-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Does anyone know when and why Doc's Gun Barn in Pocatello closed down? I found a news story tjat mentioned it being shut down. It's a shame...I used to go in there at least once a week ti see what would turn up. I liked A to Z Pawn in Blackfoot too.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They've been gone for over a year. No big loss, IMHO, poor selection, over priced, poor selection, and if you weren't one of "the guys", poor service. Oh, and crappy selection.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Big Bore Guns in Blackfoot is GTG. AtoZ isn't what it was...

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
By the way, if you're up in I.F. there's a few I'll hit. Ross Coin and Gun has lots of stuff, but don't expect much for CS.

Sportsman's warehouse and The Gun Shop are good IMO, as well.

Cabela's...meh...the miss the mark with this one, IMO.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
NTG: Maybe you can help me with the name of the gun shop in Idaho Falls that is just across the street from "WAL-MART" (the one just 2 blocks off of I-15 kind of on the west side of town).
Anyway I have done well there over the recent past but have not been there in nearly a year.
Its kind of a huvel looking place from the outside but OK inside and they sell lots of used stuff (guns and optics) which I love.
I have bought a LOT of guns and gear from Ski's there in Idaho Falls as well but I guess he is in semi-retirement now and only open a day or two a week and those are half days.
Haven't been in there for a while either but have come out of there with some real treasures (guns, scopes, reloading gear and ammunition magazines for hard to find applications)!
The folks at Ross Coin and Guns indeed DO have an attitude problem but when and where guns are concerned I can (and do!) ignore their personality problems - whilst a few of my friends in the shooting sports actually refuse to even go in that store?
I bought one of my most accurate Remington 700 Classics (and I have a LOT of them!) from the Ross store.
So I am glad I can so easily ignore ego bumpers.
Wish there was NO sales tax there in Idaho!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Skis was good... Their limited hours make it all but impossible now. The one across from that Walmart is called Steel guns and they been pretty good to deal with when I've been in there but I never bought from them.

The Gun Shop really is pretty good with lots of new and used. You should stop there if in town.

Big bore guns in Blackfoot his co-owned by a vet. Great guys, that know their stuff..not tons on the shelf, however. Tell them Nate sent you if you go in there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've only lived here a few years now, but I remember stopping by there a couple years ago and Doc's was closed with a sign on the door saying they had closed due to the owner's retirement.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I lived in Blackfoot in the middle 90s and I guess things have changed, even though I still look exactly the same when I see the mirror. Hehe...

AtoZ didn't have a huge selection of anything, really, but being a pawn shop there was some interesting stuff that went through those doors. The first time I went in there I had to step over someone's pet wolf. My uncle was working there at the counter part-time, so I knew when the good stuff that I could not afford was going to come out of pawn.

One of the greatest things that ever happened there was the day a fellow named Buck who worked the counter asked the owner, Lyle---who was a rather smallish man, if his mama dressed him in blue jeans when he was a pup. The answer was "sure, of course," and Buck's response was "Did she leave the zipper down so you could see where you were going?" Lyle disappeared into the back room and wouldn't come back out for a while.

Doc's was a good shop back in those days because there was always something unusual in the used rack. Doc would treat a guy right, too. I liked dealing with him. He had a great Winchester collection on the walls.

There was another shop a few blocks west of Doc's but I cannot recall the name. It was okay.

I remember Ski's up in IF too. Great selection. I still have one firearm that came out of that shop.

Unfortunately I never had money to spend, but I enjoyed being up in SE Idaho anyway. It was starvation wages that finally drove me out.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Red's Trading Post in Twin Falls is pretty good.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wasn't there some fellow who had a firearms business/FFL in his home in Pocatello some years ago?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
NTG: Maybe you can help me with the name of the gun shop in Idaho Falls that is just across the street from "WAL-MART" (the one just 2 blocks off of I-15 kind of on the west side of town).
Anyway I have done well there over the recent past but have not been there in nearly a year.
Its kind of a huvel looking place from the outside but OK inside and they sell lots of used stuff (guns and optics) which I love.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Steel Gun & Pawn

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Wasn't there some fellow who had a firearms business/FFL in his home in Pocatello some years ago?

Are you talking about this guy:
HUX

He opened this 1-2 years ago. I haven't been able to go to it yet...I'm not in Poky that much.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In Idaho Falls The Gun Shop is relatively new and has a good selection, a couple of knowledgeable sales folks (a rarity), I have spent a few dollars there. It is nice to see a small store go head to head with the big box sporting goods stores and hold their own.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NTG
Originally Posted by Wyogal

Are you talking about this guy:
HUX

He opened this 1-2 years ago. I haven't been able to go to it yet...I'm not in Poky that much.

Nope, Davy Crockets has been around for 20 or more years!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ski's is only open Thursday 12-3, Friday 12-3, and Saturday 10-3. Short hours but they do a lot of business in that time window...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,296
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.