Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Improving adds little to the .30-06 series of cases, maybe 50 fps. It adds a good bit less to the .308 type case. I wouldn't bother, just get a regular .260.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
HR IC

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by longbarrel
Improving adds little to the .30-06 series of cases, maybe 50 fps. It adds a good bit less to the .308 type case. I wouldn't bother, just get a regular .260.

I get a lot more than 50fps over my 280rem with my 280ai, but even if it is only 50fps it's still faster and being I'll be reloading regardless if it's a rem or ai, I can only see it as an advantage. Is there is something that would be un-advantageous about the AI version since I'll reload either way?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might see if you can PM Steve Timm (aka: dogzapper) on here who wrote an article about building a 260AI for his wife. The article was in the now defunct Varmint Hunters Association magazine a dozen or so years ago. You could get some real life velocities fom his testing.

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lonny
You might see if you can PM Steve Timm (aka: dogzapper) on here who wrote an article about building a 260AI for his wife. The article was in the now defunct Varmint Hunters Association magazine a dozen or so years ago. You could get some real life velocities fom his testing.

Thanks for the tip!

I just looked it up and although I never found the artical from Steve I did find a quote from him saying he gained 125-150fps which to me would make the AI worth the effort and most likely put me in the 2900fps range with 140's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
It's a modest speed boost, but the lack of trimming is sweet.

I'm not one to chase every last fps but if the intent is putting immense numbers of rounds through it, the lack of trimming would be enough for me to go the AI version.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want an improved 260, go Swede, Creed, or 47 wink
Owned enjoyed and like all.

If you want an easy meaningful improvement in performance safely.
Simple way - buy a 270. Seriously.

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65BR
If you want an improved 260, go Swede, Creed, or 47 wink
Owned enjoyed and like all.

If you want an easy meaningful improvement in performance safely.
Simple way - buy a 270. Seriously.

The Swede and the 270 aren't short actions, and the Creed or 47 won't push a 140gr bullet 2900fps, at least not with a hunting length barrel. There are here are a pile of great 6.5 cartridges but very few 6.5's that fit the bill, short action non-magnums. It's for sort of a special purpose in a certain platform.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As per always...boolits matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps.

My "trouble" is,I've shot/got it all. As 6.5's go for serious pursuits,I'd cut right to the fhuqking chase and bank upon the one which presented me the best opportunity,to squirt the best boolits. Mainly because that is how one arranges "luck".

Kreedmire case capacity,is 260 case capacity,they are birds of a feather. The differences lie in the Kreedmire,being a far better mechanical design,with some inherent advantages slated to same and all less concession. Coupled with same,is the advantage of some exceptional quality brass and though Lapooey assuredly crafts 260,7-08 and 308 Virgins...Kreedmire boasts Lapooey there too,but also Alpha and it is fhuqking incredible(cases weigh in average within 1/10gr of eachother). For them that fret,Alpha's enjoy a large rifle pocket.

Alpha Virgin Kreedmire consistency is rather remarkable and I've shot more than a few chamberings and in more than a few flavors of brass. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now as "trimming" and other "worries" go,I'd again bank upon exceptional Virgins,housed in exceptional mechanical design.

L-R: Hornie 243Win Virgin,Alpha Kreedmire,Lapooey 308 Virgin formed to 260AI.

[Linked Image]

The Kreedmire's design,nicely straightens thangs out and orients all well. Conjoin same with dies of repute and a shred of sense and there's nothing to trim. Doubly so,when the opening move is Alpha and their uncanny Virgin uniformity. Hint.

Now as performance goes,the 260/Kreedmire will do like thangs at like pressure,in like length barrels...if only because they are like case capacity. What ain't like,is their COAL latitude and inherent abilities to toss like boolits,at a like COAL. Either/both throated/twisted right and feeding from a COAL trough slated to same,will connect alotta dots. None of which is Rocket Surgery.

Here's where I always default to: If I can gun like capacity,at shorter case length and reap straighter casewalls,increased shoulder angle,retain an existing boltface and enjoy like mag capacity,I'm gonna be beating that fhuqking drum. I'll retain performance,typically enjoy reduced SD/ES and have more latitude in regards to throating/COAL harmony. Schit don't get ANY better or easier than that. Hint.

