Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've got a 257 WBY Ultralight that might be what the OP is looking for.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The thing about Stick is that he has a wealth of knowledge in a limited, specialized area. When one does all their hunting and shooting in a specific locale, without experiencing different climates and hunting techniques, gear and techniques evolve for that specialized area and may not work worth a damn elsewhere.

For example, Stick’s use of H335. The stuff works fine in a climate which varies something like 35 degrees between average winter lows and average summer highs (SE Alaska). In parts of Montana that number changes to around 70-80 degrees difference, and that’s where H335 shows its temperature sensitivity. Nasty stuff, best used for burning ice off sidewalks.

Same thing with advocating the fixed power SWFAs for a mountain rifle. Great scopes, but bulky and have a tendency to not fit well in rifle scabbards. I’ve had the turrets spin while horseback with a scabbard, even with zero stops. So while they may work fine out of a boat, different story on a horseback mountain hunt.

So Stick’s advice should be taken for what it is - good advice for his specific uses, but much of his advice is not real practical for many of us.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's one reason I think turrets on a general purpose hunting suck. I will take ballistic reticle any day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt differently and hunt different types of places than Stick, but consider me as one that likes SWFAs on a backpack hunt. I've used them a bunch and haven't had an issue.

Tanner

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The thing about Stick is that he has a wealth of knowledge in a limited, specialized area. When one does all their hunting and shooting in a specific locale, without experiencing different climates and hunting techniques, gear and techniques evolve for that specialized area and may not work worth a damn elsewhere.

For example, Stick’s use of H335. The stuff works fine in a climate which varies something like 35 degrees between average winter lows and average summer highs (SE Alaska). In parts of Montana that number changes to around 70-80 degrees difference, and that’s where H335 shows its temperature sensitivity. Nasty stuff, best used for burning ice off sidewalks.

Same thing with advocating the fixed power SWFAs for a mountain rifle. Great scopes, but bulky and have a tendency to not fit well in rifle scabbards. I’ve had the turrets spin while horseback with a scabbard, even with zero stops. So while they may work fine out of a boat, different story on a horseback mountain hunt.

So Stick’s advice should be taken for what it is - good advice for his specific uses, but much of his advice is not real practical for many of us.

He very well may have a wealth of knowledge about shooting but so do lots of other People here, I've been hunting Alaska hard for over a decade now and I would t talk down to anybody for having less experience than me.

Calling people poor and stupid while bragging about all your toys is t the best way to make yourself look good. It dosent matter though, it's the Internet, it's probably the only place where stick feels important.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
I hunt differently and hunt different types of places than Stick, but consider me as one that likes SWFAs on a backpack hunt. I've used them a bunch and haven't had an issue.

Tanner

+1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

He very well may have a wealth of knowledge about shooting but so do lots of other People here, I've been hunting Alaska hard for over a decade now and I would t talk down to anybody for having less experience than me.

Calling people poor and stupid while bragging about all your toys is t the best way to make yourself look good. It docent matter though, it's the Internet, it's probably the only place where stick feels important.

I fully agree, and was not standing up for the guy’s behavior in any way, shape, or form.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Tanner

+1

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the lower profile, stiffer turrets of the SWFA 3-9 and 10x HD. The larger knobs of the cheaper fixed powers and 3-15 is where myself and several acquaintances have seen issues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Kimber MA in 270 w/Leupold 6x36 in Talleys comes in at 6-1....so sweet to handle and carry.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mitchell',

I've never not been me and there are countless wannabe's who've spent alotta time/effort in trying emulate me...which is never not funnier than fhuqk. More than a few is on this thread alone. Hint.

Only fair to grant folks oportunity,to shoot for the stars in sucha fashion.

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!...............

'PENNDOOSH,

As I cited plainly,NOBODY can "make" you look like a bigger DUMB Fhuqk than you can...by simply doing your "best". Congratulations?!?

Good luck on being the first CLUELESS Fhuqk,to TRY and Whine herself to her first clue.

It only come as a "surprise" to you,that I'm quite a little bit better in person. I'm at ease in speaking matter of factly,simply because facts fhuqking matter...to the astute. You Whining CLUELESS Fhuqks are always gonna find a "reason" to Whine and then poke your heads in the sand...then go FULL Fhuqking Retard with Imaginary Pretend Ignore. FUNNY schit!

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..........

MagnumDoosh,

I'll yet again feign my GREAT "surprise",that you are unable to cite ANYONE that "does" or "knows" less than you. Congratulations?!?

At least Imagination and Pretend are priced within your "means",so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt.

Ain't it a not so "curious" constant,that besides beings a CLUELESS Kchunt,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit?!? You musta "forgot" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore...yet again. Laughing!

