Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I recently bought a very low serial number Forbes in 270. My original plan was to send it to Melvin for a rebarrel and have a NULA on the cheap.I bought some Nosler factory ammo for the brass and it turns out that it shoots very well.

5 shots with factory 140 Nosler BT Nosler brand ammo. That dot is the size of a quarter.
[Linked Image]

3 shots same ammo.
[Linked Image]

Being a rifle looney,I'm still wondering how much better a Douglas barrel installed by Melvin would do.I don't want to send this one in but I've found another fairly low serial number Forbes in 25-06.I'm thinking about buying it and sending it to Melvin to put on a barrel and do whatever else to make it as close to a NULA as possible. That's where I would like some opinions and help.

First off,am I correct that the Forbes rifle stocks were made by Melvin and would be the same as a NULA? Second,do you think the action would be just as good as his NULA? I was under the impression that Melvin made his own but the Forbes actions were made by Titan. Third,since I don't varmint hunt I was thinking of changing the 25-06 to something different.

Already owning the same rifle in 270 has me considering what caliber would be different enough. My first thought was to get the new Forbes rebarreled to 280AI but that still seems redundant.Possibly I could do a 338-06 but whitetail is all I regularly hunt and a bear,elk,or moose hunt would be a once in a lifetime hunt anyway.I could try a 6.5-06 and set it up for a long range whitetail rifle or just go back to the original 280AI just because I already have 7-08 and 7mm rem mag.

What do you guys suggest. Maybe I'm just insane to want another Forbes rebarreled anyway and I should just put the money toward a full house NULA in a short action.

HR IC

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Well you know you're going to get tons of suggestions most that are not what you even asked for...grin

I don't know how much I'd spend on one shooting good but that's not what you asked either. The 25-06 is very close to the 270 as is the 280 so if it's a NULA itch you have I believe I'd hold off and get the short action NULA you really want.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Kaleb,That is a consideration too. I'm basically just thinking out loud right now,but with a time limit on the other used Forbes.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
be careful and know what your looking at I have seen a few of the forbes rifles for sale that were made later on that do not have Melvins stock on them......

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If that 25/06 shoots like your 270 it would be a dandy too as is. They haven't been cool in a few years now but 25's kill deer like lightning

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gene270
be careful and know what your looking at I have seen a few of the forbes rifles for sale that were made later on that do not have Melvins stock on them......

Any idea when that started? My 270 is one of the first 50 made. The 25-06 I'm considering buying is # 350 something.

One of my concerns was if the action and stock was just as good as a NULA from Melvin. My thought was that a barrel change and work by Melvin would make it a NULA for about $1500 less than getting one completely in house.If the stock and action is questionable,then the clear answer is save for a NULA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Forbes didn't take the care building their stocks that Melvin does. My LA Forbes stock weighs 26oz with the trigger guard. The NULA sight claims 20ish oz. but doesn't state long or short action. Not to mention the rough safety cutout. I've never touched a NULA action so I can't compare the quality of the action. They are still a good value and I really like them, not complaining.

You won't see a monetary return on a re-barrel, just your personal satisfaction. Not many people would recognize the value of a Melvin re-barrel.

Maybe JES or someone could re-bore to 280ai?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tkinak
Forbes didn't take the care building their stocks that Melvin does. My LA Forbes stock weighs 26oz with the trigger guard. The NULA sight claims 20ish oz. but doesn't state long or short action. Not to mention the rough safety cutout. I've never touched a NULA action so I can't compare the quality of the action. They are still a good value and I really like them, not complaining.

You won't see a monetary return on a re-barrel, just your personal satisfaction. Not many people would recognize the value of a Melvin re-barrel.

I wasn't aware that Forbes built their own stocks. I thought Melvin was doing that part.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I wasn't aware that Forbes built their own stocks. I thought Melvin was doing that part.

AG composites built Forbes stocks

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I assume from Melvin's recipe,or very close to it? Was that from the very beginning? Is that why they were a little heavier than advertised?

I have heard several reports from owners that the Forbes were a little heavier than advertised. On the other hand I've read gun writer reviews that measured weight was spot on. Did Melvin possibly build some of the first stocks,or maybe just the ones to be sent to publications for review?

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I assume from Melvin's recipe,or very close to it? Was that from the very beginning? Is that why they were a little heavier than advertised?

I have heard several reports from owners that the Forbes were a little heavier than advertised. On the other hand I've read gun writer reviews that measured weight was spot on. Did Melvin possibly build some of the first stocks,or maybe just the ones to be sent to publications for review?

I heard it somewhere do not recall where. Internet rumor? Who knows. That said AG makes a decent remington 700 stock

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
if AG stocks built the stocks for forbes rifles I dont think Melvin would be doing barrel work on those rifles.....

I have seen some of the later built forbes rifles come out with what appears to be an AG stock on them but that was probably after Melvin and Rick at forbes rifles parted ways i would guess.
Rick probably had some left over barreled actions and needed a stock for them....but not all of the Forbes rifles had AG stocks

Last edited by gene270; 03/03/17.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Besides the barrel difference, NULA's Timney triggers have the 2 position/3 function safety. I also have a fairly early built Forbes 270, but it doesn't have the NULA trigger. My bolt will open with the safety on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I guess I should restate:

Whomever made the stocks on my 2014 Forbes didn't take the care that Melvin would.[/i][/u]

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Besides the barrel difference, NULA's Timney triggers have the 2 position/3 function safety. I also have a fairly early built Forbes 270, but it doesn't have the NULA trigger. My bolt will open with the safety on.

My 270 Forbes does have the 3 function safety. My bolt locks unless you push the safety down.You can push down to unload with the safety in the safe position. It's one of the first 50.

Does yours shoot well?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The very early Forbes rifles were pretty much Melvin-built. It sounds and looks like you have one, and would gain little by having it "converted" to a NULA.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The very early Forbes rifles were pretty much Melvin-built. It sounds and looks like you have one, and would gain little by having it "converted" to a NULA.

Yea,nothing is going to be done to my early 270. This thread was more about another one I was thinking of buying in a 25-06. I'll probably just try to save some money and get a real NULA though in a short action instead.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have shot two types of factory ammo through mine, Nosler 130 Accubonds and Hornady Whitetail 130 Interlocks. It shoots both in groups of less than 3/4" if I can hold it there. It will group both darn near the same spot. I would not hesitate to hunt either ammo without having to re-sight in the rifle.

I am going to send mine to Melvin to shorten the LOP. 13 15/16" is a little too long for me. I am debating swapping out the trigger.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 03/03/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Well you know you're going to get tons of suggestions most that are not what you even asked for...grin

I don't know how much I'd spend on one shooting good but that's not what you asked either. The 25-06 is very close to the 270 as is the 280 so if it's a NULA itch you have I believe I'd hold off and get the short action NULA you really want.

+1 Get the short action.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought a Forbes rifle in 308 that would not shoot in a bucket. I tried all of the "standard" loads, plus a few others. I finally took it to a trustworthy rifle builder for a check-up. He scoped the barrel and said it appeared that when they bead blasted the barrel, they blasted down into the bore about 3 inches. He also said when he tightened the action screws, he could feel problems in the bedding.

I contacted Mr. Forbes. He was very helpful. He rebarreled, rebedded and repainted the stock for a very fair price. Needless to say, it works now.

I made a comment to Mr. Forbes that this might be as close as I ever get to an NULA rifle. His reply was "You are pretty damned close!"

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (338reddog, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 34 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,245
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.