Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I also stuck this in the classifieds...

I ran across one that's near mint. Has the clover leaf tang and all numbers match. Barreled action with trigger and all bottom metal. Just needs a stock. I'm not too educated on the older stuff so I need some input. The owner is asking $650.
Thanks!

GB1

E
E
Sounds like a fair price to me." Near mint" are the key words. You'll spend about $300 + on a vintage stock, but, you'll have a beautiful rifle. I paid $550 for a 1948 with some bluing loss and a bastardized stock (someone shortened it, then later put a piece of matching walnut to lengthen it again). It shoots like a dream. It makes 3" groups for me at 300 yards with factory Remington 150 grain.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a great deal. That's a transition rifle too. Does it have the transition style safety lever?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If for some reason you pass on it. I'd be interested. I love me a transition rifle. Some here wil say I have brain damage for wanting these specific rifles... and they are most likely correct in that, but I still grab them when I can get my hands on them

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
aguyinAK, the transitions are pretty cool.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sounds like a great deal. That's a transition rifle too. Does it have the transition style safety lever?

It's not like the safety on my other pre 64 so I gues it is the transition type.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Transition or Type II safety is often referred to as having a 'clamshell' design....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's not like the safety on my other pre 64 so I gues it is the transition type.

Roger, here's a good picture of a transition type safety:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yep BSA I defiantly have a problem smile I missed a transition 375 h&h on GunBroker about a year back by about 20$, wish I had been paying more attention on that one. Last year I took a 300 H&H supergrade transition out on my last hunt, and took my caribou at 250 with one shot. That particular rifle has been drilled for a griffin and Howe side mount, no idea why you would do that to a transition. However if I ever find the right mount I'll put I
it back on. I think the vintage look of that mount would make it even more of a looker then it already is.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Transitions are cool. I should have bought the one in the picture above. My buddy offered it to me for $800.00. It was totally restored, but someone wanted polished bluing on the receiver. The rifle was beautiful and probably better finished than it came from the factory. No worries about hunting that on in adverse weather conditions. Too bad about you not getting that 375 transition. It hurts when you lose out by only $20.00, but I've been there and done that too and lost out by a dollar. That what I get for working for a living and not being by the computer 24-7. I actually have a line on a beautiful 1938 model 70 30 govt. 06 for $550.00 out the door. I've always wondered if that particular type of safety lever would be easier to manipulate than the wing safety, since I shoot left handed?????? This is one of the reasons I prefer my m1917's over the model 70 blush

BSA MAGA
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunnut308: I would pay the price you mention for a 1947 Model 70 in the condition you describe!
If you do go for it then you would need to begin a LONG search for a similar condition stock!
I know it'll be a long search - I been there, done that.
In fact in one instance I am still looking (after several years!) for a suitable matching condition stock for an early 1951 mint condition Standard Rifle Model 70 - and those are "easier" to find than Transition Model stocks.
I also am a fan of "Transition" era Model 70's and own several of them.
And this one - about 30 years ago I found a "Transition" Model 70 that was made the same month I was born (July 1947) and I had a top quality custom Riflesmith turn it into one of my favorite Hunting Rifles that I have ever owned/Hunted with.
Not only is it a handsome, accurate, reliable and classy Rifle to Hunt with (in caliber 280 Remington) it IS the safest Rifle I have ever used afield - I have Hunted with it on hundreds of days and countless hours of carrying slung over my shoulders and that "Transition" safety has NEVER (not ever - not once!) been accidentally or inadvertently been moved from the ON SAFE position to OFF SAFE!
Once that "Transition" safety is placed ON SAFE it STAYS there until significant intention and effort undoes it.
I say go for it and get after a suitable collector condition stock.
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.