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

RinB,

I can ONLY make sense,to those who have sense. Whining Clueless Kchunts will ALWAYS find reason(s) to Whine,but for some reason,go wayyyyyyyyy the fhuqk outta their way to skirt Facts and to fixate their Fluff instead.

I'm rather at ease in leading folks to water...but admittedly getta kick outta them refraining the badly needed hydration.(grin)

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!.............

Bradrica,

In 1000 lifetmes of TRYING,you'd never scratch the surface on the miles,hours,days,months and years I've spent Outdoors. Not that I don't getta kick outta your Haybale & Crocket Flatlanding "adventures". Congratulations?!?

Now ain't it a right proper Dichotomy,that the very things you DREAM daily about and cain't begin to connect a dot upon,don't even make my list of interests? Read that again. Now one more time. Laughing!

Perhaps wax a touch more eloquent upon the Sweet "Satisfactions" of spending a "Life" "living" vicariously and never being able to scratch the surface upon your Whinining Pursuits Of Interest. Bitchin' Vagina Monologue on how your "means","abilities" and "comprehension" have precluded you by default,from doing what others of interest knock out of the Park perpetually. FUNNY schit! Not much to say to a Whining CLUELESS Kchunt who's ALL hat and no Ranch,then laments the hilarity of her Realities. You go girl!

Your Safe Queen "exploits" are fhuqking HILARIOUS! You couldn't knock the "new" offa used pair of fhuqking points,you Prissy Princess.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................

'AU,

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you MUST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that you shut right the fhuqk up with any/all things germane and went right to a Window Licking Hissy Fit instead. You Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqks are a HOOT!

Don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

'winters,

Reality reliably collides with your Fantasy and ain'tcha' a "lucky" kchunt...in that Facts are of zero concern to your Fluff? Congratulations?!?

As great as I am...not even I can use wares until they exist. Do not let the poignant profundity of that,dispel the Delusions of your Imagination and it's Pretend. Hint. Laughing!

PLEASE find me "mistaken"...I assure you that your feeble attempt,will be funnier than fhuqk. HINT.

Just saying.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

JeffZero,

Dangle ONE picture of a post-adolescent Critter,that your version of "results" garnered,via your "prowess" and thorough "understanding" of The Rifle. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

Your Dumb Fhuqk rollcage to "protect" a $.99 plastic bubble,is fhuqking hilarious!

Pardon my having broken more LW's,than your scattered brain could begin to fhuqking fathom. Hint.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

But actual USE,is a factoid farrrrrrrrr different than your FLUFF. Hint.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

More than a few different platforms of course. Round count do funny things. I've shot out more barrels,than you've opened bullet boxes by yourself,in your "Life". Hint.

Laughing!

[Linked Image]

You be sure to "tell" me more and keep on flaunting your version of "results"...if only because it do not get any fhuqking FUNNIER,than you doing your "best". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

starsky,

It only took her (4) fhuqking tries and it's REALLY gonna up her "game"!

I'm fhuqking cryin'....I'm laughing soooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Wow +P++!

Bless her heart.

Laughing!.............

Sammo,

Ain't it a fhuqking hoot,that the CLOSEST you will ever come,is to read my every word and eyefhuqk my every pixel. You "lucky" kchunt! Congratulations?!?

Don't "forget" to tell yourself,that you "could too",as you "Live" vicariously.

The Haybale & Crockett Crowd,never fhuqking disappoint in their oblivious corroboration of their incredible fhuqking STUPIDITY.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

'12,

I've never seen or shot a 257Wby.

Pass the Kreedmire Montucky.

Hint.................

'goat,

Facts never ain't not practical,despite the fact,that your pointy head precludes dots bein' connected by default. Congratulations?!? Pun be intended. Hint.

I've never even heard of '335. What is it's application? "Tell" me "more". Laughing!

Now as to glass,I cain't comment in the firsthand upon much more than mebbe 100 Fixed Fhuqkers. I know of noone that's puked one,but more than a few folks have tried and I doubt I've much more than 200,000rds through 'em. I'm sandbagging. Hint.

It'll come as a "surprise" ONLY to someone who "does" as "much" as you,that Fixed Fhuqkers have really stolen THE Fhuqking Show,with their incredible rugged reliability. All parties are dumping Reupolds(especially the newest generations,which are THE schittiest) and fielding Fixed Fhuqker attributes. For some not so fhuqking strange reason,the rEupold Puke Count goes lowr every year and that due the fact that less Reupolds are being entrusted upon Hunts. Hint. Read that again. Now one more time. Re-hint.

