Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

It is possible to prove a negative, but the depends upon careful definitions regarding that which id being disproved. Christians can't even agree upon a definition of their God, let along a theology. Heck as evidenced in this thread you can't even agree how the book of Genesis should be interpreted regarding the age of the earth.

During these discussions this leads to "moving the goal posts", where every time you disprove a particular theistic definition of a god (or spirituality etc) they change the definition mid argument. A classic example of this is how the homes of gods have moved. THey used to be tops of mountains, now that we've visited those peaks, it morphed into the sky, until we could fly, when it became space. Now that we've left the atmosphere it's "beyond time and space".

In other words most theistic claims have morphed to claims that can be asserted without evidence, and that which can be asserted without evidence, and be dismissed without evidence. This is percisely what happened earlier in this thread where some Christians admitted they could neither define, nor present any evidence for their claims that could be independently corroborated.

Excellent post, AS.

As you well know, the absolute foundational bedrock of Christianity (indeed, all religions) is the doctrine of unfalsifiability. They have had thousands of years to develop a worldview and theology that is beyond any true evidence apart from emotion and vague 'feelings'. This, despite the fact that their holy book of 'revelation' repeatedly describes physical manifestations and interactions with the physical realm by their deity.

There is not one aspect of religion that can be put to the test (designedly so) thus allowing any and all specious claims to made with impunity and defended simply by claiming 'you must believe'...

Is it any wonder we live in a world of 'alternative facts' and doublespeak?

Truly, we have always been at war with Eastasia.....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

[Linked Image]

Was the stuff on RR's lower lip and chin suppose to simulate a colander facial?

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
And this is from the same person interpreting the same Bible who claims the earth is 6,000 years old and Evolution is a fiction?

You use a fallacy of logic (ad hominin attack) instead of accepting the claim of the Bible you are discussing; and you claim you know what the Bible says. blush

No,

I'm providing an example of your faulty reasoning, and why on this subject you cannot be taken seriously.

You didn't prove anything. I gave examples from God's Word that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament. You didn't refute the claim. You tried to discredit the messenger.

You said you would accept proof that God exists if it is available. You don't, though. There are millions of people whose lives have changed overnight because they came to a realization Jesus is their Savior. But you don't like this kind of proof.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I can't prove God exists, you can't prove God doesn't exist.

Lets move on...

The burden of proof is on the party making the positive claim. In our criminal courts the question is not guilty or innocent, it's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt or not. The defense has no burden to prove innocence.

We're not in a criminal court and I'm under no burden to prove anything.

I'm asking you a simple question: Can you prove there is No God?

This is a simple "Yes" or "No" question.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Well then, if you won't/can't stand behind what you say with facts, why should anything you say have any veracity at all?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Yes, my friend, but you refuse to open yourself up to the idea of another dimension in our Universe.

You would not have to "unlearn" all the knowledge you have gained about the physical world, you know, to become a believer.

IOW......you don't have to agree with Ringman about the nature of God.😀😀

Try reading Kent's post with a completely open mind.

Please.

I've done no such thing. I'm open to any evidence you might have for another dimension. If you have it, I'd really like to see your Nobel Prize and let you buy me a cold beer with your prize money.

Radio waves exist in another dimension,

Using your 5 senses you can't prove the existence of radio waves but yet they are there.
Can you see radio waves?
Can you smell radio waves?
Can you taste radio waves?
Can you feel radio waves?
Now for the kicker...
Can you hear radio waves?........you need a special antennae and speaker to hear them.
No without those you cannot hear radio waves either.
But yet they exist.
So it all falls on Faith, but yet people like as always try to disprove in the Existence of God without any substantiated proof either.
Using the analogy of a court room can go both ways too as

Actually, I can see radio waves with the aid of an oscilloscope.

[Linked Image]

We could set up an experiment where, in a controlled environment we turned on a signal source, and watched the scope, turning the source on and off demonstrating their effects on the scope. We could then turn on a receiver and play the signal while at the same birth. time monitoring it.

Heck we could get some higher frequency radio waves, put them in a microwave oven and heat some coffee, once again demonstrating their existence.

No faith is required to believe in radio waves, they are demonstrated every day.

BUT...... you had to believe in the POSSIBILITY of radio waves before you could design the equipment to capture them.

The same holds true for God....... except he furnished you with the necessary equipment at birth.

You just won't use it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by MojoHand

It is possible to prove a negative, but the depends upon careful definitions regarding that which id being disproved. Christians can't even agree upon a definition of their God, let along a theology. Heck as evidenced in this thread you can't even agree how the book of Genesis should be interpreted regarding the age of the earth.

During these discussions this leads to "moving the goal posts", where every time you disprove a particular theistic definition of a god (or spirituality etc) they change the definition mid argument. A classic example of this is how the homes of gods have moved. THey used to be tops of mountains, now that we've visited those peaks, it morphed into the sky, until we could fly, when it became space. Now that we've left the atmosphere it's "beyond time and space".

