Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What changes were made? Any reason to seek one instead of the other?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steel recoil lug, metal bolt shroud, wider ejection port, modular stock.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The lug and shroud are available from Beretta or aftermarket. The port is a non issue and the modular stock is non essential. But you cant go wrong with either model at the right price.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gotcha.

What was the original lug made from? Aluminum?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the T3x, what is the shortest length of pull.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
A new and better recoil pad plus everything Jordan said. P.s, the old recoil lug is aluminium.

Last edited by Konnari; 02/26/17.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

For $250 less, I feel the T3 to be a better value.

SD

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ordered a T3x bolt shroud and put it on my T3 SL, its a nice piece, I like it better than the Mtn Tactical. Guess its a "faux T3x" now:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing to look at is the new checkering pattern on the wood and synthetic stocked models. I have a synthetic stocked T3 SS Lite and a new T3x Hunter with a wood stock. I don’t know if they changed the profile of the pistol grip that much, to me it seems like they did, but I much prefer the new checkering pattern on the T3x, it feels more secure and “grabby’. The feel of the new stock alone was what made me choose a T3x even with the great closeout deals on the T3. I don’t know how important that is to you but it might be worth your while to compare the two if you have a chance.

Most folks are charging in the $800’s for the new models but more than one on line dealer is charging in the lower $700’s so it pays to look around.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The price increase is the biggest change I can see.

I just bought a T3 Hunter in 222 for $499 that I suspect will be just as accurate as the new model.

You can buy a lot of do-dads with $300.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a Tikka outsider, I think the new one looks better. I still wish they'd either offer a blind mag version, or a flush-fit mag.

I came pretty near buying one last week, but got snared by another falling block single-shot. That bug is hard to shake.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
As a Tikka outsider, I think the new one looks better.

I'm also a Tikka outsider but I can tell you, I wouldn't have bought either model based on looks. I'm simply a sucker for accurate wood stocked 222's so for $500 I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about.

Haven't even shot it yet but I doubt that I'll be disappointed.

I'm also a incurable tinkerer but if I decide to keep it I might change the recoil lug but other than that I ain't spending one thin dime on it. It'll have to sink or swim on it's own.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/27/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt you would see any difference in accuracy between the T3 and T3x, both should please you equally in that department.

I go back and forth on building up to what I want and just thinking it’s not worth the effort when you can buy a Tikka, take it out of the box and it will shoot right alongside custom trued/rebarreled/restocked rifles that cost 3 or 4 times more. And that’s not hyperbole. Some of my custom sporters (not heavy barreled stuff) can shoot in the .2’s with good loads but so can my Tikka .223 T3 Lite which hasn’t had a thing done to it except turning the trigger screw to lower the pull weight. What’s a real pisser is that some of my custom reworked sporters won’t shoot as accurately as the box stock Tikkas.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by KenMi
The lug and shroud are available from Beretta or aftermarket. The port is a non issue and the modular stock is non essential. But you cant go wrong with either model at the right price.

What do they charge for these?
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever Beretta charges it will be about three times higher than anyone else. You can buy a steel replacement from Talley for $20, probably other folks as well. Whatever you look at make sure it's steel, Brownell's sells a replacement but it's aluminum. They may offer a steel one but a quick search didn't find it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I doubt you would see any difference in accuracy between the T3 and T3x, both should please you equally in that department.

I go back and forth on building up to what I want and just thinking it’s not worth the effort when you can buy a Tikka, take it out of the box and it will shoot right alongside custom trued/rebarreled/restocked rifles that cost 3 or 4 times more. And that’s not hyperbole. Some of my custom sporters (not heavy barreled stuff) can shoot in the .2’s with good loads but so can my Tikka .223 T3 Lite which hasn’t had a thing done to it except turning the trigger screw to lower the pull weight. What’s a real pisser is that some of my custom reworked sporters won’t shoot as accurately as the box stock Tikkas.

I went to the range yesterday for load development for my ss T3 in 7mm Rem Mag. I brought my new-to-me ss T3 1-8" .223 to try a few loads using Nosler's new 70 gr RDF over a max charge of TAC. I bought this rifle back in September from a guy here on the 'fire.

Three shots might not tell some people much, but I saw all I needed.

[Linked Image]

That's 0.103" if anyone was wondering. Stock T3.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez, now you're just showing off.. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Agreed.....I think you could say the same thing about CZ's. Adjust the trigger, clean the used wheel grease they use for packing out of the barrel, and go to work.

I do think that everyone should experience the joy of a custom barrel at least once in their lifetimes too though but you shouldn't have to spend a ton of money to get acceptable accuracy out of a factory rifle.

I've talked about it before but I have a Remington SPS 223 I bought for $369 + a $50 rebate that I had my gunsmith true and recrown/rechamber to 222 ($175), pillar bedded in a Boyds Classic ADL stock ($90 back then) and installed an old school Walker trigger I had on hand.
This new Tikka's gonna have a hard time keeping up with it but even after doing a lot of the work myself and selling the craputrigger, stock, and BDL bottom metal I still have more in the Remington than the Tikka. Not much more, but more none the less.

I'll be happy if the Tikka shoots half that well but I suspect it'll do better than that.

[Linked Image]

Here's both rifles, they both look pretty good as far as I can tell.

[Linked Image]

Anywayyyyy......just my story/2 cents.....sorry for the hi-jack MM....

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
The price increase is the biggest change I can see.

I just bought a T3 Hunter in 222 for $499 that I suspect will be just as accurate as the new model.

You can buy a lot of do-dads with $300.

I just purchased a NIB T3x Lite, stainless steel in 7mm Rem Mag for $569. I was about to buy a used Hunter on this site but backed out. Made the "mistake" of surfing around on Whittaker's and found the T3x. I could not turn it down.

I took it out a few days back and was quite pleased. I don't really like to shoot a 5 shot group with a lightweight rifle but I did it anyway. Had a pretty good 3 shot group going but the last 2 shots took off a little. This was shot with factory Remington Express Cor-Lokt in 150 grains.

[Linked Image]

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice! And a great deal for a stainless T3x...........Enjoy!....Hb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.