So coming full circle,with a High Zoot Custom 260AI in one hand and another of the ilk in Kreedmire in my other,what the fhuqk would I do? I'd happily lean on the Kreed's inherent mechanical advantages,shorten it's spout,run happily with it's performance/precision and do so with like flight trajectories with every press of the trigger,because it falls outta da' box "formed". Yep...my 24" 1-8" Hart 260AI has a 200fps advantage with 147 ELD's at 2900fps,over my 21" Kreedmire with same. Big fhuqking deal,I'll easily make that back up in ES/SD and a MQ Fixed Fhuqker really don't give a schit where you glance the windshield,to correlate POA/POI intersections. It'll happily reach the 1150yd line on the windshield from a 225yd zero and 5 Mils of wind don't transpire in 10mph FV conditions until the 2225yd line. The modest recoil,modest report and trajectory constants of gunning a killer case design offa da' shelf,don't hurt the equation either. Hint.

No thang to gun both side by each in like conditions and extoll the virtues of each(along with a few others). I prolly do so daily. Hint.

[Linked Image]

When talking Flyweights,one is gonna do more inherent favors by reducing recoil,than he is adding to same...when talking attributes so similar by nature. Less barrel length and good balance,along with reduced recoil and exceedingly modest ES/SD will do more mechanical favors than "saving" having to look 1 Mil elsewhere on the windshield for 1000yd POA/POI intersection. Hint.

I'll HAPPILY trade the reduction in barrel length/weight,for the transition from say LW mounting system,to sumptin' that ain't gonna fhuqking break. Mainly because I've broken a schit load of mounting systems. Hint.

Everyone gets hung up on the schit that matters the least,which while VERY fhuqking amusing,simply do not make any fhuqking sense,simply because it cannot. Keep the horse in front of the cart,focus trigger time,give boolits more than a passing thunk and the platform will never not shine brightly. Hint.

Being forced to build upon a .473" NULA Donor for a Utility Killing Rifle,I'd want a 21" Kreedmire in 1-8",wearing a spout of my choosing and throated to kiss a 147ELD at 2.890" COAL. Feed/function would be assured,mechanical design and killer brass are in check,there's room to chase lands and because the platform would be fhuqking FUN to shoot,one would haveta be careful not to get too fhuqking good with it,so schit were no longer "fair". Hint.

Shoot the fhuqking thing out...rinse and repeat.

Not much to it.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
As per always...boolits matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps.

My "trouble" is,I've shot/got it all. As 6.5's go for serious pursuits,I'd cut right to the fhuqking chase and bank upon the one which presented me the best opportunity,to squirt the best boolits. Mainly because that is how one arranges "luck".

Kreedmire case capacity,is 260 case capacity,they are birds of a feather. The differences lie in the Kreedmire,being a far better mechanical design,with some inherent advantages slated to same and all less concession. Coupled with same,is the advantage of some exceptional quality brass and though Lapooey assuredly crafts 260,7-08 and 308 Virgins...Kreedmire boasts Lapooey there too,but also Alpha and it is fhuqking incredible(cases weigh in average within 1/10gr of eachother). For them that fret,Alpha's enjoy a large rifle pocket.

Alpha Virgin Kreedmire consistency is rather remarkable and I've shot more than a few chamberings and in more than a few flavors of brass. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Now as "trimming" and other "worries" go,I'd again bank upon exceptional Virgins,housed in exceptional mechanical design.

L-R: Hornie 243Win Virgin,Alpha Kreedmire,Lapooey 308 Virgin formed to 260AI.

[Linked Image]

The Kreedmire's design,nicely straightens thangs out and orients all well. Conjoin same with dies of repute and a shred of sense and there's nothing to trim. Doubly so,when the opening move is Alpha and their uncanny Virgin uniformity. Hint.

Now as performance goes,the 260/Kreedmire will do like thangs at like pressure,in like length barrels...if only because they are like case capacity. What ain't like,is their COAL latitude and inherent abilities to toss like boolits,at a like COAL. Either/both throated/twisted right and feeding from a COAL trough slated to same,will connect alotta dots. None of which is Rocket Surgery.

Here's where I always default to: If I can gun like capacity,at shorter case length and reap straighter casewalls,increased shoulder angle,retain an existing boltface and enjoy like mag capacity,I'm gonna be beating that fhuqking drum. I'll retain performance,typically enjoy reduced SD/ES and have more latitude in regards to throating/COAL harmony. Schit don't get ANY better or easier than that. Hint.

