Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Even the 200-grain Nosler Partition which SU35 mentions, which has a pretty decent ballistic coefficient for a flat-based spitzer, would be traveling well under the 1800 fps Nosler lists as minimum for expansion at 800 yards.

Very true, but it would tell us something about how accurate the gelatin test is overall at that 800 yard distance.

If the Partition fails like Nosler says it should at below 1,800 fps, then the gel test is a pretty accurate test overall, for all bullets tested.

On the other hand...if the NP acts like a normal NP shot at a closer distance then I have to wonder............

Also, in my own testing of bullets I like to shoot a minimum of two bullets to get a read.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually properly calibrated 10% Ballistic gel has proven to be a relatively reliable indicator of soft tissue performance.

That may well be true, but it still doesn't take into account things like say, a rib gets punched on the way in; wet, heavy coats; heavy fat layers; caked mud (pigs); etc. Lots of variables exist in the real world that are difficult or impossible to simulate. I figure if a bullet expands, penetrates, and doesn't go to pieces in gelatin, wax, or wet paper pulp, it's worth trying on a real, bony, critter.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Actually properly calibrated 10% Ballistic gel has proven to be a relatively reliable indicator of soft tissue performance.

That may well be true, but it still doesn't take into account things like say, a rib gets punched on the way in; wet, heavy coats; heavy fat layers; caked mud (pigs); etc. Lots of variables exist in the real world that are difficult or impossible to simulate. I figure if a bullet expands, penetrates, and doesn't go to pieces in gelatin, wax, or wet paper pulp, it's worth trying on a real, bony, critter.

Do you know this through actual testing and correlation of calibrated ballistic gelatin and live tissue performance, or are you guessing?

Not trying to be snarky.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 02/28/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
FWIW the Nosler ETIP from my limited expiereance appears to be a tougher than a Barnes TTSX as it pertains to expansion at low velocities.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Do you know this through actual testing and correlation of calibrated ballistic gelatin and live tissue performance, or are you guessing?

I know this because I've shot stuff and witnessed stuff being shot by others and seen what can happen when bullets hit in various places, most notably when they hit even relatively small or thin bones. Your calibrated jello has a uniform density from one end to the other that's generally unavailable on living creatures, in this part of the country anyway, so can't be anything more than a convenient medium for comparison. Attempting to translate results from shooting holes in jello into an accurate prediction of killing power is really guessing.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've seen Partitions expand just fine on their front end to below 1500, so yes I think a Partition would have compared favorably to the rest in the test.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
28lx,

A 180 E-Tip started at 3100 fps (the probable muzzle velocity from a .300 Winchester Magnum) isn't going to be traveling 1800 fps at 800 yards. That's using actual range-tested BC info and environmental conditions for Grand Island, Nebraska.

It would if you were elk hunting in the Rockies at 9k'-11k'.

If at 9k' it would be doing 2102 at 800. 2169 at 10k. These are based on JBM and factory BCs. Litz BCs for Nosler bullets are sometimes a little lower and sometimes a little better so I won't automatically assume they would be worse. An E-Tip would not be my choice of a LR bullet, but the point is where you hunt can have a meaningful impact on what may be suitable. I'd rather see tests where the bullet is tested at an impact velocity(s) and then the reader can equate that to a range based on cartridge and conditions.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
DakotaDeer,

What animals? And where did the Partitions hit them?

Expansion can depend considerably on both factors. The highest weight retention I've seen from a .30-caliber-and-under Partition was a 160 7mm that impacted a BIG Alberta mule deer at around 2150 fps. Don't know exactly what the entire deer weighed, but the boned meat weighed 130 pounds.

The buck was angling slightly toward me, and the bullet hit the muscle of the shoulder, just behind the bone. The bullet was found under the hide toward the rear of the ribcage on the far side, retaining slightly over 90% of its weight, and basically had just barely started to expand. But the bullet slipped between two ribs after going through the shoulder muscles, so hadn't hit ANY bone, just a little muscle and both lungs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
M.D. Sounds like that Nosler NP came close to failing to expand. Wounder why? At 2150fps I think it should have shown more expansion even if it didn't hit bone. Or, maybe this just proves no bullet is perfect. Not even my favorite.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.