Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by woodson
Any input on Samsung units? Best Buy has em in the $1500 range.
I've got a Samsung w/french door and bottom freezer.. Love it - except for one thing; the freakin' ice-maker.. Finally, after 2+ years of fighting with it (and part of the fight was NOT the fault of the fridge) I shut off the water supply and turned it off.

IF I were to get another fridge it would NOT, repeat NOT, feature an ice-maker..

Repeatedly broke on 2 Samsung french door units...Since he was a contractor Lowes got both of them back and they were replaced. The third model worked and stayed with the house when he sold it grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by woodson
She wants a French door with bottom freezer type unit.

We bought a Samsung fridge fitting your wife's description about 5-6 years ago. ONLY problem we have had with it is the icemaker only makes about 10# of ice a day. Newer models now make more. With both of us home all the time, we oftentimes went through that much before noon. We both drink a lot of water every day. Bought several of the $9-$10 Yeti clone cups, problem solved.

Good luck . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Avoid the KitchenAide brand, put a brand new $4000 unit in our new kitchen remodel. Ice maker went out 2 months ago, 14 months old. Did a check its very common to have freezer or ice maker issues with in a year or two.
It is now. It never used to be. Foreign stuff is junk.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You guys aren't making this easier. Lol

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If I was buying a fridge, or any large appliance now, I would either buy a 10 year old Amana or Maytag or be sure I got the extended warranty.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We bought all new Kitchen Aid appliances in 2013 with the house purchase. I've worked on the refrigerator (auto defrost on refrigerator side failure), the gas stove (oven is too smart and safe two different boards) and igniters on top, gave up on the lights on the bottom of the micro hood. The dishwasher has been pretty good though.

Kenmore Gold refrigerator that we had in the washroom at the other house was built in 2001 and we left it with the house sale. Still going I bet...built by Whirlpool just like the above listed KA.

Side note,

The Samsung giant french door bottom freezer that wouldn't fit in the space at the new house is still going strong. About a 2011 model. I would take a repairman's opinion on the LG and Samsung's in the overall scheme.

Sadly it shows a drop in quality in the big picture over the last 15 years.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 3 KitchenAides in 2 houses. Range in age 6-15 years. Never really had a problem with any. And what minor problems I did have were all ice maker related, which were DIY resolved using repairclinic.com.

Also have a Frigidaire and again nary a problem.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whirlpool= junk.

They make a lot of different brands. Ammana, Maytag, Kitchen Aid,Frigidair and a host of others.

I have had 3 stoves replaced in a 3 year time span, after countless repairs. Have a GE now and narry a problem. (3years)
Side by Side compressor went out after 2 years. Still have this one.
Upright Freezer went out at 4 years. Have a GE now.
Top of the line HE Maytag washer lasted 18 months. Replacement board was more than I paid for the washer. Replaced with regular old "normal" GE and haven't looked back.

My brother in law builds houses, and he had access to the Whirlpool VIP website. I got great prices, which is why I bought all Whirlpool made products. Needless to say, they don't get their appliances from Whirlpool anymore. Samsung and LG now.

Did I mention how big of a piece of chit Whirlpool is? All of the above conveniently failed outside of warranty, before I could get a handle on it being Whirlpools fault.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Appliances are now like computer printers. Buy one knowing it is not made to last long and you will be replacing it before long.

The days of an appliance lasting 20 years gone.
Build them cheap and add lots of bells and whistles is the style now. The more things that can break down, the better.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by kingfisher
Avoid the KitchenAide brand, put a brand new $4000 unit in our new kitchen remodel. Ice maker went out 2 months ago, 14 months old. Did a check its very common to have freezer or ice maker issues with in a year or two.
It is now. It never used to be. Foreign stuff is junk.