So coming full circle,with a High Zoot Custom 260AI in one hand and another of the ilk in Kreedmire in my other,what the fhuqk would I do? I'd happily lean on the Kreed's inherent mechanical advantages,shorten it's spout,run happily with it's performance/precision and do so with like flight trajectories with every press of the trigger,because it falls outta da' box "formed". Yep...my 24" 1-8" Hart 260AI has a 200fps advantage with 147 ELD's at 2900fps,over my 21" Kreedmire with same. Big fhuqking deal,I'll easily make that back up in ES/SD and a MQ Fixed Fhuqker really don't give a schit where you glance the windshield,to correlate POA/POI intersections. It'll happily reach the 1150yd line on the windshield from a 225yd zero and 5 Mils of wind don't transpire in 10mph FV conditions until the 2225yd line. The modest recoil,modest report and trajectory constants of gunning a killer case design offa da' shelf,don't hurt the equation either. Hint.

No thang to gun both side by each in like conditions and extoll the virtues of each(along with a few others). I prolly do so daily. Hint.

[Linked Image]

When talking Flyweights,one is gonna do more inherent favors by reducing recoil,than he is adding to same...when talking attributes so similar by nature. Less barrel length and good balance,along with reduced recoil and exceedingly modest ES/SD will do more mechanical favors than "saving" having to look 1 Mil elsewhere on the windshield for 1000yd POA/POI intersection. Hint.

I'll HAPPILY trade the reduction in barrel length/weight,for the transition from say LW mounting system,to sumptin' that ain't gonna fhuqking break. Mainly because I've broken a schit load of mounting systems. Hint.

Everyone gets hung up on the schit that matters the least,which while VERY fhuqking amusing,simply do not make any fhuqking sense,simply because it cannot. Keep the horse in front of the cart,focus trigger time,give boolits more than a passing thunk and the platform will never not shine brightly. Hint.

Being forced to build upon a .473" NULA Donor for a Utility Killing Rifle,I'd want a 21" Kreedmire in 1-8",wearing a spout of my choosing and throated to kiss a 147ELD at 2.890" COAL. Feed/function would be assured,mechanical design and killer brass are in check,there's room to chase lands and because the platform would be fhuqking FUN to shoot,one would haveta be careful not to get too fhuqking good with it,so schit were no longer "fair". Hint.

Shoot the fhuqking thing out...rinse and repeat.

Not much to it.

Hint....................

Ha!

Un fhuqking beleivable how you can so eloquently dash my dreams of owning a 260ai in favor of the inferior Kreedmire, lol!

Thanks stick, but wouldn't a 260 AI stretched out to 2.950 give it an edge. Not to mention that I doubt I'll see any Alpha brass in Alberta.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RBO, I've shot 6.5-308, 260, 6.5x55, Creedmoor, and 47.

Long and short Action.

What are you trying to accomplish with this rifle?

One fella used his 47 with around a 17" bbl to wax a nice buck at 550 yds, and another guy here with a 47 dropped his elk just under 1k.

So again, curious about your intended use? Game/paper? Ranges?

IC B3

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 65BR
RBO, I've shot 6.5-308, 260, 6.5x55, Creedmoor, and 47.

Long and short Action.

What are you trying to accomplish with this rifle?

One fella used his 47 with around a 17" bbl to wax a nice buck at 550 yds, and another guy here with a 47 dropped his elk just under 1k.

So again, curious about your intended use? Game/paper? Ranges?

I have a Nula model 24 chambered in 280ai, it's probably the best all round hunting rifle I have. Last fall I had a client that had a great hunting trip so he asked me what I want. The easy part was telling him I want a Nula in a model 20, the hard part is figuring out what chamber. I know I want a 6.5 but picking the cartridge is tough for this one.

What I want it for- mostly deer, some coyotes, the odd elk and maybe a moose, and always shooting targets but not in competition. I'll have the 280ai for when I target moose and elk, but sometimes while hunting deer those buggers show up so I'll want something that'll work on them in a pinch. I hunt where the prairies meet the big woods so shots can be close or stretch out quite a ways.

Basically I want a gun that's fun to shoot and capable of killin stuff out to 700-800yds.

D
D
Good article on the 260 AI. A little dated but...

