D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
This one is ironwood, and mine, and will not flex like that Blackthorn.

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/20160412_192343-jpg.45974/

That doesn't look like any ironwood I have ever seen and I have sawed up a ton of it!

It is Ironwood. One of 6 fighting staves made from it by a friend of mine. This one was too short and was made into a walking stick for me.

Ironwood is a common name attached to a huge bunch of species from many genera... that is not the standard "Desert Ironwood" someone from AZ would be thinking of.

Makes sense, like I stated. It doesn't look like any I have ever seen.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This is an interesting thread. I was recently diagnosed with MS and my symptoms include leg weakness, balance problems and an uneven gate, especially when I'm tired. I use a hickory hoe handle as a walking stick when I'm out and about. It is tough and works really well, but it doesn't really fit in well when out in the public! The Wife and Kids have been nagging me about getting a cane, but for some reason I've been resisting.

lightman
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have never owned one, but have known a few people who carried dried bull penises. Those things could flat put a hurting on something if needed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
This one is ironwood, and mine, and will not flex like that Blackthorn.

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/20160412_192343-jpg.45974/

That doesn't look like any ironwood I have ever seen and I have sawed up a ton of it!

It is Ironwood. One of 6 fighting staves made from it by a friend of mine. This one was too short and was made into a walking stick for me.

Ironwood is a common name attached to a huge bunch of species from many genera... that is not the standard "Desert Ironwood" someone from AZ would be thinking of.

Makes sense, like I stated. It doesn't look like any I have ever seen.

Since I was not there for the harvest, I was told what it was. One of the six foot staves has a dragon's claw holding a faceted lead Crystal in it's grip. It could be this.:
Blue Beech, (in reference to the blue-gray, smooth bark that is akin to American Beech) is also known as American Hornbeam (compared to the landscape trees known as European Hornbeam), Musclewood (alluding to its muscular-looking wood at maturity), and Ironwood (in reference to its very hard, dense wood). This tree of multiple common names is an understory tree native to the entire eastern half of the United States (including all of Ohio) and southernmost Canada.

It is noted for its interesting mature bark, mature fruits, and fall foliage colors. (Also known as ironwood)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
I have never owned one, but have known a few people who carried dried bull penises. Those things could flat put a hurting on something if needed.

actually i have one of those, steel rod inside it for strength.
little lite tho for intended dual purpose.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Osage makes a good one. It's denser than hickory and bends easily when heat is applied.

Yuppa...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Been carrying this one for over 20 years now. Osage or hedge works great if you can find a straight enough length...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Osage makes a good one. It's denser than hickory and bends easily when heat is applied.

Yuppa...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Been carrying this one for over 20 years now. Osage or hedge works great if you can find a straight enough length...

Even if they aren't straight,when it is dry it bends easily and stays when heat is applied with a heat gun. I've created good recurves in Osage bows using a heat gun and form to bend the stave..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornbeam is what I know as ironwood. I saw a good bit of it while wandering around the woods in Raleigh County, WV. It does appear to have musles in the trunk. I always intended to get a piece for making a stick, but never did, of course. My current stick is made from a piece of a kieffer pear tree in my yard. After pruning, it sends up arrow-straight suckers off the pruned branches. If allowed to grow a bit, they work well as garden stakes and such. The wood's pretty hard, but I'm not sure how strong it is.

For some reason, beech of any sort is scarce around here, but I saw a bunch on a VA WMA just across the Blue Ridge a couple weeks ago. There's also a fine collection of various beeches in the Virginia State Arboretum about 20 miles away. They're one of my favorite trees.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I own one and have used it, as needed, for more than 17 years.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My Osage Orange walking stick that my wife picked up for $9. I love the thing, I can pick up sticks with the hook end, hang it when not need and club the shiet out of things with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wifey keeps me in line with her great grand pappy's blackthorn!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Blackthorn is as cool as it gets. Solving a problem w/ it would definitely be more satisfying than an overly civilized shooting and garner more style points. Imagine a prosecutor trying to prosecute someone of our age for self defense w/ their walking stickgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The Blackthorn is as cool as it gets. Solving a problem w/ it would definitely be more satisfying than an overly civilized shooting and garner more style points. Imagine a prosecutor trying to prosecute someone of our age for self defense w/ their walking stickgrin

mike r

That would be one reason I favor them. It is overlooked in plain sight. It seldom needs to leave your side, and there are fighting techniques based on a cane.

https://youtu.be/6EEeya-C1So

https://youtu.be/hBYb_31Vgko
(Just a couple of examples)

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Wifey keeps me in line with her great grand pappy's blackthorn!

[Linked Image]

Man-o-man.....
What I wouldn't give to have one like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a walking stick that I cut from the limb of Madrone(sp?) tree.
It's very dense, heavy wood.

It's red in color, and looks like it doesn't have any bark.

It's about 5' long and about an inch and a half on the big end.

Makes a GREAT walking stick/club.

Virgil B.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have always liked having a walking stick or staff. I feel better in rough terrain when I have a third leg. I have staffs and canes mad of various materials and like the confidence they give me. I've often thought a bayonet mount would finish off the staff real nicely. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
I have always liked having a walking stick or staff. I feel better in rough terrain when I have a third leg. I have staffs and canes mad of various materials and like the confidence they give me. I've often thought a bayonet mount would finish off the staff real nicely. GD

Lol... so do I. I have a Swiss bayonet now awaiting that project.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i am getting enambered of a black thorn walking stick.
anybody have one and have used it?

There's a guy down the road from me that has a hand painted sign at the front of his driveway advertising "handmade rimfire walking sticks"...I haven't checked them out, but if you're interested I could stop and take a look...maybe take some pics...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the talk about Blackthorne and Osage Orange, how do you think Locust would fare? Never messed with any once it was dried. Fenceposts seem to last a good while..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This one doesn't have much "character" compared to most mentioned (yeah, it's fiberglass), but I've been using one of these in some rough mountains the past couple of years and love it. I've broken or bent a lot of light hiking staffs, even broke one of the boyd's laminate sticks. Works great to steady a rifle on. This one has stood up to everything well...and it's cheap enough I need to get another:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jolt-54-in-sorting-pole

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.