Each to his own. We purchased a Kitchenaid french door model with the bottom freezer in 2012 and have -zero- issues with it. I think it could be quieter when the compressor runs but I only notice it at night so it isn't all that bad. Never had any issues with the icemaker or water dispenser either. Actually we went with their microwave,oven/stove and dishwasher at the same time. No trouble with any of them. Yet.

I personally hate the bottom freezer because I have to kneel down and rummage through it for everything but it works well. I also could care less about the ice maker and water dispenser too ... but my wife loves them. We run reverse osmosis water through them and that may be the reason we've never had any issues with those components.

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a side by side LG bought in 2007. Still going strong. Don't know if newer models are as reliable, but I feel lucky considering it seems appliances generally have a shorter life expectancy these days. The water filters are more expensive than GE ones though. So we buy the Home Depot replacement filters instead. The ice maker froze up once last year. Took it out, let it thaw, works since then.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We bought our house new, in 2000. Builder put in Whirlpool appliances. We still have and use the original appliances, though we need to replace the dishwasher soon. It still works, just not like it used to (I suspect the impeller pump is worn), and it is very noisy.

So far, the only repairs have been: a seal on the motor shaft of the dishwasher at 14 months old, I replaced the $1 seal;
the stove had the electronic control board go bad under warranty 16 years ago, and about 2 months ago I replaced the oven temperature sensor;
on the dryer, a tub support roller went out and I replaced that;
I had to replace the defrost sensor on the refrigerator twice.

So for me, Whirlpool has been very good.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Wives want what they want but we hate the French door and the bottom freezer. Why? Because it is basically another chest freezer where whatever you want to get out of it invariably ends up on the very bottom underneath everything else in the freezer. They are allegedly more difficult and expensive to repair.

Same here,I don't like the bottom freezer at all,we've got stuff in there we will never eat,cause we have to dig for it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I hate the bottom freezer. My wife wanted one and she hates it too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should have mentioned we only use the bottom freezer for a few items - and it has the sliding drawer on the top so it's even easier to keep things separate..

But I have a YUGE freezer in the garage that can hold something like 800# of meat.. We buy 1/2 hog and 1/4 steer at a time - couple that with large buys of chicken when it's on sale and the dang thing gets fairly full.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ours is kinda like that too. We have a sliding tray on the top and the bottom has a divider so that helps

Still, I'm sure there is stuff in the bottom that is 2 years old and hasn't seen daylight since we put it in.

We have an upright freezer in the garage - we use that for meat.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/13/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by k22hornet
We bought our house new, in 2000. Builder put in Whirlpool appliances. We still have and use the original appliances, though we need to replace the dishwasher soon. It still works, just not like it used to (I suspect the impeller pump is worn), and it is very noisy.

So far, the only repairs have been: a seal on the motor shaft of the dishwasher at 14 months old, I replaced the $1 seal;
the stove had the electronic control board go bad under warranty 16 years ago, and about 2 months ago I replaced the oven temperature sensor;
on the dryer, a tub support roller went out and I replaced that;
I had to replace the defrost sensor on the refrigerator twice.

So for me, Whirlpool has been very good.
Over 16 years ago. Maytag and Amana were both going strong then and providing competition. Once they went under, everything else turned to junk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When we remodeled a couple years ago, we went with an LG. Two-door, bottom freezer, no ice/water dispenser. It's been perfect. Not one single issue. The only minor nit-noy is that the stainless steel outer isn't magnetic. Can't put up grandkid photos on the fridge any more.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GE may not be good today but i remodeled my house in 1996 and bought all new appliances.my side-by-side frig and my electric range are both GE .all i've done is replace the icemaker in the frig. range has been great,my daughter sells cakeballs and bakes a unbelievable amount of cakes.before christmas she sold 540 dozen cakeballs and baked almost 200 cakes in a 3 week period.every holliday is the same.she sold 200 dozen this week.i keep telling her when the range dies she's buying.

i really don't know what brand i'd buy today.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not the same type of fridge, but we've had zero problems from any Kenmore that we've ever had.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.