Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
PFL= Partial Full-Length Sizing.

i.e.: only bumping the shoulder back about .001" using the full-length sizing die.

Hmmmm . . . I thought this was the correct way to full-length size.

My application of PFL is having the die backed out 1/2 to 1 full turn. You just want the case walls to be fully supported in the die. I don't want to change headspace one iota.

Eventually the case headspace will grow and the ammo won't fit in the chamber. You will surely want to change headspace one iota in this case.

HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have neck sized (only) since the mid '70's. Never had a problem. They are more accurate than the full-length sizing.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Eventually the case headspace will grow and the ammo won't fit in the chamber. You will surely want to change headspace one iota in this case.

I understand when I really need to FL vs PFL. I always run my fired cased thru my headspace gauge (my rifle's chamber) to determine whether I want/need to bump the shoulder.

You get to a point when FL sizing where you squeeze down on the body of the case enuff to push shoulder forward, necessitating the shoulder bump. I cannot understand why folks want to intentionally do this when it's not necessary - hence the 1/2 to 1 turn backoff on the FL die.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My experience mirrors others on this thread. If I neck size brass...it stays with that rifle for the duration (of course). There is no such thing as full length resizing neck sized brass in rifle "A", and getting it to work satisfactory in rifle "B", nine times out of ten. I have a good number of pristine neck sized 270 brass from a pre-64 that is pretty much useless to me now that I've traded that rifle off. I have another pre-64 270 now and, as expected, fl resizing the other brass was an exercise in futility.

Might try a collet die and see if that solves the dilemma.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only one of my rifles chambers snug after using the Lee collet die....it is my 280AI

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I understand when I really need to FL vs PFL. I always run my fired cased thru my headspace gauge (my rifle's chamber) to determine whether I want/need to bump the shoulder.

You get to a point when FL sizing where you squeeze down on the body of the case enuff to push shoulder forward, necessitating the shoulder bump. I cannot understand why folks want to intentionally do this when it's not necessary - hence the 1/2 to 1 turn backoff on the FL die.

So the fit of the case to the chamber will be the same rather than evolving firing to firing. The change in fit from "easy chambering" to "snug so bump next time" can cause POI shifts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another point about partial resizing by just backing the die off 1/2 to 1 turn from the shellholder is a lack of consistency.

Cases that go into the die a bit more forcefully, due to case variation or lube variation, will leave a larger gap between the die and the shellholder. Cases that resize easier will go further into the die by a few thousandths, showing a smaller gap between the die and the shellholder. With close observation, or with feeler gauges. you can see and confirm this difference.

If your case shoulders are very close to the end of the chamber, a good thing, this will explain why one cartridge chambers easily, while the next cartridge takes a little bit of force to chamber.

This slight inconsistency won't make a significant difference on big-game hunting ammo, but it can be entirely eliminated by using the Redding Competition Shell Holder kit.

http://redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&Itemid=15&id=35%3Acompetition-shellholder-sets,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/52...-308-winchester-30-06-springfield-45-acp

This is just one more rung on the rifle loony ladder, (LOL).

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 03/21/17.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks for the follow up. You let the case headspace grow on its own before bumping back.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mathman

So the fit of the case to the chamber will be the same rather than evolving firing to firing. The change in fit from "easy chambering" to "snug so bump next time" can cause POI shifts.

+1

Thanks mathman

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 73 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.