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek046/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once ogives are above casemouths,the "magical" extra COAL and "special" long throats that are Fantasized about,are simply crushed in Reality.

One could crowd an OEM 260 SALAMI throat near 2.950" with some slickery projectiles and gun the whopping "difference" between that COAL and say sumptin' different at 2.850". The greater COAL will see an increase in Precision,if the guy running the press has a fhuqking clue,but their velocities will track at like pressure. Same goes 260 Aye-Eye. Rest assured,that .100" in seating depth,do not change velocity at like pressure.

I cain't speak as to who can procure what,as all I can speak to is that which exists and extrapolate it to other things that exist,mainly because I shoot it all.(grin)

If all I could get on the Kreedmire side of the fence was Lapooey brass,I'd take the "hit" and keep on chooglin',as I've faith in their wares. That's what we in da' bidness call an "understatement". Alpha simply rates a thunk,due it's splendor.

On the other hand,Hornady brass is like Norma/Nosler,in that it is routinely schit in uniformity,rather typically soft and thin skinned. Them ain't accolades,nor advantages,though some folks swoon schit...which never ain't not fhuqking funny. I'll happily leave the Fluff and drive the GOOD stuff instead.

Now what extended COAL will in fact do,is allow a greater spectrum of projectiles an opportunity to smooch lands,given the same throat. It's a Mind Fhuqk for many,that sleeker projectiles of vastly superior aero-form(BC),will always require a greater COAL in relation to Ping Pong Balls in a given throat. So everyone is in a mindless fhuqking hurry to do the "special long throat" thing,which is the dumbest fhuqking move one can make. Throat modest,give bullets a thunk and bask in the sanctity of a magfed Smooch with the GOOD stuff. I've NEVER had a throat that was "too short",but could write 100 Books,make 37 Movies and pen 200 Songs on them that were sure as fhuqk too long. Hint.

None of this schit is Rocket Surgery,but folks are lined up around the block,to get in a hurry and fhuqk EASY schit up. Hell Jim Kobble is now building Kreedmire's on 375 H&H receivers and wouldn't know a throat,unless she got punched in same. Laughing!

So you can go as bonkers as you please and that is certainly your business and your right...though I wouldn't.(grin) Less is very often,a whole schit load more. Hint.

Slow your fhuqking roll,think BULLETS first,put an exceptionally well designed mechanical vessel in your nice little action,throat it modestly,barrel it modestly,twist it with reserve RPM and let the dots connect them fhuqking self. You'll reap a literally Killer Parcel that is fun to shoot,it will be of mild mannerisms and blow your fhuqking mind,if you scope it right(6X MQ or bust).

You are thrilled with your 280AI's performance,but don't state which boolits you are whistling through same. I just might happen to shoot a wee bit in .284" too,so extrapolation(s) is easy. Let's grant the courtesy that you are slinging 162A-Max at 2925fps ala 280AI,if only for conversation. With a 200yd zero,it'll do thusly with a Litz default.

400yds drop is 18",drift in 10mph FV is 8" and 2365fps impact.
600yds drop is 61",drift is 19" and 2108fps
1000yds drop is 251",drift is 61" and 1641fps

Now let's muse a Kreedmire zero'd same with a 147 ELD at 2700fps.

400yds drop is 21",drift is 8" and 2221fps impact.
600yds drop is 71",drift is 19" and 2000fps.
1000yds is 284" drop,59" drift and 1592fps.

So here is where I'm at. I could give a fhuqk less about "giving up" .9 Mil of ele correction at the 1000yd line,by gunning a short action,instead of a long action. The 2" drift difference at the 1000yd line is another "hit" I'll happily work with. The 50fps Kreedmire impact velocity advantage at the 1000yd line,don't piss me off either.

That of course is a generalization,because you do not state that which you fling in the 280AI. My SAFE assumption is that the schit you are slinging,is well shy of 162'Max BC/velocity,so the Kreedmire slaps it silly. I've gots me a "hunch" that the Kreedmire is a fhuqk of a LOT more fun to shoot,is certainly handier and dandier,while also boasting superior brass,reduced ES/SD and 10 outta 10 folks will hit better with it,due them thangs and noise. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.(grin)

I've seen it/done it,shot it/got it. Re-hint.

