Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Had a guy tell me that for every legit Rolex you see, you will encounter 7 or 8 fakes.
Also told me that some of the fakes are pretty darn good.

I dont care what people wear, but If I was offered a used Rolex at a very good price from a private seller,
It would have to first take it to a watch tech. I trusted for internal inspection...not to determine if its fake,
because I can easily do that by removing the caseback hoping to find a 3135 , but to determine mechanical condition.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Forgot to mention this, but if you wear a Rolex it emits a force field that deflects incoming small arms fire. It also causes the fuses for incoming HE projectiles to rendered inoperable.

That's real. It's because of how loud the badass is.

They are badass. Dunno about loud, I hardly notice it ticking anymore. Figure it finally got broke in?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned several. I don't currently have one. Every one of mine steamed up. That was the big thing about them, that they were waterproof and then that. The wife has two or three. I like upscale watches and have several others that if asked, I'd say were probably better quality. Rolex is a lot like John Deere, getting by on the name.

As to fakes...there are indeed some great ones out there, then there are others that keep better time than the "real" ones. A lot depends on the movement. Rolex used to make some Quartz watches-maybe they still do. A quartz will always outdo a mechanical for accuracy and care-free service. Many fakes are replicas of classic Rolex mechanical watches with the fakes having a quartz movement. Like a typical quartz watch, they are very accurate and worry-free, but the typical Quartz has a "click" to the movement whereas a mechanical is smoother on the second-hand, making these fakes easy to spot. I've never seen a Quartz Rolex faked. The really great fakes of Rolex though, will use something like an IWC movement-which many upscale watches also use. They are very hard to spot unless you open the case.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The most expensive Rolex I've ever seen was in the Rolex store in Singapore circa 1981. IIRC, it was a Submariner style in platinum or white gold and the face of the dial and the bezel were totally covered with teeny, tiny diamonds. I seem to remember it was around $45,000 (again in 1981 dollars). laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My days of watch watching are over. I get up when I feel like it and go to bed when I get tired. It wasn't always this way but retirement came with different standards.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Felt like I was splurging when I paid $100.00 for my Bulova. I had worn the Timex Ironman for years prior to that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really like Rolex's but...they are for status seekers who travel in circles where nobody knows anything about watches. Mechanical watch afficionados quickly tire of the Rolex brand as they are common and go with stuff like Omega, Breitling, Tag, etc. Antique guys like Zenith, Baume, etc. Jewelry people like Ulysse, Jaeger LeCoultre and those seeking the ultimate timepiece go with a Patek.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I want a really accurate reading, I check my mechanical Omega by my phone. lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have to hope the stinking phone is charged up though.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
" ... and those seeking the ultimate timepiece go with a Patek."

That's what the big boys down at the poolhall tell me. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I'd rather have a nice painting hanging on the wall but to each their own.

Why not have both, I have.... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have had one since 1986. Been on every hunt since then. Has went inside 30plus Deer. 2 Mt Goat hunts. Been part of who knows how many Grouse and Pheasants hunts. Lot of good times have been spent while it ticked away time. Have pissed away more than what it cost in booze. The watch was the better deal.

Finally started to stop, so had it worked on. It will be going when I'm not.

Last edited by battue; 03/19/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jorgeI

"Dogs playing pool" doesn't count.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I owned and operated a Licensed Rolex Agency in our store for many years. Rolex is a superb watch.

Karen has worn a Rolex Lady President for the last twenty-five years or so.

I wore Gents Presidents and Steel and Gold Rolexes for several years and finally settled on one I cobbled together. It's a stainless steel 16200 ... I replaced the dial and hands with those of a Submariner.

Hard to believe the stainless watch is now in excess of $7000. Still, it's a heck of a fine timepiece.

My "mongrel" watch is light, just the right size and I love the visible dial and hands. I'll post it below.

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

My kind of watch Steve, simple and to the point.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by jorgeI

"Dogs playing pool" doesn't count.

I'm sure it looks very nice in your den, I however prefer the poker playing dogs myself.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear an Omega Speedmaster pretty much every day. It's the watch that went into space with our astronauts and to the moon on every trip. I can't have a cell phone where I work and every time I look at it's a reminder of great things that can be accomplished if we envision a future and work towards it.

I wore this one for 350+ of my carrier landings and at least 1500 of my 2400 Prowler hours .We'll see what I do in retirement but pretty sure it won't involve a cell phone.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Rolex looks real.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What Rolex?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pugs
I wear an Omega Speedmaster pretty much every day. It's the watch that went into space with our astronauts and to the moon on every trip. I can't have a cell phone where I work and every time I look at it's a reminder of great things that can be accomplished if we envision a future and work towards it.

I wore this one for 350+ of my carrier landings and at least 1500 of my 2400 Prowler hours .We'll see what I do in retirement but pretty sure it won't involve a cell phone.

[Linked Image]
Please get a decent strap for that Speedmaster. It's a crime to have that thing on it.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.