Hop To
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/444977/trump-era-really-such-slow-start

Is the Trump Era Really Off to Such a Slow Start?

The lead story in the New York Times today: “Congressional Republicans, who craved unified control of the government to secure their aggressive conservative agenda, have instead found themselves on a legislative elliptical trainer, gliding toward nowhere.”
Eh, maybe. Yes, the big items like Obamacare replacement and tax reform are taking time – no one should expect either of those done until the middle of the year – but there’s a lot of little repeals of Obama-era regulations going on, largely ignored by cable news and the big political media. .
For example, at the White House:
[President Trump signed] a bill [that] cancels out a Securities and Exchange Commission regulation that would have required oil and gas and mining companies to disclose in detail the payments they make to foreign governments in a bid to boost transparency in resource-rich countries.

Hill Republicans are also seeking to use the Congressional Review Act to overturn regulations that would: prevent coal-mining operations from dumping waste into nearby waterways; restrict methane emissions by oil and gas operations on federal land; require federal contractors to self-certify that they comply with U.S. labor laws; require each state to issue annual ratings for teacher-prep programs; and introduce a planning rule for federal lands.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan, who attended the signing Tuesday, said it would be “the first of many Congressional Review Act bills to be signed into law by President Trump.” He said they would “provide relief for Americans hurt by regulations rushed through at the last minute by the Obama administration.”

Congress only has 60 legislative days to repeal a last-minute regulation by an outgoing administration, so these sorts of little bills have to take priority; there’s a legal deadline.
Meanwhile, over in the Senate:
Sen. Joe Donnelly was one of four Democrats who voted with all Senate Republicans and one independent Wednesday to overturn a rule barring gun ownership for some who have been deemed mentally impaired, clearing the measure for President Donald Trump’s signature.

The Obama-era rule required the Social Security Administration
to send records of some beneficiaries to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System after they’ve been deemed incapable of managing their financial affairs because of a disabling mental disorder, ranging from anxiety to schizophrenia.

The Senate voted 57-43 to rescind the rule, following House passage largely along party lines on Feb. 2.

“However, I am concerned this rule, as written, is overly broad, and I share the concerns expressed by some mental health and disability advocates that the current rule could contribute to unjustified stigma,” Donnelly said.

Our society is sending two contradictory messages. The first is that there’s no stigma to having mental illness, emotional issues, feeling overwhelmed, or other psychological troubles, and no one should feel ashamed about telling others about those problems. The second is that if you admit you have those kinds of problems, some of your constitutional rights can be taken away by others without an appeal.

Meanwhile, over in the House:
The Email Privacy Act passed the House Monday evening by a unanimous voice vote. The legislation, sponsored by Rep. Kevin Yoder (R-KAN.), is meant to close a loophole in the current Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA). The ECPA was passed in 1986 and was intended to protect people from government overreach.

The loophole in the ECPA is that old emails (those more than 180 days old) are deemed to have been abandoned. As such, the Department of Justice and other governmental agencies can obtain them without the necessity of obtaining a warrant signed by a judge. Currently, all that is necessary to get these emails is the issuance of a subpoena directed at the tech companies that holds the emails on its servers. Requirements to obtain a subpoena are much less stringent than requiring a judge to issue a warrant.

Is it everything conservatives wanted? No. But the stock markets keep setting new records since the election, suggesting that somebody’s optimistic about the direction of the government in the coming years.

‘Tell Jon Tester to Stop the Obstruction!’

This morning, the Judicial Crisis Network unveiled the third phase of its campaign to help the effort to confirm Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
This new commercial focuses on Senator Jon Tester of Montana and will air throughout his home state, starting today and until the middle of next week. The group is spending $350,000, part of a $1 million campaign in Montana and a $10 million campaign nationwide.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Yes

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hayzeus. What is it with instant gratification people? Things take time. If Trump accomplished every single thing you lot wished for on the first month, what the hell would he do for the next four or eight years?

