that is coated black. Does anyone know whether it's true?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
True. It's a finnlight coated black.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Well Nick,
How do you KNOW that for sure?

The bolt is definitely stainless as well as the magazine.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The guys at Eurooptic told me that the Black Synthetic models were coated stainless, fwiw.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Mine seems more like the SS went thru the nitride process opposed to a coating.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
That is who I purchased it from.

Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have one. It's blue and it's chromoly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys can email Sako if it's not listed in specs on website.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sigguy
The guys at Eurooptic told me that the Black Synthetic models were coated stainless, fwiw.

I saw that on their website just now. I'm impressed with the gun. I once had an 85 Finnlight 308 but could never warm up to the 20" barrel. Couldn't figure the logic behind that. I thought they should offer this in at least a 22" barrel. Now they have!

Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've had bad luck with mine. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I would recommend if you go Sako, get a wood stock, non fluted barrel or plan on restocking. I'm awaiting a McMillan any day now.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by sjspin
I've had bad luck with mine. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I would recommend if you go Sako, get a wood stock, non fluted barrel or plan on restocking. I'm awaiting a McMillan any day now.

Weird, Im on my 4th Finnlight with no issues.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I've had bad luck with mine.

What kind of bad luck?

Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Accuracy issues. After sending it to Beretta, working on the bedding, and trying various methods of ascertaining a read on the issues, I'm fairly certain I have a bad barrel that has stress relief issues. I have spoken with two gunsmiths and have read the musings of others. I'm very happy for those who have a great shooting finnlight/synthetic. It hasn't been my experience.

There are known issues. The bedding system can have issues. My stock is too flexible(I have two Tikka's as well and the stock is very different). The way they flute the barrels can cause stress relief issues that affect accuracy. The way it's factory bedded can have issues, i.e., bedding an l shaped aluminum lug into a synthetic stock and having an odd shaped boss fit the lug. It's overly complicated, but cheaper than other systems.

You will see a ton of positive on these rifles. I know I did when I was researching what to buy for a lightweight mountain rifle. You will also find lots of people with issues. I chose to ignore the issues and play the odds. I lost.

Beretta tested the rifle and got it to shoot. However, they were able to accomplish this over a 30 minute period. That isn't realistic to me for a hunting rifle. I could bore you with all the ways I tried firing it to get it to shoot. I'm getting solid 1.5-2" groups.

On the pro side, the feeding is superb, the trigger excellent, and the bolt cycles very smoothly. That's why I'm about to dump a bunch of money into a rebarrel and replacement stock. Just realize there are short comings to this system and you may have to address them.

In regard to the stainless/coating question, does it make any sense that they would sell a finnlight with some type of protective coating several hundred cheaper price than a finnlight?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

In regard to the stainless/coating question, does it make any sense that they would sell a finnlight with some type of protective coating several hundred cheaper price than a finnlight?

Thats why I was wondering if perhaps the under metal is not stainless? The reason Im thinking its not actually stainless is they only offer in limited calibers. If it was really jsut a coated stainless finnlight why not have the same caliber selection? You'll notice Sako doesnt call it a Finnlight black, just Sako Black

When you say it took them 30 minutes to shoot under MOA, did they say what they did or what ammo was used. I was toiyng with the idea of sending mine to ROBAR for Rogaurd on one and NP3 on the other but then saw the black and contemplated getting an 06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako actually tests the gun, complete, in the stock, before it gets shipped. It goes through a proofing station where it is inspected and shot five times. Then it goes to an accuracy station, where they use two marksman, who have freshly rotated out of their military service, to independently shoot, confirm, and verify that the gun shoots sub-moa 5-shot groups at 100meters. Then, it goes to the final inspector's station, who inspects everything for approval, before it is boxed up for shipment.

So not to discount your issues, as something could have happened in transit, but nothing in the factory Sako stock, is inherently bad for accuracy. Same applies to the barrels, as they do not leave, unless they are independently proven to shoot. It is rather impressive the extra steps they take in the assembly and testing, before it goes out the door.

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/12/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I certainly could be wrong on the metallurgy, but when I ordered mine from Europtic last year they told me chromoly.

When Beretta did the testing, they sent a computer printout with the timing of shoots and a computer generated target to demonstrate group size. The first three shots were spaced out about 8-10 minutes. They then waited about 20 to fire the fourth. The fifth shot was taken 10 minutes later. They used Federal hi shock 130 gr. soft points if memory serves. They shoot it from a lead sled I believe.

When I spoke with the gunsmith, he mentioned they have a rack of factory ammo and just grab one for the test.

The issue with mine is it doesn't shoot anything consistently. I have about 350 rounds through it with both factory and various hand loads. I've found I can get very accurate groups if I run it really hot and dirty. Sometimes I have great 3 shot groups and then it goes to hell. Sometimes I only get two. However, the point of impact varies on the fliers. I have even let the barrel cool to ambient temp after every shot in a group. No dice. Hence, my belief it's a barrel issue.

If you want to buy one, or yours is working for you, I'm honestly happy for you. I wish I could say the same thing. I was just trying to do a solid for someone looking to purchase as a fair heads-up. I realize all makes have lemons. Based on conversations with gunsmiths who have had to deal with this, I think these are design issues related to this model and the finnlight.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Gary,
That may be the case. However, others would dispute the end results. I realize you are a big fan of the rifle. In fact, your input on here over the years was a big factor in my deciding to purchase one. I'm not disputing your rifles shoot well.

Again, at this point I'm going to do what it takes to make it a shooter. However, counter evidence is out there if someone were to do a google search and approach things with an open mind.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine, the only difference is the receiver and barrel are chrome moly, but all internals are the same stainless.

Have experienced no issues with rust, as of yet, on the chrome moly parts. Maybe if kept in a salt water boat, would consider a different barrier finish. Otherwise, not difficult to maintain.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just trying to understand, and trying to be helpful.

Still do not quite follow. Are you saying, Sako says the rifle shoots, and Beretta confirmed it shoots, but you dispute their reported findings, as being untruthful?

Did the two gunsmiths test the rifle for accuracy, and independently duplicate your results??

Or is it just you???

Last edited by GaryVA; 02/12/17.

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Correct. I've shot the same brand of ammo they used in testing as well. It's inconsistent.

As a comparison, I have several other rifles, including Tikka's, that are all consistent shooters with no issues. I've even tried various hold techniques to try and eliminate my input. It's the rifle.

I bought the Sako as an upgrade from a Tikka. There are several things about the 85 that I find outstanding. However, it doesn't accomplish a major function I'm looking for in a hunting tool. Namely, maintaining a consistent point of impact for multiple shots, around MOA in size. However, it does feed and eject consistently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.