In other words most theistic claims have morphed to claims that can be asserted without evidence, and that which can be asserted without evidence, and be dismissed without evidence. This is percisely what happened earlier in this thread where some Christians admitted they could neither define, nor present any evidence for their claims that could be independently corroborated.

Excellent post, AS.

As you well know, the absolute foundational bedrock of Christianity (indeed, all religions) is the doctrine of unfalsifiability. They have had thousands of years to develop a worldview and theology that is beyond any true evidence apart from emotion and vague 'feelings'. This, despite the fact that their holy book of 'revelation' repeatedly describes physical manifestations and interactions with the physical realm by their deity.

There is not one aspect of religion that can be put to the test (designedly so) thus allowing any and all specious claims to made with impunity and defended simply by claiming 'you must believe'...

I disagree. The main tenet of Christianity, or the "bedrock" is NOT the "doctrine of unfalsifiabilty." One who makes this statement has little knowledge of Christianity.

The main tenet is Jesus. Pure and simple. Part of the triune God who came as man and provided the propitiation for our sin. And then resurrected.

btw, I have never heard of the doctrine of "unfalsifiability." Sounds like nonsense from one who is ignorant.

There is also much more in common amongst the Protestant denominations than you seem to realize. If you would like to "major in minors" then you are free to do so but you will only impress the uniformed. You may want to peruse the home pages of the many websites offered up by local churches across the globe. Most will have a "tenets of the faith" or "what we believe" section. These pages are remarkable in their similarity.

Someone may mouth off and say "Christians can't decide what they believe" and then point to issues like age of the earth. Gimme a break. That is pure majoring in minors. I don't think you will find issues like "age of the earth" on very many "what we believe pages."

Your post is just nonsensical and indicates a general lack of knowledge and simple ignorance.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 03/12/17.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Another Jew (this guy strict Orthodox) said a similar thing. He admitted to having no real belief in what Judaism (supposedly) teaches. I was shocked,
because he and his wife were very strict Orthodox in their practices. He told me that this was the norm amongst Orthodox Jews,

I dont doubt that at all, staunch jews or catholics or muslims for that matter, are deeply committed to such outward appearance role playing
which is expected of them. Usually its enough to appease the others who are usually playing the same silly facade game. I say that as person
who grew up in the roman catholic environment at home (RC on both sides of family lines) , catholic private school and community among Irish
and Mediterraneans which is about as Catholic as it gets....we also had long term jewish family friends & neighbors...whos weddings, funerals
and family gatherings we went to.

Clergy themselves may not necessarily believe the doctrine they push onto their religious constituents, it just another job and lifestyle choice
they happened to have selected over something else. ..some quit the clergy and take their smoke and mirrors marketing-sales skills to another
conman career like politics.

...every time you disprove a particular theistic definition of a god (or spirituality etc) they change the definition mid argument.
A classic example of this is how the homes of gods have moved. THey used to be tops of mountains, now that we've visited those peaks, it morphed into the sky,
until we could fly, when it became space. Now that we've left the atmosphere it's "beyond time and space".

So science has been proven responsible for altering some supposedly spiritual peoples spiritual perspective.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And yet you always ask others to prove He does exist.

AS does so in completely reasonable manner, and why would any devout Christian baulk at supporting their own case argument
while choosing to engaging on a thread such as this?...why would they also choose see it as an unreasonable request?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The only ones arguing are the amateur theologians and the Misodeitics.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.....you had to believe in the POSSIBILITY of radio waves before you could design the equipment to capture them.

The same holds true for God....... except he furnished you with the necessary equipment at birth.

it's THIS sorta' language that makes reading this kinda' thread worthwhile.

Kudos on succinct, to the point, and bang on BREVITY.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, my friend, but you refuse to open yourself up to the idea of another dimension in our Universe.

You would not have to "unlearn" all the knowledge you have gained about the physical world, you know, to become a believer.

IOW......you don't have to agree with Ringman about the nature of God.😀😀

Try reading Kent's post with a completely open mind.

Please.

I've done no such thing. I'm open to any evidence you might have for another dimension. If you have it, I'd really like to see your Nobel Prize and let you buy me a cold beer with your prize money.

Radio waves exist in another dimension,

Using your 5 senses you can't prove the existence of radio waves but yet they are there.
Can you see radio waves?
Can you smell radio waves?
Can you taste radio waves?
Can you feel radio waves?
Now for the kicker...
Can you hear radio waves?........you need a special antennae and speaker to hear them.
No without those you cannot hear radio waves either.
But yet they exist.
So it all falls on Faith, but yet people like as always try to disprove in the Existence of God without any substantiated proof either.
Using the analogy of a court room can go both ways too as

Actually, I can see radio waves with the aid of an oscilloscope.

[Linked Image]

We could set up an experiment where, in a controlled environment we turned on a signal source, and watched the scope, turning the source on and off demonstrating their effects on the scope. We could then turn on a receiver and play the signal while at the same birth. time monitoring it.

Heck we could get some higher frequency radio waves, put them in a microwave oven and heat some coffee, once again demonstrating their existence.

No faith is required to believe in radio waves, they are demonstrated every day.

