Hop To
Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Why is that? God wiped out all of the ancestors of Adam that had no spirit...check that soul?

I don't recall that in the Bible.

Last night I said that I don't recall that either....meaning don't recall reading that God wiped out Adam's ancestors. But, some do interpret the creation account to read that there was a cataclysmic event described in Genesis.

Forms of theistic evolution began when Darwin was just a wee lad, and maybe a century or 2 before the Beagle. It used to be called "gap theory of creation" or "ruin-renovation" or something of like that.

Sort of interesting reading J.B. Rotherham's twist. He translated Genesis 1:2 to read "Now the earth had become waste and wild." There are some footnotes that then explain that this may imply some previous catastrophe. However, his reasoning for translating the Hebrew to "had become waste and wild" is a minority view amongst translations.

It seems if I were to try to reconcile evolutionary theory with the biblical account, I'd revert to that old belief based on the premise that life was destroyed and recreated.

Steve

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Steven_CO,

Then the translators would correctly translate that Adam and Eve became naked and the serpen became crafty.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Steven_CO,

Then the translators would correctly translate that Adam and Eve became naked and the serpen became crafty.

It's a different form of the same word in those passages, isn't it? I think that word is translated interchangeably as "was", "became" or "had/s become", but I'd have to look closer.

Regardless, I get what you're saying.

I think the same holds true for the word in Gen 2:1 being translated both ways depending on context.

And, I think the reason that Rotherham translated it "had become" was to: 1.) fit the ruin-renovation theology; and 2.) because of the next phrase that he translated "waste and wild" which was based on it's usage in Isaiah, in a totally different context, however.

Not sayin' it's correct. And, as I stated, that interpretation is in a minority.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Sorry, not following this in it's entirety, but, Hawk, how old was Adam when God created him? 20? 30? 40? Amd at whatever age God created him, was he [/i]Really that old[i]? Or did God "breath a soul and His image into an already adult hominid? (requiring a really, really liberal, perhaps apostate, interp).

Point is, we don't know but that God could. If He created a 40 y/o Adam could He not also have created 100 billion y/o universe at the point of creation? Certainly. He just hasn't filled in all the blanks for us.

Just musing.
I think I've been pretty clear on this. My belief is that God only created Adam in the sense that he commanded the waters to bring forth all living creatures. God being omniscient was fully cognizant that eventually this process would result in anatomically modern humans, of whom Adam would be one. I don't know at what age God breathed a soul into Adam. The Bible doesn't say.

The above is merely my effort at matching scientific knowledge with what the Bible says. I don't see them as contradicting.

That's kind of my point: the Bible isn't clear, leaving "gaps" or nonspecific language, and as you infer, on purpose (an omniscient God). Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, science (i.e., paleoanthropology, has shown that the blind are often leading the blind) is an, "infant"? Prebubescent? It is incomplete too and that is giving it the grandest of liberties. Therefore, while this is very entertaining, and interesting, it is all speculation; particularly, from the purely secular side. Again, the blind telling us the color of the landscape; the deaf describing a sonic boom..

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
10-4 there.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wish I could get my wife in on this thread, but she won't do it. She graduated from Texas A&M University in 1999 with her PhD in reproductive physiology. She was also heavily involved in the first cloned animal because her Committee Chair's lab handled all the genetic experiments. Genetics is her cup of tea. She reads voraciously, is addicted to Ted Talks programs, and stays abreast of new developments in her field and in genetics. I readily admit it is all too much for me to comprehend.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I wish I could get my wife in on this thread, but she won't do it. She graduated from Texas A&M University in 1999 with her PhD in reproductive physiology.
She was also heavily involved in the first cloned animal because her Committee Chair's lab handled all the genetic experiments...

Your wife is very knowledgeable in animal genetics, but when it comes to hardline bible thumpers their knowledge on animals relates
Balaams talking donkey in scripture.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I was raised to believe in creationism, then in school biology leaned of evolution. Confusion ended for me when I found a line in the Bible that went something like"unto God a thousand years is unto a day and a day unto a thousand years".

I'd say whatever God created, continues to evolve.

Last edited by websterparish47; 02/22/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
So after a long time the ameba got legs to live on land and the only ones wat survived grew hair an bigger legs (this is after they got tired of being sharks an cats except for them that liked it). So they were what we called apes for a long time like hundreds of thousands of years and all had like the same DNA for all that time till one got kicked in the nuts and it messed up the DNA in a squiggly. Then it got another preggie and you know it- the little cripple sucker beat all the old style DNA and got the job done first. Then the baby ape had a three part brain that could even contemplate and plan and it was a male so it raped a bunch and made more with that very same crippled DNA that replicated it self by millions.Then those wanted cars and whiskey so here we are. Now we can think and plan and we can do stuff other animals can't even contemplate but even though we are different we still proclaim we are nothing more than dumb animals and
I don't know how I missed this like five year ago, but it's funny as hell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rick, it's time for you to do your part in MAGA and let 'ol eyeball out of his cage. He's no more racis than most of these here bastards on here.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I wish I could get my wife in on this thread, but she won't do it. She graduated from Texas A&M University in 1999 with her PhD in reproductive physiology.
She was also heavily involved in the first cloned animal because her Committee Chair's lab handled all the genetic experiments...

Your wife is very knowledgeable in animal genetics, but when it comes to hardline bible thumpers their knowledge on animals relates
Balaams talking donkey in scripture.
The talking donkey beats the raping ape every time.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Who really cares?

Page 33 of 33 1 2 31 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (160user, 10ring1, 222ND, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,571
Posts18,531,909
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.