Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd be real happy to get the pants in plain ol' od green!!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kute,

The ASAT is based on browns...but it's base light brown really takes in and "reflects" whatever cover you are in...kinda chameleon like. They have a 3-d leafy version that just plain make you invisible. It is a very effective camo.

P
P
Kute, I bought the pants last year and they're great. The only concern is they are low cut at the waist. This works great for backpacking with a waistbelt, but they might not fit everybody.

When I ordered them, they were shipped by DHL... I believe...anyway one of the big trans border shippers. The cost was close to $50 for shipping. I phoned the guys at Sitka about it and they suggested that next time I ordered to do so by phone and ask to have it shipped USPS which is way cheaper and you don't pay a customs brokerage fee. Hope this helps.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Used the Sitka gear extensively last year for Goat, Mule Deer, and Elk Hunting. I bought most of their clothing stuff because I like tech clothing. The best pieces for me were the vest and pants. The base layering piece and fleece pieces are OK but not necessary. I would buy merino wool instead. Warm weather bow hunting will be their main use for me. The pants are great...very comfortable and sized a little small. They fit me great even w/ the low ride waist. The jacket was used a lot but I'm still not sure if I would buy it again. A lot of money and bulk for basically a wind jacket w/ minimal insulation ie... (not waterproof ). I kept bringing a rain jacket with me for just in case. I talked w/ the Sitka boys last fall and they mentioned that a very lightweight / quiet 100% rain jacket was in the works. I would probably buy this instead of the 90% jacket that I have. I guess the 90% jacket is just that...perfect for 90% of the time.

my .01$ anyway....not even worth the typical .02$

Hiwallman

Last edited by Hiwallman; 01/21/07.
VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hiwallman -- I did get a chance to try on a set of their lightweight rain shell and pants and the Sportsmans Expo in Salt Lake this weekend. Seemed like it would work well as long as it's as waterproof and breathable as they claim. I agree with you, the jacket doesn't seem that useful to me as I'd have to carry raingear anyway.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
VTi,

Did they have any other "new" stuff there you could tell us about?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
VTi,
Please tell us more!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stopped by the booth at the Expo and was quite impressed. Most notable for me was the inclusion of non-camo items on the same garments! The green and 'tan' they had were quite muted. Finally! I'd think the 90% jacket would be quite handy in the intermountain west where getting terribly soaked aren't that common. Plus, they seem water resistant enough to me that coupling them with a light piece of rain gear, even worn underneath for noise, would keep one quite dry. I'm a big fan of the soft shell materials for hunting that involves a lot of moving my carcass across the country. I don't remember seeing a 100% waterproof item, but the guy I talked very briefly with said they're in the works.

One thing that was quite suprising for me is how light the garments felt. Definitely lighter than the MicroTex (and more weatherproof IMO) I wore this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do the pants have excessively large cargo pockets on the side?....the kind that drag in the shin tangle?....I hate cargo pockets and Cabela's designers seem to have a fetish for them.....Cabela's Micro-Tex has the worst pockets of any hunting garment I've ever owned IMO....I usually screw up some expensive pants in camp by trying to cut off cargo pockets with a hunting knife.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The cargo pockets are VERY sleek......they will expand, but, nothing like the cargo pockets on BDU's....

IC B3

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Guys. Sorry for the delay, I've been away. Basically, one of the "new" items that stood out to me was the rain gear. It was very light, I believe they said 16oz for size large. The jacket was pullover style with chest pockets and a kangaroo pocket. Relatively quiet considering it is a 2.5 ply waterproof material with no liner. The other new item I saw there was their original gaments but in ASAT camo. I got a good brochure there that outlines all their stuff also, including their new items. If some of you would like maybe a picture of the pages of the brochure showing the new items, let me know.

Rob

H
hmt Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
we would of course love pics !!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Love to see pics of the new stuff!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pics would be GOOD!

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No problem guys, give me a minute.

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The new items in the brochure not on the website are:
-- Downpour series jacket and pants.
-- 90% Pant to match the jacket, the previous pants were "mountain pants" (still available of course).
-- Timberline Expedition Bottoms insulating underwear.
-- ASAT camo which you can see is available as an option, even though no pics.

Let me know if you'd like anything else. I only took pics of the new gear not on the website.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/rdebernardi/Web_IMG_5416.jpg[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy Cow! $500 for the downpoor jacket and pants? $200 for the 90% pants? The stuff looks good but initial impressions are that the price is way too steep, no matter how well it performs. No Sitka gear for this Alaskan, just too many other products out there that work great without the outrageous price tag.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
VTi,
Thanks for posting these pics!!

I am so glad they are gonna be offering non-camo versions of this stuff! I will definitely be ordering the mountain pants in green!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sweet, thanks.

VTi Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No problem guys. When I need info, this is the place I come to... so when I can offer some info, it's my pleasure. Take care.

Rob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 49 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,316
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.