BUT...... you had to believe in the POSSIBILITY of radio waves before you could design the equipment to capture them.

You just won't use it.

Curdog,

As most people born in America at my time, my original default position was that God existed. However, when I examined the evidence all I found was a lack of evidence. So you assertion that I've never believed in the possibility is just wrong.

As for believing in the possibility of radio waves before the development of the first radio, Maxwell had the mathematical and theoretical model worked out in 1864. In addition the propagation of radio waves through other median such as railroad track, had already been demonstrated prior to the first demonstration of what we would today call a radio.

Unlike what you are proposing for your god, there were beliefs based on evidence not faith.

As for the God of your faith, I'm still waiting for you to demonstrate that he exists.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does electricity look like?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I can't prove God exists, you can't prove God doesn't exist.

Lets move on...

The burden of proof is on the party making the positive claim. In our criminal courts the question is not guilty or innocent, it's guilty beyond a reasonable doubt or not. The defense has no burden to prove innocence.

I'm asking you a simple question: Can you prove there is No God?

This is a simple "Yes" or "No" question.

DW,

Since it appear you are not formally trained in logic, I was using the court room example to show how a delimma is approached. You address one prong at a time, and the burden of proof is on the party making the positive claim.

In logic, if you are making the positive claim (a god exists), and cannot provide sufficient evidence to support your claim, it is completely reasonable for the other party to reject your claim.

What you are attempting is a logical fallacy called "shifting the burden of proof".

As mentioned above, the theist begins by constructing a non-falsifiable version of their god(s), proving no proof for said god(s), then attempt to shift the burden of proof upon the other party.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
What does electricity look like?

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49

Excellent post, AS.

I disagree. The main tenet of Christianity, or the "bedrock" is NOT the "doctrine of unfalsifiabilty." One who makes this statement has little knowledge of Christianity.

The main tenet is Jesus. Pure and simple. Part of the triune God who came as man and provided the propitiation for our sin. And then resurrected.

btw, I have never heard of the doctrine of "unfalsifiability." Sounds like nonsense from one who is ignorant.

There is also much more in common amongst the Protestant denominations than you seem to realize. If you would like to "major in minors" then you are free to do so but you will only impress the uniformed. You may want to peruse the home pages of the many websites offered up by local churches across the globe. Most will have a "tenets of the faith" or "what we believe" section. These pages are remarkable in their similarity.

Someone may mouth off and say "Christians can't decide what they believe" and then point to issues like age of the earth. Gimme a break. That is pure majoring in minors. I don't think you will find issues like "age of the earth" on very many "what we believe pages."

Your post is just nonsensical and indicates a general lack of knowledge and simple ignorance.

TF

TF,

So are you saying the Christian Doctrine is falsifiable?

If it is falsifiable, describe what that would look like.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TF49

Excellent post, AS.

TF

TF,

So are you saying the Christian Doctrine is falsifiable?

If it is falsifiable, describe what that would look like.

Of course not. Do not try to put words in my mouth and restate the issue.

Many will typically avoid the main issue, which is one's relationship or lack thereof with Jesus, and then muck about with the minor controversies they feel comfortable with.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Starman

And yet you always ask others to prove He does exist.

AS does so in completely reasonable manner, and why would any devout Christian baulk at supporting their own case argument
while choosing to engaging on a thread such as this?...why would they also choose see it as an unreasonable request?

Straman,

There are those who set themselves up as the judge as to whether or not there is sufficient evidence to "prove God." It is a waste of time to attempt a proof of God to one who has already decided to reject the evidence. Surely you understand this.

As has been stated before, there does exist a proof of God. God goes to and does indeed reveal Himself to individuals. Now, you may reject this but the fact remains that it is true. Surely you can understand this.

AS is only here on this forum to influence others, perhaps like you, to believe there is no God. If there is "no God" there is no accountability. Note that some think that if they live their life without believing in God, that they somehow get a pass .....IF It turns out that God does exist and IF there is a judgment day.

Having said this, one can choose to ignore the evidence for the existence of God, but remember what one believes, even wholeheartedly,,does not change reality.

Last edited by TF49; 03/12/17.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've always been suspicious, at least in my own mind, that AS was sent here to educate us, to sharpen us, to teach us, to debate in a respectful manner. the end result is to help those who believe in god when they interact w/others out in the real world. they've been trained, educated, and enlightened as to "all" or at least to many of the arguments of the loyal opposition.

and for that we can all be thankful.

and AS sticks to his guns. that's a good sign right there.

one doesn't have to be a pastor, preacher, rabbi, cohen, levite, priest etc. to explore the spiritual side of life. one can do so as a lowly commoner while working 30 hours a week. people have the perfect right to explore all kinds of stuff, and walk away with their own conclusions.

the internet helps everyone along these lines. it's not perfect, but it's better to have it than not have it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"He is WITHIN YOU...... look not for Him elsewhere."

Focus on the "generic god" instead of the Christian God and you will find Him much harder to deny.

The fact that you choose to argue with your fellow creatures instead of with that "generic god" proves you are not, and never were, serious in your search.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 11 of 19 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (21, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.