As to stalwart rugged reliability,Fixed Fhuqkers connect more dots than anything else. That due the fhuqking FACT that their erector travel cannot be touched,nor their windshield,rear parallax is discreet and a great aid,with their modest weight/length sealing that deal. You'll wanna read that again,now one more fhuqking time. Hint.

The "trevails" of your "trying" My Little Pony "pursuits" is absolutely fhuqking HILARIOUS and it'd take someone as "steeped" as you,to be so very fhuqking reliably STUMPED. Hint.

The only thing you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination. It is an unfortunate constant,that you are devoid an inkling of your stellar DUMBfhuqktitude and it's incredible magnitude.

Here's to the perpetual hilarity,of you doing your "best".

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

Tanner,

It's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.(grin)

I've never put a scratch on anything.

Laughing!............

Jordan,

If there was something better,I'd simply use it.

That fact,tends to REALLY fhuqk with Window Licker's heads.

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tanner

+1

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the lower profile, stiffer turrets of the SWFA 3-9 and 10x HD. The larger knobs of the cheaper fixed powers and 3-15 is where myself and several acquaintances have seen issues.

Never had an issue with the fixed powers myself. The turrets spinning unwanted can be mitigated by a simple wrap of electric tape or by using the rubber gasket zero stop. Different strokes I suppose.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tanner

+1

Never had an issue with the fixed powers myself. The turrets spinning unwanted can be mitigated by a simple wrap of electric tape or by using the rubber gasket zero stop. Different strokes I suppose.

Tanner

Same. Multiple 3-9's and fixed powers have been fine riding on my pack, truck, ATV, etc. With a little preemptive thought and consideration, unwanted turret spinning is an easy problem to fix/prevent.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m glad you guys haven’t seen an issue, but I have, as have others, even with the gasket fix. Either way, the scopes still don’t fit well in a saddle scabbard, which may not be an issue for many but it is to me - my backpack rifles are also my everything else rifles. But like Tanner mentioned, different strokes - I was just using those scopes as an example, and the H335 trying to blow up guns in hot conditions (or shooting way off in cold) is probably better at getting my point across about something working in one specific locale but being a poor choice for all around use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turret spinning is one thing, but I can definitely understand wanting to go a different direction for scabbard use.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Tanner

Same here. I shoot a lot of ping pong sorta bullets but can't find much to not like about the SWFA's. The SS directs them pretty well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turret spinning is one thing, but I can definitely understand wanting to go a different direction for scabbard use.

Without a doubt. I don't use scabbards but can see big turrets being an issue in them, for sure.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Conditions of the argument:

Cartridges: 6.5 Creed, 147 ELD match, 2700 ft/sec, 280 AI, 150 ELD-X, 3000 ft/sec

Conditions: 70 degrees, 500 ft elev, scope 1.5” above line of bore, 200 yd zero, 10 mph, 90 degree wind

Other pertinent: mountain hunting, OP defined “6-700 yards”

Elev, Drift
6.5/280AI, 6.5/280 AI, 280 AI/162 ELD
300 -7.6/-6.2, 4.3/4.7, -6.5/4.1
400 -21.7/-17.8, 8.0/8.4, -18.5/7.5
500 -42.8/-35.5, 12.8/13.6, -36.7/12.0
600 -71.4/-60.2, 18.7/20.3, -61.7/17.8
700 -108.4/-92.6, 26.0/28.4, -94.1/24.8

Delta -15.8, 2.4, -14.3/-1.2

Think I’ll stick be my original statement that led you to include me in your rant – the 7mm 150/160 grain bullet in a Kimber is tough to beat for mountain hunting.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/31/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To make it a bit more clear.

Elevation
........6.5/147....7mm/150.....7mm/162

300......-7.6.......-6.2.........-7.7
400......-21.7.....-17.8........-21.9
500......-42.8.....-35.5........-43.2
600......-71.4.....-60.2........-72.4
700......-108.4....-92.6........-109.9

Wind - 10 mph at 90 deg

.......6.5/147....7mm/150.....7mm/162

To make it more clear. All bullets are Hornady ELD (match) or ELDX (hunting).

To address your recoil comment, I threw in a 7mm-08 shooting a 162 ELD match to even the playing field - 6.5 match bullet against 0.284 match bullet both running at 2700. The 6.5 does crush the 0.284 running similar cartridges - 1.5" on elie, 1.3" on windage at 700 yards.

I'm back to my orignal statement that you took exception to: a good 150/160 0.284 bullet is tough to beat for mountain hunting. Especially if hunting bullets are used.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/31/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tanner,

I'd heard of those fixed power scopes,but have long defaulted to the countless advantages afforded by variables,especially of the SFP and The Tiny Turret Equine Variety. What is REALLY important here,is muzzle velocity and with it in hand and 15X or better,things really come together on a Pony Safari. Laughing!