Obamacare took years to phase in. It will take at least that long to phase it out without creating havoc.

Gun control laws have been mounting for over half a century. It will take some patience to weed through the worst of it.

Ditto for government bureaucratic tyranny, environmental craziness, and economic nonsense.

Chill, people! Or as Aaron Rodgers so elequently said, "R E L A X"

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep, I didn't get the folks that thought ACA would just magically disappear?
.gov has been screwing things[and us] up for a LONG time.
Takes some space and time to turn a big ship around.

FJB & FJT
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Actually, this article was to show how much had been done already, rather than how little had been done, which are lies of the left that many on here have bought into, too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
hells bells, its been what like a month? we expect him to unphuk what's been done over the last decade. get real!!

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Hayzeus. What is it with instant gratification people? Things take time. If Trump accomplished every single thing you lot wished for on the first month, what the hell would he do for the next four or eight years?

Obamacare took years to phase in. It will take at least that long to phase it out without creating havoc.

Gun control laws have been mounting for over half a century. It will take some patience to weed through the worst of it.

Ditto for government bureaucratic tyranny, environmental craziness, and economic nonsense.

Chill, people! Or as Aaron Rodgers so elequently said, "R E L A X"

Thanks for posting it.

One month in office, Trump has done amazing things.
I can't even imagine the labyrinth of door-busting he has to do on a daily basis, and surrounded by ankle biters at every turn.
Thank God he has some height on him. He's bull dog determined.
Just give him some breathing room, and time.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The TV propaganda is getting to the people who haven't learned to sift through it.

CNN has gotten even more ridiculous than ever. They're not even pretending to cover any world events any longer. It's just the same anti-Trump rhetoric being repeated over and over day in and day out, all day long.

Anyone who can't watch it without being affected needs to turn it off.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
if he changes the country in a year like he has in his first month we'll be well on the way to fixing this mess.

i think he's done for the american people than obama did in 8 years.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Settle down. Trump is only in office four weeks tomorrow.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Picture if you will a great blind lumbering behemoth stumbling aimlessly along a slippery country road, whilst astride it's shoulders is a fellow with his finger hooked into it's nostrils and slowly guiding it back to the sure footing beside that treacherous path, know that this unfortunate neglected creature has just spent the past eight years being goaded along by a chittering imp waving an electric cattle prod at it's southern most orifice, so is naturally somewhat leery of changing course.

Fortunately the fellow on it's shoulders has solicited the help of a majority of the creature's keepers...those that have a heart and feel they owe the creature some solace and a fighting chance.

Stick with it, it is a task that needs doing.

(feel free to hang the imp)

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Best of luck to him

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Best of luck to him
Best of luck to US! wink

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm a little confused as to what is good and bad.
I would have thought that preventing coal mining companies from dumping waste in waterways would be something which would be considered to be a good thing. Especially on a site which is frequented by outdoorsmen who, presumably, would want to see waterways protected since they enjoy outdoor recreation.
I would have thought that restriction of methane emissions would be considered to be a good thing.
As a hunter, fisherman, hiker, canoeist, and one who just enjoys the outdoors, I think we should care about environmental protection. Now, I truly believe that much of our environmental protection rules are misguided and target the wrong demographic but I don't believe that turning the multi-national corporations loose to do their own environmental impact assessments and protocols is necessarily a great plan. I seriously doubt that coal companies much care how many fish we have in our streams or how many deer or elk we have in our mountains.
Just because Trump beat Hillary (for which I am truly thankful), this doesn't mean everything he does is automatically good.
In general, I long for the pre-1968 gun control days (Which, sadly, we will never see again). I find it a little difficult to advocate for firearms ownership by the mentally impaired, however. Still, it's just as difficult to allow the government, at any level, to interfere with anyone's right to bear arms. The truth is, not everyone should be entitled to bear arms but I don't know of any fair way to determine who should not. There is always the possibility for misuse of a regulation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (257Bob, 257_X_50, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.