Is the Kreedmire THE end all,be all do ALL,Magical Fhuqker?!? Nope. It simply maximizes case capacity in it's case length(the "dreaded" AI ploy over da' counter),has superb projectiles available to it and it is a breeze to meld those attributes into a Dirty Fhuqking GOOD Platform. Recoil is veddy veddy modest,ES/SD is veddy veddy modest,brass is outstanding,it is an easy fit given the .473" boltface,Factory support/logistics are sensational(brass/dies/ammo/etc.) and it is a great way to reliably Deal Death. The "trouble" is as cited prior,that the fhuqking thing will be FUN to shoot,so by default you'll naturally gravitate to gunning it more and more. On top of that,the sensational performance will set yet another hook and it'll be difficult to set aside and grab a long action insteada. Hint.(grin)

800yds ain't even 1st gear for a 21" Kreedmire. That's a sub 5.5 Mil correction,from the 200yd zero and a literal hipshot.

Sooooo...you could certainly squirt better BC's from your 280AI and the 162 ELD is a great first pitch(like recoil as the A-Max,yet better aero-form). The 180 ELD is a pretty big hit,pun be intended. While I get that them thangs will of course sway the cart,I'd just as seen shoot even more 147's with a smile on my face,because she's a whooollleeeeeee bunch more fun to take for a spin...especially in Flyweights. A 8" 7 Kreedmire prolly wouldn't suck.

[Linked Image]

NOTHING matters more than boolit selection and trigger time,so keep it simple,fun and LET schit work for you...NOT against you.

Hint.....................

BR,

The Kreedmire is the most,for the least and them ain't bad "odds".

Couple same with trigger time and it it'd be impossible to keep the "luck" in check............

'71,

Terry shoots a smidge and he's a no-bullschitter,but them was pre-Kreed Days and of course boolits have gotten better too.

In a nutshell,the Kreedmire is a 6.5-250AI,which is how/why it dupes 260 SALAMI case capacity. Kreedmire COAL advantages mean more to me,than the case capacity increase inherent a 260AI in comparison to it. Mainly because I shoot both. Hint.

A smattering of a couple/few things I shoot,which scratches the surface.

L-R: 223,223AI,22 Grendel,22-250,22-250AI,270,6 Grendel,6BR,6XC,243Win,243Win AI,6.5 Kreedmire,6-284

[Linked Image]

Keep schit simple and shoot the fhuqk outta it.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I went back and forth on a Forbes rebarrel to either 6.5 Creed or 260AI. Plain 260 was never in the running as the Creed is a better mousetrap. Weighting the pro's/con's on each, with a 3" mag box I went 260AI...by the slightest margin. If I'd been planning on shooting ANY factory ammo or had a standard short action mag box length I'd have been Creedmire all the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RBO - you are on the right track and will be well served with a good 6.5. Good advice above.

If you might ever use factory ammo, or sell it, the Creedmoor is ideal. If you like to handload and do R&D - the 260 AI or http://www.6mmar.com/65_SuperLR.php might be your fancy.

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I really want a 260ai, but ol' Stick sure puts up a convincing argument. Now it's got me wondering how much I want to prep vs how much I want to shoot. Out to 700yds I don't think an animal will tell the difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to go wrong between the two. I can tell you that you'll have an easier time finding something in the .308 family from Lapua to neck down to form a false shoulder for the .260AI, than either Lapua or Alpha Creed brass, though. Prep involves a simple pass through the sizer die. FF loads will shoot well, so no worries there.

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Hard to go wrong between the two. I can tell you that you'll have an easier time finding something in the .308 family from Lapua to neck down to form a false shoulder for the .260AI, than either Lapua or Alpha Creed brass, though. Prep involves a simple pass through the sizer die. FF loads will shoot well, so no worries there.

I already talked to Clay, no problem to have Lapua brass here for the Creedmoor long before the rifle lands. I think in time the Creedmoor ammo will be abundant everywhere like 308 is now, maybe just take another 10yrs or so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RBO
I really want a 260ai, but ol' Stick sure puts up a convincing argument. Now it's got me wondering how much I want to prep vs how much I want to shoot. Out to 700yds I don't think an animal will tell the difference.

It is hard to argue with Stick, logically or grammatically.

RBO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by RBO

It is hard to argue with Stick, logically or grammatically.

He would have made one hell of a pirate that's for sure!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,324
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.