I toted a rifle once and even got a scratch on one(dropped it in the house). Would be nice if someone would build a $.99 bubble level indicator,to go on top of rings I'll break,so as to steer my Ping Pong Balls and get the most outta my SFP NightFarce.

Fhuqking people crack me the fhuqk up!!!

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!............

Jordan,

A pard was trying to drive through an Alder Jungle on his 4-Wheeler and had a limb catch his rifle,spin him like a fhuqking top,hook the sling,catapult said rifle off and forward...to be timed perfectly,so his now unmanned vehicle could drive over same. It put a nice bend in the erector spindle,but the turret stayed index to "0" and POA/POI didn't change. Funny to watch him whirl Bent Knob,but erector travel/integrity is not affected. Prolly weren't a Reupold(grin). Gotsta LOVE Fixed Fhuqker rugged reliability.

I'd rather gun a Fixed Fhuqker for killing,with both turrets removed and happily gun the windshield alone,than suffer most anything that ANY other Manufacturer "offers" in it's full plumage.

You just might be onto sumptin',that given about a nanosecond's thunk...a gawddamned fhuqking turret,just might not be as "tricky" as Window Lickers "think".(grin)

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!.................

'goat,

Are you bitching or bragging? Congratulations?!?

Someone who "knows" and "does" as "much" as you...is ALWAYS going to be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

What else is whooping your ass,besides something sooooo very "tricky" and "Technical" as a turret,while you are riding your My Little Pony on one of your Hollie Hobby "Adventures"? How often does the velcro on your shoes come loose? How often does the Blue Parking Permit on your Sway Back Nag come loose? How many tries does it take you to sneak up on a glass of water,on the average? I'm fhuqking crying...I'm laughing soooooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Very MUCH enjoyed your "Exploding Rifle Theorum",to corroborate the rest of your Drooling DUMBFhuqk DUMBFhuqkery. Please do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you expound upon even more fascinating "particulars",of all the things you cain't do...that troubles noone else on the Planet.

Hint.

Just saying.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..............

beretzs,

Awright,awright...awright. That is IT,I'm gonna order me one of them there Fixed Fhuqkers and see what the fuss is all about. You boys is bad influences!

Tough to beat NPT's.

Laughing!...........

'winters,

There's nothing to "argue",you Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk. Not that I do not enjoy you "telling" me,about all the wares I shoot,as you use your Imagination and Pretend to "do" the same. Congratulations?!?

You be certain to change velocity and "cite" boolits you've never even fhuqking seen,let alone "shot",in platforms you've never even fhuqking seen or shot,as the "Warm/Fuzzy" in your Drooling DUMBfhuqkery. Pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess...simply because I shoot it all. Hint.

I personally find it fascinating,that despite your Estrogen Fueled Outbursts in regards to how much you "do not care",that you are consumed with obliviously quantifying your Do NOTHING DUMBfhuqktitude,by perpetually talking out your ass. Dangle some pics of these Phantom Rifles and Phantom Boolits and feel free to plagiarize as you MUST and lie as you do. Hint. Laughing!

Gettin' a kick outta the bandwidth you consumed,to let a long action cartridge wearing more barrel length,weight and recoil,to nearly hang with an itty-bitty short action offering,while holding your breath and stomping your itty-bitty feet,to reiterate your Mountain Hissy Fit.

Pardon Reality,colliding with your fhuqking Fantasy,you CLUELESS Kchunt. The Kreedmire Montucky parcel is farrrrrrrrr and away the friendliest and most forgiving of the lot. Due them FACTS,it will connect more dots by literal default,due mechanical advantages...that any/all folks who ACTUALLY shoot,can/will/do fathom immediately. This of course excludes you. Laughing!

Go for the throat and dangle some pics of these Phantom Wares and delve deeper into how your version of "knowledge","experience" and "results",grants you the requisite Imagination and Pretend to concoct DUMBfhuqk Delusions,as per your whim. If it helps,be sure to swipe some of my Splendid Pixels. LAUGHING!

If it helps your Imagination and Pretend,be SURE to "convince" yourself that I've never seen/shot ANY of it,if only to bolster your "courage". Jeezus Gawddamned Fhuqk,you Amazingly STUPID Fhuqks never disappoint and the humor is ONLY Epic,because I've zero doubt you are doing your "best". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never had a turret move once on this outfit...been in and out of this scabbard thousands of times, as you can see.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (BALLISTIK, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 300_savage, Aero, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,139
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.